Shiny Skunk for Chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow... awesome stuff!

Now if only I could ride with only one arm and one leg I'd consider sending my stuff over...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Chuck's gonna have to wear sunglasses and a tighter helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        Larry can you tell me a bit more about the Cold Weld?
        Is it a thin layer of the Bonding Compound or is there an actual paint?
        Obviously it stands up to gas, so is the purpose just to protect the bare metal throat?
        I use Cold Weld because it's creamy w/o being runny. Yes, you have to seal the edge of the paint to protect it from the gas fumes getting underneath and causing it to lift. It's just a nice smooth 1/4" wide smear where the opening meets the filler neck base, being careful to keep it off the top of the opening to ensure the gas cap seals properly.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
          Larry, that picture is all the advertisement you'll ever need. slap it on a business card with your name and phone number.

now the problem for me becomes- do I put the factory orange peel on my side covers-or not?
          Thanks, man. I like to think it's the prep and the finish work that makes a paint job sing. It's a lot of work to get that kind of reflection and depth, but it's always worth the effort. Many hours of block sanding is what gets the parts so straight. Ya know, for a totally factory correct-concours appearance, some restorers want the orange peel left in the finish. If that's what's needed for your side covers to match the rest of the parts, I would do that rather than have a couple of parts look out of place with a nicer finish. It all has to match in my opinion.
          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            AHHH LARRY...Look at that pic very closely!! You put the lettering on backwards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Yeah and his pipe is on the wrong side as well.

That is one damned fine paint job!

Comment

Damn guys, don't do this to me, I visualise Jennifer shining like a jewel in the sun, pristne and gorgeous, as motivation to get me through and keep me pushing on with her make over, when times are hard and the wallet is empty.
              Just when I had settled, or so I thought on a a paint scheme, you come and showcase that i front of me, now I am convinced she needs to go back to black again, as she was from the factory.
              Guys, I am never going to settle on a scheme if you keep tempting with all that eye candy.
              Awesome job there, well done, absolutly stunning, how many coats of clear went on ther, if I may ask?
              Chuck, gonna be one proud *&^% riding that machine around.

Comment

Very impressive work. Always nice to something done the right way....
                David
                1998 Suzuki Bandit
                1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                1978 GS1000 - gone
                1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Wow, amazing paint job.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                    Damn guys, don't do this to me, I visualise Jennifer shining like a jewel in the sun, pristne and gorgeous, as motivation to get me through and keep me pushing on with her make over, when times are hard and the wallet is empty.
                    Just when I had settled, or so I thought on a a paint scheme, you come and showcase that i front of me, now I am convinced she needs to go back to black again, as she was from the factory.
                    Guys, I am never going to settle on a scheme if you keep tempting with all that eye candy.
                    Awesome job there, well done, absolutly stunning, how many coats of clear went on ther, if I may ask?
                    Chuck, gonna be one proud *&^% riding that machine around.
                    Thanks everyone for the compliments. It's very appreciated. Black is a bit more finicky to keep nice, but it looks great when it's all polished up. I've had/have several black bikes and cars, and curse myself for doing them each time, saying I'll never own another black paint job..but like an idiot..I keep going back to it. It..just..looks..soooo..good...arrgghh.

9 coats of clear, total, Flyboy. It gets sprayed in 3 separate applications of 3 coats each to get the stripes buried, but sanded down smooth between each application to avoid a huge buildup. The reproduction graphics these days are really thick vinyl.
                    1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Thanks Larry, I thought as much, to get that awesome depth, I am busy doing a full from the frame up restore on my GS 1000G, and I know it is not collectable, but I want it as good as I can get it, so I am going to have a go at trying to get something like your work, although I know it is never ever going to come close, but hey, I have to try.
                      After seeing your beautiful artwork I have decided to go back to the original black, red and orange, she came out the factory with.
                      I can't find the red and orange decal kit, so I am planning on spraying it in, so everything, save the pin striping will be 2K.
                      I hope you don't mind me picking your brain when the time comes, but I really want to do this myself, rather than farm it out.
                      I am not taking anything away from you, it would be totally impractical to ship all the bikes clothes across the Atlantic to get them done.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        Package them like they need to survive a nuclear blast in ........................
                        He packaged my stuff extremely well.

Nice work, Larry...as usual! I am very happy with the job he did for me. Chuck, the pics don't do it justice...wait until you see your stuff in person!
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Is it a secret how much a paint job like this would cost? Assuming the typical lumpy, but not overly so, body parts starting point. Don't mean to be an a$$, and it's none of my business since I do my own work, but just wondering for information and possible future referrals sake.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            Is it a secret how much a paint job like this would cost? Assuming the typical lumpy, but not overly so, body parts starting point. Don't mean to be an a$$, and it's none of my business since I do my own work, but just wondering for information and possible future referrals sake.
                            I'm sure it depends on what is done. Send Larry a PM and I'm sure he'll give you some prices.
                            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              As Bruce mentioned, I'd love to talk to anyone about prices, but I do my best to stay away from that on an open forum for no other reason then I don't want to take advantage of someone else's site for that purpose. I'm probably walking a fine line advertising that I even do it. Believe me, though, I'm just a guy trying to make a living in a tough economy. So much of the prices I charge go directly into materials, which are rippin' expensive. $300-$500 for the simplest color schemes using top of line PPG materials. I can tell you, I'm not getting rich. I do it because it's a pseudo masochistic-artistic-kinda-thing, which I dig, and I do it because I love the bikes. If I can combine the 2 and make a living, I'm a happy guy. So far, people like yourselves are making that easier. Thanks.
                              1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                                As Bruce mentioned, I'd love to talk to anyone about prices, but I do my best to stay away from that on an open forum for no other reason then I don't want to take advantage of someone else's site for that purpose. I'm probably walking a fine line advertising that I even do it. Believe me, though, I'm just a guy trying to make a living in a tough economy. So much of the prices I charge go directly into materials, which are rippin' expensive. $300-$500 for the simplest color schemes using top of line PPG materials. I can tell you, I'm not getting rich. I do it because it's a pseudo masochistic-artistic-kinda-thing, which I dig, and I do it because I love the bikes. If I can combine the 2 and make a living, I'm a happy guy. So far, people like yourselves are making that easier. Thanks.

We have a Parts and Services forum here on GSR. I suggest you start a thread, include a few photos, and list some general prices so people don't have to ask. Keep it simple.

Not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to offer some suggestions on how you can showcase your work and inform possible buyers at the same time. Your work is superb and deserves visibility.

Good luck
                                Last edited by Nessism; 06-11-2011, 03:24 PM.
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X