Megga exhaust for Zilla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megga exhaust for Zilla

Before I get blasted for how silly this looks let me just say that this was cheap and easy considering I have very little money to spend on Zilla right now.

My step son was working on a exhaust for a buddy of his car and cut off the (what I call a fart can) muffler he had on there to put on a different one. Well he jokingly asked if I wanted it for my car (dont think it would work well with my '85 Monte Carlo SS) and originaly said no.

So it wound up sitting on the garage floor for a while till I got to a point that I couldnt stand the whine of the unbaffled 4-1 Zila exhaust. Looking at the muffler I saw the exit was the same size as the exit on the 4-1. Wheels started turning in my head and came up with the idea of using a band clamp to attach the two and if it ran like crap then all I was out of was $19 (clamp) and 5 minutes of time.

Well got it bolted up today after work and took the Zilla up to about 80 which would normally be deafening and letting off at that speed would result in a lot of popping a craking but not this time. Doesnt seem to be any lag on the throttle and runs really smooth with a throaty low tone, the result no doubt due to the 4 foot long exhaust.

Anyway this is by no means a permanent solution but if you ever in a bind for a baffle heres an idea that can get you by pretty cheap.

actualy would look great if you cut a few inches off your existing pipe

Comment

Originally posted by Vegerito View Post
      actualy would look great if you cut a few inches off your existing pipe
      Yep I thought the same exact thing! But I wanted to be sure I liked the sound before hacking my exhaust. Might just get a baffle for it if I can find one cheap but this will do till winter I guess. Tring to avoid rejetting for now.:-D
      Last edited by Guest; 09-06-2007, 11:20 PM. Reason: looked like my post didnt post

Comment

it would be a shame to chop up that orginal yosh pipe you have there. if it is to loud sell the 4-1 on ebay and use the money to buy a new vance and hines system with a baffel. or get a mac system which will have a even great noise reducing baffel. but please don't chop up a nice looking vintage yosh pipe, they are very hard to find. BTW they did come with a baffel at one point someone must have removed it.
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
          it would be a shame to chop up that orginal yosh pipe you have there. if it is to loud sell the 4-1 on ebay and use the money to buy a new vance and hines system with a baffel. or get a mac system which will have a even great noise reducing baffel. but please don't chop up a nice looking vintage yosh pipe, they are very hard to find. BTW they did come with a baffel at one point someone must have removed it.
          I think I could get an after market baffle to put back in there. Unless I decide to go back to the stock 4-2 system. It would have to be gun to my head, last resort before I'd hack this exhaust. I'd probably trade it before cutting but I did think about it .

Comment

maybe this would work - replacement baffel
            KOITOTO sebagai Bandar Toto Macau terbesar dan terpercaya di Indonesia menjadi rekomendasi permainan terbaik yang tidak akan pernah bikin anda merasa kecewa.

might have to call them
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I have to admit that back when I was young and foolish and much poorer, the V&H muffler on my KZ650 decided to remove itself and pretty much disintegrate completely on a lonely back road.

After a few days of REALLY LOUD exhaust and lean running, I went to AutoZone and rummaged through their catalog to find a Cherry Bomb glass pack (you know, bright red, cylindrical) with a compatible inlet diameter. Close -- I found a Cherry Bomb and an adaptor that worked.

It sounded nice and mellow, and I found a way to mount it where it was tucked in quite nicely. It still looked like pure cobbled-together crap (which it was), but that Cherry Bomb worked like a charm and stayed on the bike for at least two or three years until I graduated college and scraped together the cash for a Mac system.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X