Post a picture of your custom GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunburn View Post
    That's tragic. GS crashed into a Harley and was fused together. If I had a gun, i'd shoot it and put it out of it's misery.

Sunburn, thanks for bashing my style. I appreciate the fact that there are some people out there that can take a bike and restore it to its original luster but that’s not my style. Where is the imagination? I went to a bike show recently and there were about 10 bikes in it but in the parking lot behind it was where everyone parked their bikes and I noticed that all the bikes looked just like the ones next to it. That’s because they were ALL Harleys. Same wind shield, same bags, same tasseled leather chaps and same missing teeth. I would rather be the guy that was different.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2009, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dignan View Post
      Always wondered what a GS tank would look like sectioned like that.. I dig it. Hold about a gallon and a half now?
      My 78 gs has a chopped and sectioned stock tank. Yes it hold about 1 1/2 gallons of gas. with no fuel guage or speedo, have to stop and fill up about every 60 miles. Kind of a pain on a long ride

Comment

Originally posted by cplcrawlerUSMC View Post
        I appreciate the fact that there are some people out there that can take a bike and restore it to its original luster but that’s not my style. Where is the imagination?
        I agree!!
        Anyone with a basic toolset can bring a bike back from the dead in its original form but it takes real talent and imagination to make something custom.
        Cutting, welding and bending metal, fiberglass and plastic into something that cant be purchased off the shelf or online is for adults with skill.

Although your bike is not my style I can still appreciate the hard word and tenacity it takes to build something like that.

Keep it up!
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Sunburn, thanks for bashing my style. I appreciate the fact that there are some people out there that can take a bike and restore it to its original luster but that’s not my style. Where is the imagination? I went to a bike show recently and there were about 10 bikes in it but in the parking lot behind it was where everyone parked their bikes and I noticed that all the bikes looked just like the ones next to it. That’s because they were ALL Harleys. Same wind shield, same bags, same tasseled leather chaps and same missing teeth. I would rather be the guy that was different.

Yeah, I was just trying to be funny. I enjoy looking at all custom work and improvements.

Based on your post I thought you bought it like that and just re-painted it? Seemed the tank is high and above the bars and might cause a problem if you hit the brakes too hard. I guess you solved that by removing the front brakes. No rear suspension, brake lights or turn signals.

I guess i should have said "it's cool, but not my cup of tea".

Mark

Comment

While I do not believe in bashing a bike for 'style'; if I think it looks goofy I may crack a joke. Safety is another matter. Each motorcycle represents all motorcycles in the public eye. That 'chopper, bobber, junker' does not even come close to being street legal or meeting basic safety standards.

That bike is not an exercise in style, it's just a very low quality rat bike that is fundamentally unsafe and illegal most everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by DMorris View Post
              While I do not believe in bashing a bike for 'style'; if I think it looks goofy I may crack a joke. Safety is another matter. Each motorcycle represents all motorcycles in the public eye. That 'chopper, bobber, junker' does not even come close to being street legal or meeting basic safety standards.

That bike is not an exercise in style, it's just a very low quality rat bike that is fundamentally unsafe and illegal most everywhere.
              Riding without a helmet is usafe too but it should be the choice of the rider, not anyone else.
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Lotta effort, but the tank just sucks. Realize the tripple backbone causes grief, tank selection wise, but I'd cut the backbone outta it and gone with a single, or built a tank for it.

Rehashed a Virago tank on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                  Riding without a helmet is usafe too but it should be the choice of the rider, not anyone else.
                  riding with a helmet should be a legal requirement in my opinion
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                    riding with a helmet should be a legal requirement in my opinion
                    You're right, it is you're opinion.

It fact that the world is over populated. The strong and wise live and evolve.
                    Would be a much better place to live if saftey laws where a choice.
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Good one ! Way to defend the constitution. Like smoking, drinking, and eating junk food until you explode. Thanks for the health insurance crisis.

I dont care what you ride / build. Just dont endanger me, you, or anyone else with it.

Now, back to some more bike pictures.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

life is about choice. Brakes, helmets and brake lights are a choice.

I choose life....

Comment

I would agree with you if the liability for the unsafe acts or conditions was completely born by the rider but society shares in the liability for the unsafe act. We all pay for disabilities and deaths on a number of levels.

The rider is in the public arena, not operating on privately held property.

Comment

Originally posted by DMorris View Post
                            I would agree with you if the liability for the unsafe acts or conditions was completely born by the rider but society shares in the liability for the unsafe act. We all pay for disabilities and deaths on a number of levels.
                            Which is a subject for a different thread all together.
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I bought it in late October last year and had time to ride it once for about a half hour. Living in Illinois it got too cold to ride quick so I haven't had enough time on it to tell how painfull it is to ride. I had a friend start rebuilding the engine in April and he got busy and had to push my bike aside for a while. The engine is ready to go back together now. I wanted to get it road worthy and safe to ride before I hopped on. There was no front brake period and the back brake, I realized was missing some bolts after I dropped it off to get worked on while we were looking it over. So needless to say it needs a lot of work.
                              I just wanted to quote what I have already posted. I know the bike is very unsafe and thats why I havent ridden it except for when I first bought it a year ago. I wont ride it until it is safe to ride.

Those are old pictures I posted to show my progress . When it is finished it wont even look like it does now.

I have a helmet and it is Snell DOT rated and will never ride with out one. I have 4 friends that have passed away from bikes and none of which had one on.

I didnt just go to a junk yard and find a bike that ran just to have one. I bought it to "make my own bike".

Anyways, thanks guys for the criticism. I would rather get tips and help on how to fix the bike instead though. Love ya all!! And you dont have to worry about me being on the road until next year at the minimum.

Comment

Dude, un-helmeted riders who get hurt are such a drop in the bucket regarding insurance and health cost. Go complain about the deadbeats of society that dont pay squat, go to emergency rooms because they have a tooth ache, ear ache, flu or a cold, and we, the tax payers end up paying for it. Take that stand, but dont sit here and blame that mess on wether your wearing a helmet or not. Thats just b.s., in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X