Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone "Ceramic" coated their GS engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quik note about coating your block. if you chose to coat your block with ceramic drop www.HPC.com a note they are based in the US and have been the leaders in the industry for over 20 yrs, they have been coating race engines in and out for some of the top racers in the world.

if you chose not to go this route, consider to base coat your block with Duponts Centari acrylic enamal in your choice of color or do a high temp engine color and clear coat it with Duponts Chroma base Clear coat. I have done this on my engine as well dirt bike motors all air cooled with no problems to this date. I have done this for over 20 years myself as I am a auto painter by trade this is all we had available at that time, so I have stayed with it. good luck ! Archie

Comment

Ceramic may not be the way to go for the engine, but you may want to consider having your exhaust system dipped in it. If you want to keep your old bike in stock exhaust, it gets more difficult and expensive each year that goes by. I figured that that the ceramic treatment will make my pipes last more than twice as long for less than half of what a new set would cost. Very good long term investment.
      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
      80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Many different types of ceramic coatings

Just a bit of information. There are different types of ceramic coatings, some of which hold heat in, and others of which transfer heat out. You can coat the inside of the cases with a coating that will draw heat out of the oil. Then you coat the outside of the block with a coating to release heat to get the heat out of the engine. Some of the ceramic coatings are used to reduce friction, instead of affecting heat transfer. I'm thinking of having the valve train and cylinders coated with the friction reducing stuff. That way, the engine lasts longer, and if I have an oil pressure failure, I won't wind up with a seized engine. If anybody wants to know more, I'll try and chase down the websites I got this info from.
        Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Just to add a new thought...

I remember the GS1000 Yoshi superbike had a bead blasted finish to improve heat transfer (more surface area) and a kalguard type heat transfer treatment.

keeping heat in headers is a longstanding trick to improve power. Some wrap the headers, but this can be prone to condensation and rusting out.

Comment

Working...
          X