Post a picture of your custom GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"67fire"
    that bike is right at home here. thanks for putting the pictures up. i bet it runs like a cheeta on fire. and great job on the motor swaplooks like it was made to go there
    iv got to get me some slotted disks those look nice

Comment

Now that I think I have found a new home for me and Frankencycle, I just might wash and wax it tomorrow and take some good pictures. I truly did not know that there were others out there that still kept these alive!
      I had to sell my '84 V-65 Sabre because it was boring compared to my "old" bike. LOL!
      I fine tuned the carb jets a few days ago and now it runs just as scary as with the 34CV's!
      If I was still in my twenties, I would most certainly be dead!!! Yes it moves!
      Considering going down to the stock gearing or closer anyway.

Eric

Should this be moved to the performance mods thread?
      Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2009, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aus781000 View Post
        G’day
        I'm a rookie here - it's my first post. Great site to all involved and who post to it. I recently purchased a ‘78 GS1000 after deciding on an old road bike to customise a bit and ride. From what I could read the bigger GS bikes were the first big displacement UJM’s that handled well.
        Going solo seat didn’t worry me as I’m newly back into bikes and don’t want to risk my wife and kids on the back yet and on an older bike. After much looking about I was confused as I liked all sorts of bits and pieces from different styles. What a recipe: add bit of bobber, chopper, cafe racer, flat-track, low-rider, cruiser, hot rod, naked, fat (phat?) look, streetfighter etc.
        In the end I didn’t want to clone anyone or any particular bike or style but was a bit concerned about how it would turn out so I decided to make changes that I would appreciate anyhow and with any luck a few others might also. I wanted to achieve the following: reasonable budget, old school, eye-catching, nearly legal, retain rear suspension and tailbox, change exhaust styling plus lower headlight, gauge pod, suspension and solo seat. It’s coming together now but still needs a few minor bits plus small indicators and pod filters. Plan to do a photo-chop showing a ‘78’ on the tank and whitewalls and see what it looks like before committing to that. Might even make up some super low solid struts for the ear end to see how it looks and rides. If wondering the rear guard (offcut from the front one) is attached to the swingarm and the numberplate is on hinges and swings up when the suspension moves.
        Regards
        Is your rear fender tied to the rear brake calipher? If so, how does the rear suspension have any travel?

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
          Is your rear fender tied to the rear brake calipher? If so, how does the rear suspension have any travel?
          The rear fender (the chrome bit currently) is attached to caliper mount and axle spacer and stays in same proximity to the tyre and moves with the suspension. The rego plate higes up when the suspension compresses. Any clearer?

Comment

Originally posted by 67fire View Post
            Now that I think I have found a new home for me and Frankencycle, I just might wash and wax it tomorrow and take some good pictures. I truly did not know that there were others out there that still kept these alive!
            I had to sell my '84 V-65 Sabre because it was boring compared to my "old" bike. LOL!
            I fine tuned the carb jets a few days ago and now it runs just as scary as with the 34CV's!
            If I was still in my twenties, I would most certainly be dead!!! Yes it moves!
            Considering going down to the stock gearing or closer anyway.

Eric

Should this be moved to the performance mods thread?
            Welcome to the madhouse! Nice looking bike, and nice mods! It would be nice to see it in person. I'll be at bike night next wednesday at PJ's on Wells...maybe I'll see you there!
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Wednesday the 22nd? PJ's ? What time does this take place and how often?
              I saw your screen-name and was going to ask where in Washoe Valley you are. LOL!
              As for this: "Nice looking bike," Surely you are joking!

Eric
              Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2009, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 67fire View Post
                Wednesday the 22nd? PJ's ? What time does this take place and how often?
                I saw your screen-name and was going to ask where in Washoe Valley you are. LOL!
                As for this: "Nice looking bike," Surely you are joking!

Eric
                Looks pretty good to me! PJ's has a bike night every Wednesday. Starts around 5:00. I'll send you a PM
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by Aus781000 View Post
                  The rear fender (the chrome bit currently) is attached to caliper mount and axle spacer and stays in same proximity to the tyre and moves with the suspension. The rego plate higes up when the suspension compresses. Any clearer?
                  Gothcha'. Just curious how that was fit together. The way you have it keeps the fender close to the tire which is a nice look for that bike.

Comment

What do i need to set my 1981 GS 650 with that air intake, I want to get rid of box intake.

Comment

all fixed up but something flew off!

well i fixed the carbs. finally tuned . the only problem now is i took it for a spin and right after i took off some thing that i can only describe as..... well dust! yeah i know it sounds wried but dust was blowing off my bike. whats that all about

thanks for all your help guys! let me know if i can return the favor

Comment

1981 gs750e

Picked her up for $300, complete and running, but very ugly and neglected. With my work and school schedule it took me six months to complete. I replaced every bearing and seal, new rubber, chain, and a lot of elboy grease and paint. The seat cowl is from caferace inc out of Colorado, which required some cutting and welding of additional brackets. I decided to go with a single automotive style cone filter just for a unique look. The jetting still needs some tweaking, but overall runs very well for a alomost 30 year old bike.

Comment

Originally posted by melkman View Post
                          Picked her up for $300, complete and running, but very ugly and neglected. With my work and school schedule it took me six months to complete. I replaced every bearing and seal, new rubber, chain, and a lot of elboy grease and paint. The seat cowl is from caferace inc out of Colorado, which required some cutting and welding of additional brackets. I decided to go with a single automotive style cone filter just for a unique look. The jetting still needs some tweaking, but overall runs very well for a alomost 30 year old bike.

Very nice job. Love your bike!

Comment

Well done, Melkman. What did you replace the tank badge with ?

Comment

I like what you've done!

Comment

Wicked...

Comment

Working...
                                X