Suzuki GS 500 hard tailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS 500 hard tailing

Began to work on the project hard tailing my 500 GS. Chassis is actually the 1981 GS 550, and the engine is 500 GS from the seventies (I do not know exactly which year) for the German market reduced to 27 HP, in really excellent condition. For starters I have a few pictures dismantling the carburetor, which was a lot of rust because rusty tank, engine and engine position in the chassis. So for now, pics would follow that the project would go ahead.
    1979 Suzuki GS 500e

1979 Suzuki GS 500e

Comment

looks good so far. i had been thinking about hardtailing the 850 that i wadded up but have been too busy with my 750. good luck with everything.

Comment

kruns,

Your motor is the first 500 four cylinder I've seen. I've only read of them. I don't know much of how to complete a hard tail build but I'll enjoy watching your progress. Welcome!

Charlie G.
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Kruns,

Do you have any plans to try to boost the horse power upward?

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks piester and Charlie, I'll enjoy this project!
            Difference between stronger and weaker versions of the GS 500/550 is in carburetors, air intake and camshaft and was created because of German law (probably because young drivers). Today there are also similar laws in some EU countries where power motorcycle must not exceed 100 HP. I do not plan to raise engine force, regarding the durability of the already high quality GS series engines, this is simply indestructible

The 1980 Suzuki GS 500 E and all other motorcycles made 1894-2024. Specifications. Pictures. Rating. Discussions.

The 1979 Suzuki GS 500 E and all other motorcycles made 1894-2024. Specifications. Pictures. Rating. Discussions.
            1979 Suzuki GS 500e

Comment

how do you plan to hardtail it? cut it apart and weld it? i had thought about making adjustable rods. kinda like tierods.

Comment

I stick to tested recipe: cut subframe, remove the rear swingarm and weld a new hard tail. Motorcycle to be lowered and little stretched, something like Kenny`s bobber from gsr, although I must admit that I was thrilled by one Yamaha XS 650 "The Flying W" and I will try to approach this layout.

1979 Suzuki GS 500e

Comment

Yep, hardtail that puppy!

Comment

thats cool. i wish i had a welder haha.

Comment

I will present the progress of the last occurrence. chassis that I predicted for the modification was quite distorted in a car accident so I decided to put other proper that I also had. In the picture below You can see how we start place tank to the chassis and engine in the chassis.
                      That's all for now folks.

1979 Suzuki GS 500e

Comment

No disrespect intended, but are you actually going to build this bike around the sportster gas tank? Thats, well different....

Comment

Kruns,

Interesting tank and frame combination. Have you altered the frame in any way? I am looking froward to seeing your bike being completed. It looks unique so far.

Charlie G.
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g

Comment

2Henryinva: I wanted a small tank to distinguish engine as amuch as possible and the Sportster tank was a logical choice. I would say that it is not original but is a combination of proven and I like it.

2Charlie G: Frame was taken from one gs streetfighter with changed subframe, but now a complete rear end will be cutted of and goes to hardtail.
                            1979 Suzuki GS 500e

Comment

Wow, you had to have cut the bottom of the sporty tank a lot to accomodate the triple backbone. How many gallons does it hold with the modifications?
                              Is the petcock going to cause you grief with the engine or did you move the petcock location in the tank?

Comment

Working...
                              X