Handlebars...What do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebars...What do you use?

so i have been entertaining the idea of replacing my handlebars for something a little more sportier...what do you guys use...if you use your stock bars tell me why...If you dont...tell me why you like your replacements

Originally posted by Nessism
    This topic comes up all the time. If you click "search" and then "advanced search", select "titles only" and type "handlebars" in the serarch field, hit search and you will turn up dozens of different threads on this exact topic.
    hmmm didnt try titles only...guess ill try again

Comment

Suppose nearly every question asked here has been asked before. However since I never answered before I will put in my 2 cents.

I have an 83 g650GL, I never rode it with the stock "L" bars... and from finally seeing a pair I am VERY glad. I think best estimate is my bike had "E" bars on it...

Anyways I got a set of daytonas a few weeks back and adjusted the position on them a bit since installing them, but am very happy with them. Think it was like $15 for chrome bars from Z1.

Comment

I have the stock "G" bars on my bike, yet I found myself wanting something...different.

Namely a very similar set of bars in black! 30.5" width, 4"rise, 4" sweep. Should be in today!
        Come on UPS! Daddy needs a new set of bars!

Comment

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post
          I have the stock "G" bars on my bike, yet I found myself wanting something...different.

Namely a very similar set of bars in black! 30.5" width, 4"rise, 4" sweep. Should be in today!
          Come on UPS! Daddy needs a new set of bars!
          lol....im gonna wait till i can get some actual ride time on this thing before i make a decision but i can inticipate switching them out eventually
          Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2010, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shibby_cbs View Post
            im gonna wait till i can get some actual ride time on this thing before i make a decision but i can inticipate switching them out eventually
            You never know, maybe the bars will be good for you. I know my "G" bars are pretty comfy, but after an hour os so I get "numb finger", so I decided to get something a little different.

Most of the time, unless you wish to alter your position on the bike, a simple adjustment up/down in angle does the trick.

Last weekend I was out cruising the local yard sales, and there was a kid there trying to purchase a roto-tiller from the owner. Except he only wanted the massive ape-hanger type bars from it, not the machine itself!

They were in a similar vein as these:

When the owner of the machine asked him why he wanted just the bars, the young lad responded "I want to make my Yamaha look like a Harley."

Yeah, good luck with that.

As you said, get some time in the seat, and adjust the current bars for maximum comfort, then decide from there. It took me a year and a bit to finally pull the trigger and order different bars.

Besides, bars are cheap and plentiful. If it takes you a few tries to find the ones right for you, then you can usually get pretty close to what you paid for the other ones by offering them up here, or on ebay.

Comment

Love my stock G bars. Fit's me just right.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I´ve had a low Superbike bar on my 650G for almost twenty years and find it perfect for my style of riding-brings you forward into the wind a little more but not not as extreme as clip-ons. It makes for a relaxing day-long highway ride against the wind with no windscreen.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaggo60 View Post
                  I´ve had a low Superbike bar on my 650G for almost twenty years and find it perfect for my style of riding-brings you forward into the wind a little more but not not as extreme as clip-ons. It makes for a relaxing day-long highway ride against the wind with no windscreen.
                  got any pictures?...i think suberbike bars are what i would be looking for but i know there a million different length size bend combinations and i have no idea where to start

Comment

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post
                    You never know, maybe the bars will be good for you. I know my "G" bars are pretty comfy, but after an hour os so I get "numb finger", so I decided to get something a little different.

Most of the time, unless you wish to alter your position on the bike, a simple adjustment up/down in angle does the trick.

Last weekend I was out cruising the local yard sales, and there was a kid there trying to purchase a roto-tiller from the owner. Except he only wanted the massive ape-hanger type bars from it, not the machine itself!

They were in a similar vein as these:

When the owner of the machine asked him why he wanted just the bars, the young lad responded "I want to make my Yamaha look like a Harley."

Yeah, good luck with that.

As you said, get some time in the seat, and adjust the current bars for maximum comfort, then decide from there. It took me a year and a bit to finally pull the trigger and order different bars.

Besides, bars are cheap and plentiful. If it takes you a few tries to find the ones right for you, then you can usually get pretty close to what you paid for the other ones by offering them up here, or on ebay.
                    haha...those are bananas....pun intended

Comment

Originally posted by shibby_cbs View Post
                      got any pictures?...i think suberbike bars are what i would be looking for but i know there a million different length size bend combinations and i have no idea where to start
                      There actually aren't that many I don't think. Mine is 28" and has a rise of 2.5 to 3" approx. Here's a picture.

There is one consideration and you can see it in the attached picture-the need for a vibration damper. The stock bar that came with mine had weights in the ends to quell any engine vibes. The aftermarket ones don't so you have to deal with that. Fortunately there's an opportunity then to add bar-end mirrors as the weights needed, because trying to use the standard mirrors gives you a great view of your elbows and not much else.

Cheers,
                      Ted

Comment

When I started riding, I had a set of stock bars. They were nice but just didn't have the feel of the bike I was looking for. I now have a set of Daytona Superbike bars and love them.

The best advise I, and everyone here, can give you is to try several styles and see what fits YOU the best. There is a bike slavage yard in MD that I get almost all of my parts from. If you have one in your state, ride the bike over there.

Comment

Originally posted by AF_Bill View Post
                          When I started riding, I had a set of stock bars. They were nice but just didn't have the feel of the bike I was looking for. I now have a set of Daytona Superbike bars and love them.

The best advise I, and everyone here, can give you is to try several styles and see what fits YOU the best. There is a bike slavage yard in MD that I get almost all of my parts from. If you have one in your state, ride the bike over there.
                          good idea...looks like ill be headin over to this place on saturday as they are only open on the weekends http://www.ricepaddymotorcycles.com/
                          unfortunately i wont be riding the bike over there as it isnt in my name yet/no insurance/no bike licence/not quite running yet...lol...ill most likely find some other godies as well

Comment

I've checked them out online a bit. Nice stuff. If the bars are cheap enough, grab a few sets. Make sure you can return them for full price too.

Comment

Clubmans, they're hell on my back after a long ride, but it's only a 450. Love the cafe bikes. Remember if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Comment

Working...
                              X