No announcement yet.

Cylinder Head Stripping Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VERY nice motor! Thanks for the info. Would LOVE to get setup to do that to our motors.

- JC
    Motors are in washing machines,Do you mean engines? LOL sorry

Comment

It's a bit late but I recommend Baking soda blasting. The media dissolves in water or oil and is not that hard anyway. Safer than bead or glass blasting for your lungs. Leaves a nice finish for painting too.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I did an upper engine case last week with VHT's Universal Aluminum. Very pleased with the appearance. In fact I think its better than the stock Suzuki color. Have my fingers crossed about its gas and oil resistance properties.

May have to drive around with a bib under my carbs, and if anyone asks I'll just tell them I've been eating lobster.

I have the drain hoses on my flat slides removed, I think those are going to have to go back on just in case a float sticks or something.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
          I did an upper engine case last week with VHT's Universal Aluminum. Very pleased with the appearance. In fact I think its better than the stock Suzuki color. Have my fingers crossed about its gas and oil resistance properties.

May have to drive around with a bib under my carbs, and if anyone asks I'll just tell them I've been eating lobster.

I have the drain hoses on my flat slides removed, I think those are going to have to go back on just in case a float sticks or something.
          You can fit those cases in a oven if you remove tha barrel studs. And no gas or brake fluid problems with anything i bake. Glad to see you only painted the top half of you case as the bottom part isnt painted in standard trim.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
            You can fit those cases in a oven if you remove the barrel studs. And no gas or brake fluid problems with anything i bake. Glad to see you only painted the top half of you case as the bottom part isnt painted in standard trim.
            Didn't mention it but the wife was out Sunday morning so I baked it in the oven for 2 hours starting at 175 and working up slowly to 250. Opened all the windows, aired out the house and she never noticed when she got home. The smell of Xylene is pretty strong at first.

I had originally botched an attempt to paint it with the POR process using a brush, looked terrible and was very difficult to remove. I have access to bead blasters at work but wanted to to stay clear of them for fear of contamination. (Yes I know I'm anal)

For prep I chemically striped it with paint stripper, then progressively sanded it with wet/dry sand paper up to about 1000 grit. Then I went back to roughing it up with 600 grit. Possibly 320 grit might have been a better choice for adhesion. When I had gotten to 1000 grit it was so shiny I considered leaving it that way but after seeing it painted with the VHT I'm glad I didn't

Cleaned it multiple times in soap, water and Simple Green, then cleaned with PORs Marine Clean then Acetone, Then I applied POR's phosphate coating at let it dry for a day or two. Then I wiped it down with alcohol and rattle can sprayed it with VHT Universal Aluminum.

As far as the lower case I cleaned the exterior with non scratch Scotch Brite and simple green and will leave it like that. Now off to the builder.

Good to hear your not having any issues with gas/oil.

Comment

srsupertrap asked me to post some pics of my results, remember that this is one coat of VHT's Universal Aluminum after baking in oven

First pic taken in overcast sunshine.

Second pic is a close up also in overcast sunshine

Pic three is slightly shaded area against my fence

Cropped version of pic 3.

I did auto correct for contrast and color in Photoshop, what you see above is pretty close to actual and not far off of Suzuki stock color. It's looks very close to Yamaha's silver case paint as well when I hold it up next to my 01 FZ1.

Anyone think I should add another coat? This single coat is on top of PORs Phosphate coating.

Comment

Looking good. Depending on how thick that coat was looks ok. I did a lot of fine coats all in one go. Lot of setup on the tape. i just sprayed mine and wipe the gasket surfaces with a rag dipped in petrol. When/if you bake the barrels the sleeves might move so just have something to hold them down while cooling.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2011, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                  srsupertrap asked me to post some pics of my results, remember that this is one coat of VHT's Universal Aluminum after baking in oven

First pic taken in overcast sunshine.

Second pic is a close up also in overcast sunshine

Pic three is slightly shaded area against my fence

Cropped version of pic 3.

I did auto correct for contrast and color in Photoshop, what you see above is pretty close to actual and not far off of Suzuki stock color. It's looks very close to Yamaha's silver case paint as well when I hold it up next to my 01 FZ1.

Anyone think I should add another coat? This single coat is on top of PORs Phosphate coating.
                  It's tempting to apply another coat but to be honest it looks fine right now.
                  1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                  Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

GS1100G Cylinder, Head & Valve Cover

Got my parts from Kleeme Performance, the 1100G D Port, valve job & mild street port. I spend hours degreasing followed by cleaning every crevice with lacquer thinner. I follow Sharpy's advice and bake everything at 175F before shooting it with VHT Universal Aluminum

Tomorrow I will bake at 200F and start installing valves:

Bored to 73.5mm

Last edited by srsupertrap; 05-30-2011, 09:15 AM.
                    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

[QUOTE=srsupertrap;1426512]Got my parts from Kleeme Performance, the 1100G D Port, valve job & mild street port. I spend hours degreasing followed by cleaning every crevice with lacquer thinner. I follow Sharpy's advice and bake everything at 175F before shooting it with VHT Universal Aluminum

Tomorrow I will bake at 200F and start installing valves:

Maybe i worded this wrong or you read it wrong...
                      Same company, same name. Same stuff 11yrs down the road? And remember about CLEAN surface and heating in the oven for a hr at 150f at least. And dont paint cold metal it goes spotty, paint warmer metal is always best. WARM metal will leave you a rough finish as the paint dries to fast. No a expert but works for me. Have fun.

That comment was for baking the paint after you painted. Opps
                      The cold metal statement was for not having it too cold when painting as the paint goes funny. Looks like everything turned out ok.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy;1426707
                        Maybe i worded this wrong or you read it wrong...
                        Same company, same name. Same stuff 11yrs down the road? And remember about CLEAN surface [B
                        and heating in the oven for a hr at 150f at least[/B]. And dont paint cold metal it goes spotty, paint warmer metal is always best. WARM metal will leave you a rough finish as the paint dries to fast. No a expert but works for me. Have fun.

That comment was for baking the paint after you painted. Opps
                        The cold metal statement was for not having it too cold when painting as the paint goes funny. Looks like everything turned out ok.
                        Not a problem, I waited till all those parts were warm to the touch and started painted at that point. Worked well because it actually flashed off some heavier spray applications. Looks new

Currently baking:

Comment

[QUOTE=srsupertrap;1426772]Not a problem, I waited till all those parts were warm to the touch and started painted at that point. Worked well because it actually flashed off some heavier spray applications. Looks new

Dam hope it looks new. LOL Lot of work but doing it right the first time is only way to go. You putting a cooler on it or leaving the standard look? Will look great when all done. When i get a job mine is getting a overall. Frame is getting a tad tatty.

Comment

Nice looking work going on. So whats the aim by using VHT? Concourse restorations or just getting it good for the road?

I've a solution that is used for cleaning aluminium wheels. Takes just about every thing off including the paint but will leave white marks once its dries.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                              Nice looking work going on. So whats the aim by using VHT? Concourse restorations or just getting it good for the road?

I've a solution that is used for cleaning aluminium wheels. Takes just about every thing off including the paint but will leave white marks once its dries.
                              Thanks for the complement but mine is no concourse restoration, look at Nessism's or Nvr2old GS1000S's for that eye candy. I like all the tasteful period performance mods so those folks would not like my GS1000. Since I have a new 1100G head, 1100 cylinders & valve cover it deserves a coat of VHT Universal Aluminum just to make everything look factory fresh again. Only used a little over one can of VHT

Comment

Working...
                              X