Grips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grips

What kind of grips could i get to fit my 1982 gs750t? Does anybody have recomendations? Thanx.

Any grip that fits a 7/8" bar will work on your 750. I bought a set of gel grips off of E-bay last year (~$10USD) and they work well. I did almost 10,000km last year and they show almost no wear and they help reduce vibration a bit.

Mark

Comment

I bought some new

I picked up a set of new universal Kuryakyn's chrome and rubber they are the most comfortable I ever used great for long hauls.

Keltic

Comment

Re: I bought some new

Originally posted by Keltic
        I picked up a set of new universal Kuryakyn's chrome and rubber they are the most comfortable I ever used great for long hauls.

Keltic
        Keltic,

Hey, can you provide some more information on these grips.

Amos

Comment

Think he may mean these.

Comment

It's all up to your personal preference. You might want to measure -- grips usually come in two different lengths, and I can't remember offhand which is correct. Grips are cheap and available anywhere, so try 'em all.

After trying many, many kinds, I have a set of Sun touring grips on my bike. They are a hard, heavy rubber material, with a pronounced curve in the middle.

In other words, if you stand them on end, the middle part where your palm sits look like this:
            ()

Instead of this:
            ||

For me, this shape eliminated the tingling and numbness problems I was having on longer rides. The weight of the grips, along with some bar end weights, also helps dampen a lot of vibration. The rubber is rather hard to the touch, almost like a tire, but has a perfect level of tackiness -- they are very easy to grip firmly with leather gloves on. You don't have to squeeze very hard to get a good grip.

If I were silly enough to ride without gloves, they would probably raise horrific blisters. They don't feel all squishy and semi-erotic to the bare hand like the gel, but they are perfect over the long haul when wearing gloves. They also don't come in groovy colors and patterns, either.

The Sun grips last forever, too -- the jellys usually need to be replaced a couple of times a season.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Hmmm...I need a set of those sun grips. I get the numb thumb\pointer fingers too on long trips.

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                Hmmm...I need a set of those sun grips. I get the numb thumb\pointer fingers too on long trips.

Dm of mD
                Try gripping the bar with the other edge of the hand. Instead of the index and thumb, shift the weight out.

And/or get new grips.

Michael

Comment

Got these...

They're great!!

Comment

'Round here we peel them off. If they're glued on we slip a screwdriver under them and weasel the screwdriver around under the grip, maybe shooting some wd40 under the grip. Once you get ANY wd40 under the grip, massage it a bit and it will almost certianly jump off the grip.

Getting them to stay on is almost as easy. just be sure to get it REALLY clean, use a little WD40. slip the grip on. And leave it. In 8-12 hours it'll be solidly stuck on there. :-) Ah, the wonders of wd40.... evaporates without a trace.
                    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
                      'Round here we peel them off. If they're glued on we slip a screwdriver under them and weasel the screwdriver around under the grip, maybe shooting some wd40 under the grip. Once you get ANY wd40 under the grip, massage it a bit and it will almost certianly jump off the grip.

Getting them to stay on is almost as easy. just be sure to get it REALLY clean, use a little WD40. slip the grip on. And leave it. In 8-12 hours it'll be solidly stuck on there. :-) Ah, the wonders of wd40.... evaporates without a trace.
                      I won't need glue? Got a set to put on, too (below).

Oh, Brian, get the chrome ones, man, those are cool!

Comment

Originally posted by BriTXbike
                        So what's the best way to get the grips off?
                        Since you're going to be replacing them, slice 'em off with a razor knife, quick and easy............To install new ones, spray the inside of the grips with hair spray. Slide them on quickly while the hair spray is still wet. They will go on easily and you'll have a couple minutes to move them around. Once the hairspray dries (overnight) they will be adhered nicely to the bars. Also be aware that the grips will be different. The inside diameter will be larger for the throttle side.

Thanks,
                        Joe
                        IBA# 24077
                        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Desolation Angel

I won't need glue? Got a set to put on, too (below).

Oh, Brian, get the chrome ones, man, those are cool!
                          YOU, will need glue. Or I actulaly thought those used setscrews. I hate big grips...
                          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

I've got blue Super-bike grips on mine, and they look & wear great, but after about 50 mi. I have to look to confirm that my hands are still on the ends of my arms. Im gonna have to make a change... the throttle side feels worse; can throttle return pressure be lessened with safety?

Comment

Working...
                            X