Fairing DImensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long time no see.

Some progress on shaping and sanding the fairing bit.

If we get some consistently warmer weather, I'll make more progress.

Comment

I just discovered a good, relatively inexpensive way to mount the fairing.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=608413&page=2 Post #26

You can get the whole bracket for about $50 on Ebay. I'm gonna pick up one of these to modify for my 1/2 fairing.

Comment

I may have rethink my mounting angles to go for this instead:

Comment

I've been wanting to do something with this, but to me it's like doing ding repairs on a surfboard. I doubt I'll ever fix it, but considered many times to repair it.
          I'm sure some one could modify the dimensions to make a cool vintage style 1/2 fairing out of it.

I just watched the 100 greatest TT moments last night, with several fairings like the ones posted.

GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Still in rough stages, but made some progress on my half-fairing and mounting bracket.

Bracket:

Fairing. I split the fairing horizontally to angle the top up a bit and make it tall enough for the handlebars to clear. Here it is after reinforcing the expanded sides with some sheet aluminum and glassing over stuff. I'll sand it back into a better shape.

A new fairing warrants another seat. Or I am addicted to fiberglass and resin. Here is the new seat, so far. Pretty similar in shape to the last one, but this seat is slightly wider, and should allow me to install the tail-light differently (i.e., better).

More progress to come.

Comment

Continued to shape and sand my fairing and the form for my windscreen. Just fiddling with the transition angles from nose to screen.

Still fine-tuning the slope and side angles, then I can map out how to level out the top/back of the screen. Once the form takes shape, easy-bake oven time.

Comment

I'll be anxious to see your process for making a screen. Might be easier to find a screen and modify the fairing to fit it.
                1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

That is coming along nicely.

Comment

Working...
                  X