Corbin or stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corbin or stock?

Taking a poll....can't decide on which seat to go with.....Stock or Corbin?

Stock

Corbin

It's rather easy to decide.

Put one of them on. Go for a ride. Not down to the corner, go to the corner of the state. If you live near a corner of your state, go to another corner. Return home. Put on the other seat, repeat.

Unless it's absolutely hideous (and neither one of those seats matches that description), comfort ranks much higher than looks, in my book. I am usually riding too much to let anyone actually see the seat, they only see me sitting on it. When I am off the bike, I will probably not be close enough to it for anyone to think that it might be my bike, so I won't hear what they are saying about it.

Yep, comfort RULES!!

(If you don't believe me, just look at the bikes in the links below, for 'mine', the first one for 'hers', and the first one for '#1 son'.)

Last edited by Steve; 12-05-2008, 10:52 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have a lot of miles on both. For me the Corbin was more comfortable and I like the stylng better. Even though the Corbin has less padding, becuase its wider and has the saddle shape it put less pressure on your back side.

The squarer shape of the stock seat created a pressure point for me on the outside edges.
      I can still remember some 500 plus days on a cross country trip where I was in agony but hey just about anything causes agony after 300 miles.

I'd get your Corbin recovered if you like the comfort. Your stock seat looks like its in good shape. The stock seats look good enough styling wise that if you find them to be comfortable then save some money.

Have you had a chance to try the reach betwen both seats and your new bars? I've always been a fan of the all black Corbins (like yours) with different texture/weave fabrics on the upper and lower portions and red piping look nice.

Comment

reach

The stock seats gives me about an inch more leg extension, which sits me closer to the bars. However the Corbin is much more compfy. As far as costs the Corbin will be about $200 plus shipping to have recoverd and the stocker I can get recovered through Sargents for under $100.

Comment

I have both too. The Corbin is much better looking, but I rarely use it.....prefer the stock seating position, as it places the rider higher up, and with some rider weight on the bars, with Superbike-bend bars.
          Tony.
          '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
          Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Corbin......

Comment

I agree -- take some time and let your butt decide.

But what's wrong with the cover on the Corbin? And why would they charge more to re-cover it than the stock seat? Can you get it re-covered through Corbin and not Sargent?

A third alternative might be to go with the stock seat (if you like the positioning and such better), but replace some of the foam with an insert made from Sargent's Super Cell foam. It made all the difference for me -- 25 year old foam isn't much good to sit on.

Thusly:
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Stock looks better. If it's all about looks stay with the stock.

Maybe just take pictures with the stock but ride it with the Corbin

Comment

Corbins are usually pretty hard until they've been used for a year or more. Then the padding begins to give a bit.

I agree with Steve - let your butt decide! Whichever you feel is more comfortable on long rides is what I'd have on it!

Comment

Working...
                  X