Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use a Power Washer to clean their bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use a Power Washer to clean their bike?

I'm doing an almost full-on restoration to my GS750. I removed the head, motor is out of the frame, everything else is completly apart and in other places. The only thing together is the lower block. I want to repaint my motor for appearance sake of course. The motor ran great and I want to avoid having to take off (more inportantly put back on) the cylinder block (having to guide four moving pistons and lower the block by myself doesn't sound like fun) back on. There are massive amounts of grease, grunge on the motor and frame. The frame's a no brainer to PW, but anyone PW a motor? What kind of prep work would be needed?

I'm just trying to get every bit of grease out of the nooks and cranies and I don't feel like tracking tons of grease in my living room carpet AGAIN. I figure if I can add some degreaser to the solution tank, and properly pre the motor-it will be fast and thorough. Any input guys? Thanks!

I power wash mine all the time , but my motor is in one piece lol.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

There's all kindsa stuff inside that engine that would be really messed up if any water got in. Especially if it wasn't run again for a while.

Don't do it.

I've power washed several engine cases in preparation for painting, but the engines were completely disassembled and the crankshafts, gears, etc. were safely fogged and tucked away in my garage.

We've also seen at least one case here where a guy power washed his engine, and a large quantity of water got in past the base gasket. Not good. Watch where you're spraying that thing.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I have powerwashed a completely dismantled block. Otherwise I wouldn't do it.

Comment

It is safer to go at it with degreaser like Simply Green and an assortment of brushes ( bottle brushes, gun cleaning brushes, popsicle sticks, q-tips etc). More time consuming for sure but less chance of water getting in.

As the others mention..water inside the engine.....bad

Do a little bit every now and again and it will get done in no time.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
          Spyug.

Comment

When I rebuit the 750 I powerwashed the entire bike, engine and all before disassembly. After the motor was out it was reasonably clean. I then took a brush and solvent to it, then taped everything off and used a bead blaster. After than one more cleaning session and paint.

Comment

OK, I'll admit to pressure washing most of my bikes, especially if I have a weeping gasket.

I do it as a car wash, the only thing I avoid is spraying too hard is near the vent hole by the starter. Otherwise I just go at it.

However, If the engine is only partially disassembled, I wouldn't even consider it.
              Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

No the answers I had hped for, but none the less-great input. It seem's I shoud have done it while it was all together or if I took it completely done. I'll head the warnings-thanks guys!

Comment

sorry to add if this is unnecessary but I run engine degreaser with a light powerwash- pressure that won't hurt my skin at spray distance. I read in Cycle World that powerwashing can damage/put water through gaskets.

Scotch brite pads and a lot of scrubbing too! stay away from Purple Power degreaser, it will eat your skin like a severe sunburn.

Comment

I didn't the Purple Power degreaser was that strong. Thank you very much for the warning.

Comment

Working...
                    X