What do you think of this Paint Scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
    This thread is for the old bike, the newer one is almost ready, waiting on tire and turn signals to come in from Wilderness Motorsports. I have my MSF course scheduled for 16/17 Aug. Get bike registered and insured on the first and inspected hopefully by the 15th of July. Then, I have to be real nice to the wife, we will see.

Paul
    So does that put you in for moosehead? Depending on your work schedule might be able to meet up for the ride in. Got a friend coming with me, likely leaving work a bit early on Friday and he wants to stop in at a friends in Maine for some shooting, then a skate park in Lewiston I think then on to moosehead. Riding in a group is always better when things break, ask me how I know

Comment

Okay You guys are making me think I may end up doing a "OCC Chopper-like" build dedicated to John Deere. I would fit my redneck image quite well. LoL. My family back home would get a kick out of it. Wonder if I can get some John Deere Stickers to put on the tank? I am silly enough to do it. The green I am currently using is a hair bit dark but passable...hmm

Yellow rims, Gas tank green with deere emblem. Yellow seat, should I use an E type seat or a L type seat? Green fenders. This is a definite posiblity. Wonder if I can find some Yellow engine paint for the Cyclinder Head section?

Oh the possiblities...
      Do it old mate .
      When I first saw it I wanted to puke .
      I can't believe it , but it's starting to get me going .
      I'll look forward to seeing it finished .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Well, it's yours and entirely up to you, but that color just leaves me cold, particularly on the engine. Then again, I'm partial to what has already been mentioned re: engine colors - OEM silver, black or unfinished aluminum...

John Deere stickers? Oh please... If you go that route, bBe sure to post the end results in the 'craigslist funnies' thread...

Comment

LoL, I mentioned this to the wife earlier today and her response was:

"I thought you were going to clean up all the old parts from the part bike and sell them." Well that was the plan but you got to admit it would be funny to see a "John Deere" inspired bike. You will either love it or hate it. I think the work would be worth it. Not too mention It would be so fitting to my redneck ways, the one my wife is so desperately trying to break me of. She still gets mad when I go pee on the trees. LoL. I may have to contemplate this a little longer. The problem I ran into right now is the spare gas tank after giving it a vinegar soak has developed three pin hole leaks. I either need to learn to weld or find a friend who can. We will see. I have to convince the Mrs. first.

Comment

Green can be done well.

Comment

I would go with the green silver or paint the heads black & go with green black...

If you can avoid the John Deere look you could probably end up with some kind of Old racer look....

How about Lotus... use some white & yellow

I want one of these.....

1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

My original thoughts have shifted now after seeing some of those nice looking bikes Salt. Maybe more like this, complete green Cam cove and cylinder block, Black heads, black crankcase and tranny with polish side covers, Green fenders, black lower forks, black tank with green stripe on either side, if i could find chrome spoke wheels that would be awesome, if not black mags, or polish the aluminum ones to match the aluminum side covers.

Comment

@ Salty Monk,
                  2nd that Scrammbler. wonder how good they actually are off the road and in some dirt instead

Kev

Comment

Hey, now, I'm more than good with that classic British Racing Green! My old Triumph GT6+ was that color.

But that ain't the color on yer motor, nor on any John Deere....

Comment

Actually I think it is called Racing Green (Hunter) its actually my favorite color and the reason i chose it. It is Duplicolor engine enamel # DE 1644. I plan on blasting the front and rear fender off the parts bike tonight and maybe getting it painted out tomorrow, but looking like tomorrow might be a full day before I have to roll into work. I am still trying to figure out if I can get the frame in here and have it blasted and powder coated (not likely though) so I probably will just going to clean it up at the house and paint over the old paint and primer I put on the bare spots. My old tank has some pin hole leaks in them so I don't want to paint the outside yet till I figure out if I can get those fixed or not. Will a tank sealer take care of pin hole leaks? I am talking about holes I never noticed till I did the vinegar treatment and I suddenly had wet stuff seeping down the tank. I was going to paint everything out and mock it up on the frame to see how it would look. Maybe by the end of next week.

Comment

Food for thought

So Redneck saw the digital mock up I did on another paint thread and asked me to do one of his John Deere bike. For kicks and giggles I mocked up one to his specifications. Green tank and fenders. Yellow wheels, seat, and sides. Black and Green Engine. I think it doesn't look too bad.

And then for some more kicks and giggles I did one as if it was MY bike that had to be a tractor...

I actually kind of like the way this one came out. And yes, I would be seen riding it

Is this about how you imagined it Redneck?
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2011, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Actually the second is awesome and close to how I imagined it. I had the deere on the tank but it looks way better on teh side panel. The all black engine works better than the partially green one. Hmm I may have to seriously consider this paint scheme. I might be able to Call up John Deere and Maybe make some money using the bike in advertisements...hmmm. I know I could probably sell it for some good money. I know there are some serious John Deere Fanatics out there. If I posted it in the right places, lol. Awesome Tim....love it.

Comment

Figured I would get more of a response out of Tim Tom's photoshop work.

Comment

Figured I would get more of a response out of Tim Tom's photoshop work.
                              I think everyone is at a loss for words. About the best I can say is it would be "unique."

Comment

In my opinion, there's too much yellow in both versions. The second one is best. The engine should stay black. The seat just overpowers the bike in both versions. Maybe if the passenger part was black? Or maybe a completely black seat with yellow piping. Maybe even yellow pilot seat, green passenger seat. The color match might be a bit hard. The side panels with the leaping deer gotta stay, no matter what. I'd like to see the headlight, headlight ears, sissy bar, and taillight hardware done in green as well. I especially think the headlight and mounting ears would add to the "tractor" look.

I think this could turn out really well if done right. Thank goodness for Photoshop, saves a lot of time and money in repainting if you don't like how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                                X