Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glass Beading your engine...is it the best method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found that if you use baking soda in the blast cabinet it works as well as glass bead and if you leave any behind in the parts after cleaning it wont do any harm. This was recomended to me by a friend that works at a co. that produces missle parts from aluminum and that is what they use because it works and is less expensive.

Comment

fortunately I have access to a blast cabinet at work.....

Before....

and after.....

The lines you see inside the cylinders are a fresh hone job I did.

As for the clearcoating, I have no idea how it hols up to the heat. Anyone???

Comment

Oh, B.T.W. if you hit it with an air nozzle after blasting it, then clean it thoroughly in a solvent tank, then the air nozzle (about 100 p.s.i.) again, to both dry it, and clear any additional residual contaminents away, you should be golden.

Comment

Originally posted by spdjunkie

and after.....

Slobber, drool, covet, want... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

After I bead blasted my cases I ran them thru the dishwasher. Don't laugh it cleaned all the crap out wonderfully. Just put them upside down & run them thru one at a time (because they are so heavy). You don't need to use the heat cycle, they dry almost as soon as you take them out. Spray wd-40 on anything that might rust.
            Oh Yeh, make sure your wife is out of the house for a few hours!! LOL
            80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by spdjunkie
              As for the clearcoating, I have no idea how it hols up to the heat. Anyone???
              VHT 1200 degree clear. I used it to topcoat my pipes after I painted them black. No peeling or wrinkling after one season. Can't attest to color change as the pipes were black. The paint does hold the gloss. One word of caution, when you heat cure the paint make sure you wash off all particulate matter from the painted surface first. If you don't it will melt into the paint.

Comment

Working...
              X