No announcement yet.

GS1100E born again into a Streetfighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frikkin' SWEET!! Pods on the stock carbs?? Put some smoothbores on there!!
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

I've taken a few rides on it already. It handles and brakes like my buds R6 and SV1000. The farther back pegs feel just right, confortable. Turns like nothing. All specs set up like a 2008 Gsxr 1000. I had an issue with the Suppertrapp, so far 12 discs on plus the endcap. Now all of a sudden I've lost ignition to cylinders 2 and 3. Gonna check the coils tomorrow. I have a relayed coil setup. And gotta check my clutch out slips at about 3500-4000 rpm. I already have the HD springs, nice hand workout. When I got the bike there came 2 sets of clutches. Gonna go thru and mic all the best pats together and rough up the metal discs, of course after F'ing with the coils. I have a made up harness, none of it factory, thank God.

Comment

I have 36mm Gsxr Flatslides that I guess I will try in spring.

Comment

I would like to mod my tail to Zweihammer's idea, cut it and shorten it up.
          Seems to be the general consensus around here to those who mod...

I always liked the 81 tails anyway.

Comment

Finally the temps are in the 40-50's. Come on spring!!!!

Comment

ive really enjoyed reading over this build. my 83 gs750e is going to go in a similar direction. i think.

Comment

just my .02

this just my .02

Comment

patrickmcp, I don't who's bike this is, I culled it from the interwebs a couple of years ago, but this shows what it cold look like with the '82 tail and what looks like a cut down Corbin. Made me make up my mind to do mine, I just really like the proportions! I think mono'ed it would look incredible.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks j.w.napier and Zweihammer for the great visual.

I'm dealing with no spark right now. Its gonna hit 80 degrees and no bike....

Keeping my eye on a '80 tail piece, gotta brush up on my fiberglassing skills.

Still debating about making it a solo seater. Getting divorced so I might want that afterwards....

Comment

keep moving forward

keep the room for a new one get her into riding her own then cut it down. good luck out there.
                      J.W. Napier

Comment

Could you post some pics of your V Star Bobber, that little pic is a teaser.

Always wanted a bobber.
                        I was thinking of bobbing an old Suzy or Kawy or Yamahog for fun and bar hopping.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickmcp View Post
                          Keeping my eye on a '80 tail piece, gotta brush up on my fiberglassing skills.
                          You are looking for an '80 tail piece? If so, I have one I'm not going to use.

Comment

Thanks for the offer, but I have one on the way.

I had a wire swapped out on my coils, damn that custom wiring harness.

I opened up the clutch and the the whole basket wiggled.
                            The nut backed off pretty good.
                            The plates and fibers are perfect.
                            Looks like someone already replace the pump for the higher pressure GS750 variety.
                            The clutch basket to my happy surprise was an upgraded welded variety.
                            I don't have pics with me right now but the studs are welded of course and on the outer ring there are 3 tabs welded in as well.
                            Not sure who does that one, Falicons don't have the 3 outer tabs welded on.
                            Both the Basket and inner hub need a little filing.
                            Ordered the Ape CNC nut and washer.

Should I Locktite Blue that sucker on?

I had heavy duty springs in all 6 holes but the lever effort was hulk like, gonna do the 50/50 split.

Can't wait to ride it again everyday but in this new configuration...real handling and braking, now tight clutch, no slipping.

Comment

Well, I filed down my clutch basket and inner hub to just get it smoother.
                              Clutch plates and fiber looked new.
                              Used the APE nut with a hint of Locktite blue.
                              Everything reassembled perfectly and the clutch feels smooth.
                              I did the 3 hard, 3 stock spring split.
                              Had to take apart my starter as it just clicked and did nothing, nice oily sheen inside wouldn't let it kick over.
                              But I have another issue, in my freak out before storage, my bike ran on 2 cylinders, thought it was gunk in the carbs, I noticed my float levels were off and I made an adjustment to my float bowl levels, it was actually my timing rotor spacer and later a dead coil.
                              Now I have to sync up my carbs once again.

Question for you guys, I've researched the forum about the number of Supertrapp discs to use.
                              Some users say that about 7-8 discs is like the stock setup.
                              Now the owners I've found have a similar setup to mine: K&N pods, 4-to-1, and the Supertrapp all have at least 8 discs on, a few had about 12 discs.

What do you guys recommend as the starting number of Supertrapp discs? 10? Thanks
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2010, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Supertrapps work very well with the Dynojet kits for your cv carbs. Don't know what you have for jetting on yours. I've used the Stage 1 jets on 3 of my 1100's so far, set the clips on the lowest rung on the needles (gets rid of the lean spot around 5-6k rpm, WOT). The supertrapps usually come with 8 discs and instructions say use 4 to start. Using less discs will give you a quiet run and lots of low-end grunt i.e. the powerband is @ 1-3k rpm. Also good gas mileage. If you add more discs the powerband will move up accordingly. Gas mileage decreases. Exhaust note increases(!). Lose the discs completely and Granny gets her daily heart-attack.....
                                81 GS1100e
                                83 GS1100e
                                67 Norton P11(someday soon I'm gonna kick it alive and ride it!)
                                A couple of KZ400's
                                Be Here Now Until You're There Then

Comment

Working...
                                X