The 80 gs1000 chopper build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 80 gs1000 chopper build

Okay well ive been working on my first build ever so i figured i would post the pictures in one thread here. bare with me, i have alot of pictures. Here goes.

the day i got the bike.

trying to start it

shortly after. Chopped the back rails off for that bobber look.

the bobber look didnt last long before i got the bug and chose to go all out. Hell, i got the bike for free.

chopped the neck to add 1" on the lower side. My trail now measures at exactly 7".

cut off the whole rear frams section in preperation for the hardtail.

whats left of the frame

Comment

rear frame rail placement

shaft side mount

brake side mount

Comment

detail of how i reused the origional bolt on the shaft side

the finished rear section ( i was going to use the tank of an 80's model honda at first. it looked okay before i chopped the frame but now the stock looks better.

welding detail

Comment

with the added rake and hardtail

trying to figure out how i wanted the seatpan and other body panels

right before i tore it down to prep for paint

Comment

Here are some misc pictures through the build.

forks before

before

after

and after

Comment

fuel gauge

cutting and reinforcing the front fender to be used on the rear

i was going to use rear fender struts and a formed seat but i scratched that idea. The seat pictures was just a temped up piece to get a visual.

Comment

Well there she is. Im clearing the frame now, The fork seals got replace tonight. Still gotta paint all the tins (tank, side covers, fenders) and i can get it back to a rolling chassis.

Then the engine gets some attention. Rebuild carbs, valve adjusting, ect.

Im pretty excited as this is my first build and it has certinly gone alot more into depth then i had EVER expected. I got the bike free from a friend, It hadnt run in nine years and still had 3 gallons of fuel in the tank. NASTY!!

It took me about an hour of staring at the thing in his garage before i finally said i'd take it. Im glad i did now

Hopefully you guys like it. I wanted something a little different.

Any pointers or advice and sudgestions are welcome.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jmlcolorado View Post
                  Well there she is. Im clearing the frame now, The fork seals got replace tonight. Still gotta paint all the tins (tank, side covers, fenders) and i can get it back to a rolling chassis.

Then the engine gets some attention. Rebuild carbs, valve adjusting, ect.

Im pretty excited as this is my first build and it has certinly gone alot more into depth then i had EVER expected. I got the bike free from a friend, It hadnt run in nine years and still had 3 gallons of fuel in the tank. NASTY!!

It took me about an hour of staring at the thing in his garage before i finally said i'd take it. Im glad i did now

Hopefully you guys like it. I wanted something a little different.

Any pointers or advice and sudgestions are welcome.

Thanks
                  That is one nasty/sweet lookin fine piece of machinery.

Great work

Comment

Lookin good there man...

Comment

Not much for the hardtail concept myself, but it looks like you have done a fine job so far.

Looking forward to the final pictures.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Not much for the hardtail concept myself, but it looks like you have done a fine job so far.

Looking forward to the final pictures.

Yeah i wasnt sure if many people would like the idea but i figured i'd toss it out there anyways.

Thanks for the compliments guys

Comment

i have a question when you rewelded the front end did you have to remove anything from the neck? or did you just do it with everything assembled

Comment

Originally posted by elevatorman71 View Post
                            i have a question when you rewelded the front end did you have to remove anything from the neck? or did you just do it with everything assembled
                            I left everything together when i cut the neck. I left an 1/8" attached at the very top to hold it together. Once i found the angle i was looking for, i tack welded it to keep in place then i removed everthing to do the final weld.

Two resons, first to have no obstructions when welding and two to keep the bearings and races from warping. Plus there are dust covers on the upper (plastic) and lower (metal wrapped in rubber) bearings.

You do not want your races in the neck to warp!!! The upper was simple to remove using a brass punch. The lower was a bit tricky because you cant access the bottom with a strait punch cause the neck has a flare at the bottom. Gotta use something bent a little about half an inch from the bottom th clear the flare out.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Looks good! What color is the tank going to be when it's done?

Comment

Working...
                              X