No announcement yet.

The 80 gs1000 chopper build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bike looks great how did it feel to have it move on its own again? would love to know specifics on the pipe you used for your new frame pieces

Comment

chopper

I have to be honest I'm some what of purist when comes to cutting up a GS. However this one looks fantastic! Clean lines, great color, very tastefully done...BRAVO!

Comment

That looks great. When I was in my 20's I bought a rigid panhead basket case from a guy. He said he didn't want to mess with it since his back wouldn't tolerate riding it anyways. Now that I'm older, I know what he means. The bike looks great but my back wouldn't last ten minutes on it. Great bike, I hope you enjoy it.

Comment

Absolutely gorgeous!

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
            That looks great. When I was in my 20's I bought a rigid panhead basket case from a guy. He said he didn't want to mess with it since his back wouldn't tolerate riding it anyways. Now that I'm older, I know what he means. The bike looks great but my back wouldn't last ten minutes on it. Great bike, I hope you enjoy it.

Yeah im pretty scrunched up in this one. Ill probably end up flipping the bars and building some forwards soon. I like the sleek look for now though

Originally posted by bigmike1980
            I have to be honest I'm some what of purist when comes to cutting up a GS. However this one looks fantastic! Clean lines, great color, very tastefully done...BRAVO!
            Thanks! Its 0.18 wall pipe. Rather thick. But it takes a ton to bend and cut. Great for hot, deep penetrating welds

As for riding it "again"..... this is the first ride ever on the thing. Although i did coast it down the street as a rolling chassis once

Originally posted by Texatl
            Absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you very much. I didnt know if anyone on this particular site would like it too much. Not many chopped up gs's here. But i got the thing for free, and i wanted something unique. I was born in the eightys so nothing from the eightys (style) doesnt mean all that much to me as it might for others.

If it wasnt for this site and all its members, i never woulda gotten it to this point though. I own alot of thanks here!!

Comment

So you gonna change that signature anytime soon or what? Bikes clean good work.

Comment

gs chopper

contemplate before you go with forward control on a rigid. most of the problem with back complaints on a rigid is from the seating position due to forward controls. You back completely takes the shock versus the seating style like you have now where your legs will take the shcok. Trust me on this on. I'm 46 yrs old and my rigid suzuki has a very similar seat and my back never hurts. My ass does from the small seat. The best way to explain is like falling flat on your ass on the ground with your legs in front of you. Your back takes a big shock, versus jumping off a 4 foot ledge and having your legs absorb the shock. i rode a friends forward control rigid ultra. After a 20 mile ride i was dying. My suzuki i can ride 200 miles at a pop and no back pain. the guy that has the 400 twin rigid on this forum also has the ideal seating position for a rigid. Myabe increas the seat spring to get a little height and some taller bars to help with the scrunch up thing. I did, it helped.

Comment

Originally posted by briyenkieth View Post
                  So you gonna change that signature anytime soon or what? Bikes clean good work.

Excelent point! consider it done

Comment

Originally posted by atb1998 View Post
                    contemplate before you go with forward control on a rigid. most of the problem with back complaints on a rigid is from the seating position due to forward controls. You back completely takes the shock versus the seating style like you have now where your legs will take the shcok. Trust me on this on. I'm 46 yrs old and my rigid suzuki has a very similar seat and my back never hurts. My ass does from the small seat. The best way to explain is like falling flat on your ass on the ground with your legs in front of you. Your back takes a big shock, versus jumping off a 4 foot ledge and having your legs absorb the shock. i rode a friends forward control rigid ultra. After a 20 mile ride i was dying. My suzuki i can ride 200 miles at a pop and no back pain. the guy that has the 400 twin rigid on this forum also has the ideal seating position for a rigid. Myabe increas the seat spring to get a little height and some taller bars to help with the scrunch up thing. I did, it helped.
                    Hum..... Food for thought.

I turned the bars right side up today. That helps straighten my back out abd is much more comfortable. I dont care for the look as much but its more practical.

Ill toss on my highway bars with pegs and do some "rest rides" to see if that effects my back any.

Just another excuse to ride

Comment

signature looks great!

Comment

Great lookin sickle. Your bike is one of the best lookin jap chops I have ever seen. It looks the way it should have looked from the factory. Hope your back can take the harsh ride man. Have fun on her, she looks awesome!!!!

Comment

Looks like youre running a site tube on the tank. How'd you set yours up? Im bouncing back between peep sites and the tube idea, just need a bump. Did you drop a pick up tube in the tank?

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
                            A pan head Sportster. I didn't think that was possible.
                            they either sell fake pan covers or you can make a "panster" for $$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by ShotgunOhio View Post
                              Great lookin sickle. Your bike is one of the best lookin jap chops I have ever seen. It looks the way it should have looked from the factory. Hope your back can take the harsh ride man. Have fun on her, she looks awesome!!!!

Ya know i rode it around for about five hours today trying to get the carbs tuned up and i was pleasently surprised at how okay the ride was. Its not nearly as rough as it looks. i swear

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                                Looks like youre running a site tube on the tank. How'd you set yours up? Im bouncing back between peep sites and the tube idea, just need a bump. Did you drop a pick up tube in the tank?

Its just a couple nipples brazed in. I wish i would have gone on the side though cause it really only starts to read at half tank. Oh well, live and learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X