What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do?

Well, I paid $350 for this thing, and I've got about $800 into making it functional. "12k" miles, but I have yet to decide if that is 112k or 12. Leaning towards 112.

I've replaced things like the new battery, o-rings, fuel mixture screws, fuel tees, petcock, POR-15 fuel tank coating, tires, clutch friction plates & springs, etc, etc. I've more or less been nickle and dimed to death. I'm probably going to go ahead and replace all of the rubber in the brake calipers as well.

Anyway, it's not exactly a pretty bike, largely due to scratched paint and rusty chrome. So far, all I have decided on for sure is degrease the hell out of it, new handlebars, find some side covers, paint the tank & covers, and probably ditch those custom highway pegs.

What is unclear is what I'm going to do with all the chrome. Maybe just degreasing it will make it look 80% better. Maybe I could clean up and paint the fenders to match the tank & covers. Maybe I could replace the chrome? I don't know how much that would cost, or where to order it.

I restored a '67 mustang so I should be able to do this, I'm just not sure what's available.

So, if it was yours, and you were willing to spend, say, $500 on materials, what would you do?

-Matt

Cafe it, bob it, chop it, flat trackerise it, anything goes with the chrome.

Whatever you do, lose the ridiculous handlebars.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Maybe take a look through the "L" picture thread for some ideas and inspiration

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=197246

Comment

You can clean the paint up great for 50$ worth of material and a rented rotary buffer. I think there is a lot of promise in that Bike! The chrome will never be 100% but you'd be surprised what some steel wool and elbow grease will do. Side panels could be gotten off of ebay. 30$ handlebars, 100$ for new clutch and throttle cables.. you'll be sitting pretty for less than 500. Some left over for tires I'd bet.

Comment

Originally posted by lemonshindig View Post
          So, if it was yours, and you were willing to spend, say, $500 on materials, what would you do?

-Matt
          If it were mine and my budget was $500 for materials, I'd sell it. You can't do much with $500... Tires and and brake system overhaul will kill a lot of it. Then there's still forks, shocks, electrical up grades ect. to go.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
            If it were mine and my budget was $500 for materials, I'd sell it. You can't do much with $500... Tires and and brake system overhaul will kill a lot of it. Then there's still forks, shocks, electrical up grades ect. to go.
            Tires will eat up $$, but you can clean up the brakes and add SS lines for not much money.

Is that a 4-1? Cannot tell from the pic. If it's a good exhaust that's just dirty, pull that off and clean it up. If the chrome is too far gone, you might wrap it.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
              Tires will eat up $$, but you can clean up the brakes and add SS lines for not much money.

Is that a 4-1? Cannot tell from the pic. If it's a good exhaust that's just dirty, pull that off and clean it up. If the chrome is too far gone, you might wrap it.
              Might be some confusion here...tires are already done correct? I would make sure brakes are up to snuff and ride...

Comment

Unless its just killing you I would get the side covers, clean her up and ride. There will be time to worry on the appearance later...

Comment

500 is for the appearance only.

That's just about what i'm willing to spend on looks, I have kind of adopted the ever-so-dangerous "I'll spend whatever I have to mechanically"

My exhaust is dual 2-1.

Comment

For $500 you can do a complete professional looking repaint and some decent looking chrome to boot.
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Could you guys help me out with what side covers will fit?

I could find the part # and cross-reference it, but I'm curious what other styles would mount up.

Is there a popular vendor for buying new chrome pieces?

Thanks
                      -Matt

Comment

Working...
                      X