No announcement yet.

Yoshimura GSX1135R (EFE) Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For future reference I posted a snapshot of the auction. Nice looking pipe. Carbon fiber is nice. I have never considered that due to the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
      I'll await your comments re. quality & function. His feedback so far is limited to knee pucks & tire warmers. Racefit is now marketing in the U.S. as well, but as you said, their Growler C/F can costs several times this one. I planned on having a mid-pipe custom bent to accept a modern Yosh RS-3, but the diameter of these GP-syle cans being smaller, would look more fitting on our older GS bikes, I think.....also, these are less than 1/2 the Yosh price and very current, in terms of looks.
      Yeah, his feedback was kind of limited (100% though) but judging from his replies via email he seems to be a very serious seller. Over here a Racefit Growler goes for $700, so paying $160 for a slip-on with the same sound and look is nothing short of a steal. That saves $540. Money like that can buy a lot.

There's a Japanese bike shop called Auto Magic that does a slip-on which looks pretty much the same but it costs around $600.

Expect a detailed review when I get it.

Also went down to the workshop today to see the final welds on the swingarm. Looked really good so I had to put it together for a full-view shot.

My reaction?

"Damn, that's nice."

It's a bit wider in the rear compared to stock.

Another job well done by me and my dad.

Did I mention? The shocks work perfectly. Could really feel that they are amazing from just putting my weight on them and pushing down. No more bicycle shocks here.

Also shotblasted the engine cover with some aluminium oxide. All nice and clean now. Gonna get it painted tomorrow if I get time.

Will be back at the workshop tomorrow to do a dry fit of all the parts. I'll post some more pictures then.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      For future reference I posted a snapshot of the auction. Nice looking pipe. Carbon fiber is nice. I have never considered that due to the price.
      Normally you wouldn't consider stuff from China that costs less than half of something over here in the west. But fact is that just because it's Chinese doesn't mean it's low quality, in fact, they are probably just as good as many of the exhaust manufacturers over here. Their labour costs a fraction of what we ask but they are still great craftsmen.

Stuff you should look out for is Thai copies. No matter what it is - it's junk.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2010, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindless View Post

Normally you wouldn't consider stuff from China that costs less than half of something over here in the west. But fact is that just because it's Chinese doesn't mean it's low quality, in fact, they are probably just as good as many of the exhaust manufacturers over here. Their labour costs a fraction of what we ask but they are still great craftsmen.

Stuff you should look out for is Thai copies. No matter what it is - it's junk.
        Sorry, I think you mis-understood what I ment; I would not have consided a Yoshi Carbon or other US manufacturers as they are very (too) expensive. Yes the Chinese make most everything these days as the manufacturing technology has been exported to there by most of the industrialized nations.

BTW, Bikes coming along nicely
        Last edited by posplayr; 01-24-2010, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Well done...great project, luv this stuff!

Comment

Sorry, I think you mis-understood what I ment; I would not have consided a Yoshi Carbon or other US manufacturers as they are very (too) expensive. Yes the Chinese make most everything these days as the manufacturing technology has been exported to there by most of the industrialized nations.

BTW, Bikes coming along nicely
            Oh, I see. Makes sense now.

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
            Well done...great project, luv this stuff!
            Thanks!

Slight update. Brought the front end and all the bodywork with me to the workshop for a mock-up session to get some things straightened out.

After we put it together it was time for some testing. Dad was first up.

He was surprised how comfortable it was. Next up was me.

The stance was a bit aggressive (leaned forward) so we raised it up about an inch to see how much of a difference it made. Felt much better afterwards.

Will be ordering some parts for the engine this week. More progress on the actual bike in a few days.

Comment

Oh yes...

Oh yes...!

OH YES!

Fits like a glove and as far as I can tell - works perfectly. Huge chunk out of my pocket but well worth it. Been hunting for these for a long time.

Comment

Fits like a glove and as far as I can tell - works perfectly. Huge chunk out of my pocket but well worth it. Been hunting for these for a long time.
                It is really nice when things work out and the anxiety of buying somthing that doesn't work disappears.

Comment

Where did you get those gorgeous velocity stacks? Me want....

Paul
                  80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

It is really nice when things work out and the anxiety of buying somthing that doesn't work disappears.
                    Exactly. Bought a few parts in the past thinking they would fit (having been told so) but for some reason, they didn't...

Really a weight off my shoulders, eventhough they were costly, well, not compared to new.

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post

Paul
                    Original Keihin FCR velocity stacks. Comes with the carbs.

Comment

Mindless I really like what you've done here so far. The bodywork looks sooo rad.
                      Great job.
                      I can't believe how big that drill press is!

Comment

You are going to love the throttle response on those. The sound they make is addictive too (rattle, rattle).

Comment

tank question

I have a quick question about the gas tank...I have a 1984 GS1150 ES and my tank came stock with big rubber tank protectors on it. I pulled them off but there are now big ugly recesses in the tank from where they were, but I noticed your tank has niether...did you fill them in with something or did your tank come without the protectors?

Comment

Thanks guys.

As for the carbs: Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing how they preform. I really like the Mikuni RS line of carbs but the FCR's are supposed to be a step above.

Originally posted by Yamazukahondi View Post
                            I have a quick question about the gas tank...I have a 1984 GS1150 ES and my tank came stock with big rubber tank protectors on it. I pulled them off but there are now big ugly recesses in the tank from where they were, but I noticed your tank has niether...did you fill them in with something or did your tank come without the protectors?
                            Filled them up with a fiberglass filler.

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post

Paul
                              SUDCO sells the velocity stacks. Ray.

Comment

Exhaust from China is finished and on it's way. Turned out great.

Can't wait to get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X