Those are speed holes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are speed holes!

I was removing the name plate screws from the gas tank to check out some rust and give it good cleaning when one of the heads twisted of the post. The screw was pretty rotten. Now I have this tiny screw post, flush with the hole, stuck.

Short off accidentally drilling a hole through my tank, does anyone have any creative solutions?

I thought of trying to Dremmel a grove for a flat screwdriver but it seems to carry a high risk of complete disaster.

Thanks

Mark the depth of the other hole on the proper size drill bit with tape so you dont bottom out and cautiously drill away.

Comment

I'd drill it
      Be careful.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Remember, gas or fumes + electric motor could equal explosion. Fill the tank with water first.

Paul
        80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

electric motor + water = electrocution..... lol

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsy View Post
            electric motor + water = electrocution..... lol
            This made me laugh! Very true indeed!

I would use a small tap and slowly drill it. The screw is small and short enough that you won't be drilling enough to generate much heat to be a danger. As stated above, mark the depth using the other hole and tape your drill bit. Go slowly!

Comment

duct tape the badge back on

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
                duct tape the badge back on

Seriously? It's not a hard repair!

Comment

I'd try someother method before drilling... It's a tiny and very short screw.. I can't imagine more than a couple threads are sticking. If you have purchase to what's left of the shank, maybe try epoxy-ing something that you can get ahold of with your fingers to it first? It would suck to slip while trying to drill that teeny weeny sucker out and have a hole in your tank.. Plus trying to retap that hole would be tough to do if you wanted to put the badge back on...

Comment

I'd probably take it to a machine shop and see if they could get it out. Not sure I would trust free handing drilling out that little screw. If you have access to a drill press that might be different.

Comment

You could use a stop on the drill bit. That would keep it from penetrating past the level of the stop. I'd use a left-handed drill bit, too -- small screws will often turn out the rest of the way when the drill catches.

The tank isn't made of Jello -- you're not going to accidentally punch through it unless you keep drilling for a while longer.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Actually it's pretty thin right there, I have had a few that were punctured when someone used a slightly longer screw.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog209 View Post
                          Seriously? It's not a hard repair!
                          No not seriously, hence the

Anyways I would seriously not even try to dig the screw out, you got 1 good post still and a decent surface area to the badge. I would epoxy that one side to keep it from shifting and use the screw in the front.

A dab of gorilla glue and your good to go.

Comment

I had a similar issue when I took apart my tank for a re-paint. I drilled it out with a bit that was undersize and managed to work it out of the hole. BE VERY CAREFUL THAT YOU DONT GO TO DEEP. Use a variable speed drill and work slowly. After I got it out the hole was a touch big so I opened it up to the next size and tapped it for an M4. If I recall correctly the originals are M3 screws. I used brand new screws when re-installing the badges. If you can't find replacement screws- hobby shops that sell RC Cars / Planes have all kinds of small hardware.

Comment

Working...
                            X