No announcement yet.

Handlebars...What do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

renthall motocross bars, comfort and great leverage through the twisties........
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      renthall motocross bars, comfort and great leverage through the twisties........

Heh, been there done that. Had a set of 93 OEM CR250 bars on the GS850 for a while but ended up buying a set of drag bars for cheap.
      I like the looks of the drag bars better..
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
        Heh, been there done that. Had a set of 93 OEM CR250 bars on the GS850 for a while but ended up buying a set of drag bars for cheap.
        I like the looks of the drag bars better..
        i hate drag bars, great for a drag strip but highly uncomfortable on a road bike, and crap for handling.
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

i hate drag bars, great for a drag strip but highly uncomfortable on a road bike, and crap for handling.
          Depends on the intended purpose.

I like the looks of clubmans also but thats taking it a bit to far in my opinion.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
            Depends on the intended purpose.

I like the looks of clubmans also but thats taking it a bit to far in my opinion.
            clubmans, or ace bars as we call it over here, are my second worse style of bars, unless you are on a lightweight race bike, not a 30 year old dinosaur
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

I guess you can really get yer knee down on yer way through the kitchen......

Comment

Originally posted by Flaggo60 View Post
                I guess you can really get yer knee down on yer way through the kitchen......

Gotta get through that narrow door first.
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

Comment

I have renthals too, i like the look.

Comment

I'm looking at superbike bars, and found them at motorcycle superstore for 18.99 in black. Why is it at Dennis Kirk, J&P cycles, and other sites they're almost $100 more?

Comment

Originally posted by Truth View Post
                      I'm looking at superbike bars, and found them at motorcycle superstore for 18.99 in black. Why is it at Dennis Kirk, J&P cycles, and other sites they're almost $100 more?
                      Some just dont know better and buy the first set they come to. DK and the like "superstore" netstore are prolly all they know.

Can also find em on ebay pretty reasonable.
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by Truth View Post
                        The nineteen dollar ones sound like a good deal if they're of a decent quality-As I recall I didn't pay a whole lot more for mine and I bought them almost twenty years ago. Don't know what they're selling at well over a hundred bucks though.....just did a quick search and the more likely range is $30 to $40 with one model at $50.

Comment

I use drag bars but I've also used superbike bars and thought both are fine. The drag bars give you the right forward lean on the highway but I find myself riding one handed to ease my neck. They put weight forward and if I ride with my feet on the rear pegs I'll rest my left forearm on the tank to ease the weight. I think they handle fine but I think you need to get used to any set of bars before they handle for you.
                          There is nothing more dangerous than governing in the name of a theory.---Edmund Burke

Comment

Expensive bars...

Dennis Kirk has been the leader in Powersports aftermarket parts and accessories since 1969. Over 160,000 unique items in stock & ready to ship today.

I'm waiting for these to be delivered with some gel grips and bar end mirrors. I guess bikemaster is the cheapie brand.

Comment

Been running drag bars on mine. Causes neck and back issues. Also hands get tingly. Changed them out today for a set from a 1986 honda trx 250 four wheeler. Tilted them back a bit and they feel great. Nothing like the oem/ scwinn bicycle bars. I like the look of the renthal bars though.

Comment

I have the same dirtbike/motocross style bars that agemax has.
                                I love em!

I actually wanted drag bars, but the shops here are really lame and
                                nobody carries them..... Motocross is huge here so most cycle shops
                                around here carry more dirtbike stuff than street bike stuff!

But I got a little impatient and decided to take a peak at the moto bars.
                                I was really impressed, sure I paid $40, but they were really nice and I wanted
                                them now! Lol

It turned out to be a perfect mix between typical 2 1/2 inch rise bars
                                and drag bars.
                                I really hate how the bike handles at slow speed, WAY too
                                sensitive, i almost dumped it in the driveway cause I didn't think it would
                                make a huge difference at low speed. Lol

But at mid speed it's fun, I love having to lean forward, kinda
                                feels like a drag bike. Plus one handed cruising is ALOT easier,
                                like messing with my visor or whatever.

I have long arms, and LOVE having my arms extended straight
                                instead of being all bent and cramped. When i have to lean in a little
                                it makes me feel more dedicated to the ride, instead of sitting with
                                angled bars and riding all lazy.

Haven't had a chance to really test it out on the highway yet.

The one problem I had was the throttle going rogue on me when I turned
                                my steering wheel, even the clutch caused my bike not to start!

I played around with the locknut on the throttle cable near the throttle, and
                                got it set right.
                                Haven't played with the clutch nut yet, right now to start
                                her, i have to squeeze all the way in, then let it out a little then the
                                Starter button works like magic!

Comment

Working...
                                X