No announcement yet.

painted Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I know... it's my cardomain site, but theres a picture of my bike with the carbs panited grey/metal.

they were already recently cleaned. all I did was take the rails and tops off. masked off the inlets, the now open tops, and the ports. had them off, prepped, painted, and back on within about 6 hours, all while painting a few other various things.

in the 6-9 months since I've painted them, only one side of one of the bowls has had the paint stripped off, when I forgot to install the fuel line clamp and it leaked out for a few hours. the picture was taken 3-4 month after I'd painted them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H View Post
      Wow steve, thats exactly what I was thinking of doing for my bike's engine. Looks good man. How did you polish the head fins? Did you tape them, or just clean them up afterward with a sanding block?

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, Mike.

I don't think that taping off the fins would work as there is not much there to stick the tape to, and you would probably have to use pinstriping tape.

I planned on using a sanding block, but found that the edges of the fins are not all aligned, so I waited a couple of days for the paint to dry completely, then used a flat file, since there was also considerable casting flash on several of the edges. Using a file took off the flash and left a nice, flat, shiny edge. \\/

Looking back, I suppose that I might true up the edges of the fins FIRST, then paint, then clean the paint off the edges. Using a good, sharp file leaves a finish that looks like the edges were machined, an added bonus.\\/

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X