Black engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black engines?

Has anybody done a near or full blackout of their engine? I'd love to see pictures of it.

All I've ever seen is my 750, and that's just the cylinders and head

I'm strongly considering doing this myself and am wondering if it's a real piece de resistance on a streetfighter or hooligan bike conversion. Thanks!
    Last edited by Guest; 01-08-2007, 07:00 PM.

One black motor coming up.
    Careful though...Rumors have it the black motors are the fastest
    Black motor courtesy of Suzuki\\/
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Blacked out engines certainly look good. PJ1 Black Engine paint seems to be the choice.

I plan on doing it on my bike (Photoshop mockup shown here):

Comment

As you can see, some of the 1100's and all of the 1150's came in black. The 1150's all came in black because they are so blistering fast, only black was appropriate! :-D

I've been debating on my Beast whether to do it in all black, or black with polished cases like you have. I think I'll go all black, including the carbs, and then if I don't like it, I can strip and polish.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

black is beautiful!!!

Not quite all black but they do run faster.\\/
          Last edited by Guest; 01-08-2007, 11:32 PM.

Comment

My 1983 GS850G came with the blacked out engine. The cases, head, and cylinders are black, and the clutch cover, alternator cover, ignition cover, etc. were shiny aluminum.

Things...happened. Ugly things. The cylinder head got replaced with one from a 1981 model (unpainted) and later on, more ugly things happened and the bottom end got replaced with a 1980 example, also unpainted.

So now the only black part is the cylinders.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a very low-mileage 1980 engine, and I plan to paint it black to mimic the original look of the 1983 engine. I'm also going to have a friend help me polish the case covers.

Should look a lot better than this come spring. And unless you count the valve cover bolts, you'll never know.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by isaac View Post
              Has anybody done a near or full blackout of their engine? I'd love to see pictures of it.
              I dig your bike man, it looks pretty good. I would keep it the way it is if it were me, Im painting all the covers black and the rest of my motor is silver. I really like the way your motor looks tho, wish I could change it around.

Comment

Here's one outside the bike. You'll have to use your imagination to get past the masking tape.

Comment

Looking good there. What type of paint did you use - PJ1 black engine paint?

Originally posted by Mike_H View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H View Post
                    Here's one outside the bike. You'll have to use your imagination to get past the masking tape.
                    That's looking good! What kind of paint/primer are you using? Are you going to paint or polish the side covers?
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

if you are going to paint your motor, especially black then i would use this stuff

http://www.kgcoatings.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=2300

it also helps disperse heat, and it is what team yoshimura used on the cooley bikes.

-ryan
                      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x
                      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

My black engine 1100E

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                          That's looking good! What kind of paint/primer are you using? Are you going to paint or polish the side covers?
                          Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                          Looking good there. What type of paint did you use - PJ1 black engine paint?
                          Thanks for the compliments guys.

Bruce, Yes, the covers are already half polished, just threw them back on covered with masking tape to keep paint outta the internals of the engine.

I am using a Duplicolor product, its a semi-gloss high temp engine paint. We'll see how it holds up. I've had pretty good luck with Duplicolor's products in the past, and their rattlecans spray better than any others I've used. The Paint is rated for 500 degress F, and I did not primer. I basically scuffed (with a brass wire brush) all the existing engine paint before spraying, and the original silver paint was in pretty good shape (not flaking off). To get into the fins, I used a copper brush from my rifle cleaning kit. They're about 5 bucks, (the brushes) from sorting goods stores. I screwed the brush into the handle extension, and chucked the whole mess into my cordless drill. Worked pretty slick. I'll post more pictures when I finish up. I see some silver showing through in the pictures, that I did not see in person.

Comment

Nice work, gentlemen! Doing the same thing with my bike (repainting, that is...) I am using Duplicolor high heat "Cast Coast Aluminum". Already have the valve cover and the oil pan done and clear coated too. I really think that no matter what color you use, the polished engine covers really sets things off.
                            Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Here's another black engine

Originally posted by isaac View Post

All I've ever seen is my 750, and that's just the cylinders and head

I'm strongly considering doing this myself and am wondering if it's a real piece de resistance on a streetfighter or hooligan bike conversion. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X