650l Cafe'd Pics-Spokes for a Shaftie??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650l Cafe'd Pics-Spokes for a Shaftie??

Hey guys posted some new pics of my Cafe'd 83 gs650L-I came up with some ideas and kinda had fun with it---- Its a shafty but really want to do spokes..yes I know I should by a Triumph or something..hahah--but I really love my bike--any spoked rims ever made for a shaft driven?? Heres a pic of went I took her for $500 out of a back yard in RI--Was running..but tough shape---

spokes for a shaftie

Sure there a tons of bikes with spoke wheels that are shaft drive.. Just not for your bike. Take a little engineering to get one to work and most are 16" cruiser style wheels. I think your bike looks great like it is, why worry about spoke wheels. Just think about spoke wheels on NEXT project
    Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2009, 11:39 PM. Reason: blah , blah ,blah

Comment

What kind of handlebars are you using? Amazing what a simple handlebar change does to the overall appearance of the bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Rein View Post
        What kind of handlebars are you using? Amazing what a simple handlebar change does to the overall appearance of the bike!
        Those are clubmans/ cafe bars.
        NICE

Comment

cafe racer

Fabulous looking build, not a big "cafe" fan, but DAMN that thing looks
          incredible. GREAT WORK!!

Comment

Very nice, bet your well chuffed.
            What's the headlight off, looks a little smaller than stock?

Comment

That looks sharp!

Yeah, spokes would finish that baby off nicely. Check out this thread:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

I think you may be able to make it work with wheels from a Madura. Let us know if you figure it out!

Comment

what seat did you end up going with? i am having a bit of trouble finding one for my gs550.

thanks,

adam

Comment

Might try here: http://caferacingparts.com/ Glass from the past.

Comment

try here for a seat. have used these seats. seem good for the money http://www.hotwingglass.com/..

Comment

Man that is one sweet lookin' sickle

Comment

Thanks for the kind word guys!--The Bars are club mans--It is true what a bar change can do.It did completely change the look of the bike-I did deal with some turn to the right and the idle goes up headaches but have pretty much cleared it up by rerouting and adjustments-The head light is stock..just cleaned it up and put the retro visor thing on it (Ebay special!!) I also cut off the old headlight mounting brackets and installed the cafe ones which cleaned up the area alot--I also got rid of the center cluster and just run a speedo and Tach...Ya...no gas gage..but whatever!! ---The seat I also got off ebay for about $200 ..it came with the padding and seat cover which is awesome--Ill try to get the info on the guy who makes them-He does really quality work-I was very impressed when it came in-- The race plates I got off ebay off some BMX site..haha--I never liked how the side covers looked and saw an old pic of a bike from the 60's and said thats what I need to do..so I painted them up and they came out great--Then bought some NOS #s and threw them on--The 9's came in a pack of 5 so...99 it was..haha- The rims would just finish off the cafe look so Ill keep looking --Thx for the info so far!!

Comment

Where'd you pick up the signal lights?

Comment

Very nice! That all hangs together pretty dang well with the L tank.

What did you do with the old seat? Or was it too rotted to save? There are some 650GL people that would KILL for a decent stock seat, or just the pan.

I love the number plates in place of side covers. One of the best things about a good cafe-ed bike are the fun cheap details like that where the builder used ingenuity and trickery to do something almost free instead of just whipping out a credit card.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The Signals actually came off Ebay...haha---Good price for the set and there made pretty well-- Thx for the kind words BK--The seat and the rest of the parts I took off did go to the Ebay gods and hopefully to good use--I have been debating the tank.....--Was going to get a tank of a Tempter because it has a little more shape to it...or off a GS450..those nice cafe tanks..but maybe Ill splurge...next is to get a 4 in 1 to shave some more weight...then having a local guy jet the carbs ..I dont want to deal with that..haha--drop it off , pick it up and be done with it!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X