Cylinder Head Stripping Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had some real problems with the colour match
    I have seen some wheel paint called 'Simonize five wheels' that was the closest colour I could find but none of my local places had it. The original colour is more metalic grey than a silver so in the end I plumbed for silver produced by smoothrite that had the right surface finish and I did as Sharpy said I warmed the parts in the oven first and stood the can on a radiator, (I tried all the VHT stuff plus a heap of others but surface didn't seem to close and seal on those paints). the short engine would not go in the oven so I left it on the kitchen counter for a week before and after paint.
    Only the top crankcase is painted anyway.
    After painting (outside) and bake I left the parts scattered around the house on radiators.
    On initial start up I had a sizable petrol leak from the carbs all over the crank case which has not affected it and it's still good. Most paint is more than able to handle engine tempretures even on the cylinder head.
    Just as a side, the smell of the paint was not overpowering and I did it when I knew I wouldn't be disturbed as my girlfriend is pretty house proud, and trick I use is when she points and says "What's that doing in here" is just say what? and if she persists (hardy ever now) take a long time to explain why it is so important that it has to be done that way, she gets bored and goes off and does something else.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
      I dropped off my GS1100G head at A&P Cylinder Heads in Arvada, CO. and the owner has a heated tank with a solution which is safe for aluminum heads. He dipped the head in the hot tank overnight a couple of times and then glass beaded the head to remove all the black paint. He did the valve cover as well but that paint didn't budge so he had to remove all the paint with the bead blaster. Here are the pics.

I will be painting the head once the valve & port work is complete and I am inclined to paint it stock GS silver, Can anyone chime in with paint recommendations which match the stock GS silver? Ed pretty sure you know

From the pictures it looks like the cam bearing surfaces and the valve spring recesses got bead blasted. If so it doesn't seem like a good idea since these are machined surfaces.

Also the deck surface is blasted...I would have thought this should be left machined.

Brian

Comment

Looks fine to me, just so long as there are no pits or scratches on the head surface itself. If you re unsure you could always give it a light once over with a flat block and emery, The valve spring receses have spring bases to locate the springs. All looks good to me.
        The thing that you do need to do is make sure that you get all the blasting medium out and I can tell you from experience it is a time consuming pain. I used a pressure wash and heaps of air, the oil ways are particularly tricky, especially down the head stud and back where it has been drilled and blanked.
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I remember a while a go reading a thread on the whole engine painting saga, and there was a member who built a stunning Kat and the motor was almost a dead match for the Suzuki OEM colour, as I remember the paint used was VHT Yamaha Case Silver, I remember because I made a note for my current rebuild.

But then on the other hand, I have seen Ed's work, and I would be the last one on earth to argue with any of his recommendations.

Comment

best way imho is to stick it in an acid bath... not many places do it anymore but it will come out superclean and won't have any media stuck inside it..... blasting of any kind on a motor isn't the best idea imho but folk do it as it looks factory fresh when they get it back.... takes forever and you're never guarenteed (sp) that all the crap is out of the parts blasted.

of course it could be ultra sonically cleaned after the media blasting but again that all adds up.

acid is the way to go.....

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              I used the Universal Aluminum. My guess is Nu-cast will be duller.
              Ed,

Being almost as frugal as you do you have any recommendations of where to by VHT these days at fair price?

Thx,
              Steve
              1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
              Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

OReilly's is selling VHT paint for about $5 in the spray can. I'm not sure how much Dale's is selling it for, if they have it. They are on the corner of Circle and Platte.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  OReilly's is selling VHT paint for about $5 in the spray can. I'm not sure how much Dale's is selling it for, if they have it. They are on the corner of Circle and Platte.
                  Thanks Scott, Call when you are ready to Synch

Steve
                  Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Ed,

Being almost as frugal as you do you have any recommendations of where to by VHT these days at fair price?

Thx,
                    Steve
                    Hi Steve,

I bought the VHT from Caswells Plating when placing an order for other stuff there. Not sure if it was cheaper than local, never checked, but I doubt you would offset the shipping cost compared to buying local.

Are you going with the Nu Cast? I think Rusty Bronco (Dale) is on the same path so please let us know what it looks like. The VHT on my bike still gives off an aroma each time I ride the bike - several hundred miles now (don't ride it much). Wonder if that means it's still curing?

Good luck.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GK
                      What kind of acid bath is used for aluminum?

Thanks! - John
                      Auto Machine Shops have a Hot Tank for cast iron heads & HD shoveleads which will eat the aluminum. Then they have a heated tank for aluminim heads which is what you want.

Not sure the chemical solution and they probably don't either.

Originally posted by Nessism
                      Hi Steve,

I bought the VHT from Caswells Plating when placing an order for other stuff there. Not sure if it was cheaper than local, never checked, but I doubt you would offset the shipping cost compared to buying local.

Are you going with the Nu Cast? I think Rusty Bronco (Dale) is on the same path so please let us know what it looks like. The VHT on my bike still gives off an aroma each time I ride the bike - several hundred miles now (don't ride it much). Wonder if that means it's still curing?

Good luck.
                      Hi Ed,
                      I checked a local OReiley's and they did not stock VHT Nu Cast Engine Enamel, their price was like $8 per can. May be I will just order it on-line. . . I am probably leaning ttowards the Nu Cast color, I think the Dull aluminum would be good for the engine cases.

I would agree your paint is still curing. Now that it has undergone several cycles of On & Off it probably time to take it on the Freeway for a 30 min ride at 65 MPH plus speeds. Sorry I forgot about the traffic

Comment

Mine was painted with universal aluminum vht if not too late to chime in........

Comment

Sharpy,

I know your painted your engine several years ago but would like to see a pic of the VHT painted cylinder head again

Comment

Sharpy,

I know your painted your engine several years ago but would like to see a pic of the VHT painted cylinder head again
                            geezzz things you do for ya mates.Bike has been sitting for over 2 years so a little dirty. Just went out to garage and took these pics....
                            or check them out in my GS1000 folder at....

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2011, 09:36 PM.

Comment

That looks like a perfect match. Put in some cans and send it the states for my 1100g Head & cylinders

Comment

That looks like a perfect match. Put in some cans and send it the states for my 1100g Head & cylinders

Same company, same name. Same stuff 11yrs down the road? And remember about CLEAN surface and heating in the oven for a hr at 150f at least. And dont paint cold metal it goes spotty, paint warmer metal is always best. WARM metal will leave you a rough finish as the paint dries to fast. No a expert but works for me. Have fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X