No announcement yet.

Trailer/sidecar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In that picture, the hitch is at its limit, but the Wing does not tip ove nearly as far as most other bikes.

With the other bikes, you would twist the hitch on the bike or the tongue on the trailer unless you have a swivel hitch.

Simply being careful where you park or using a pad under your side stand will be a LOT cheaper than a swivel hitch.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well, the thing that ocurred to me was the prospect of being halfway around a bend and feeling the trailer not letting the bike lean any more - I decided to side-step that one entirely and even if in normal use it's nowhere near that, I feel the slight extra effort to devise one was worth the peace of mind - also, the parking lot scenario does hold some weight. Anyone who's had a bike fall over will know that one and if the trailer can be prevented from distorting the support frame at the back of the bike, or even worse, distorting the parts of the bike frame that attaches to, again it's worth the effort.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Very nice, Dave, but that's comparing apples to oranges.

He was asking about sidecars and/or trailers on an 850.

Same frame and all, but the 1100 has a LOT more power.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            that's comparing apples to oranges.
            So more like comparing a crab apple to a big juicy honey crisp apple.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

There are a few guys who have attached a sidecar to a KLR650. A KLR boasts maybe 35hp, about half of what a GS850 is supposed to put out.

A Ural sidecar rig puts out maybe 40hp. There's a guy I see regularly around Indy who's towing a sidecar with a Honda 600 shadow (also about 40hp).

So I suppose the question is more what your criteria for "enough" speed and power are.

The KLR650 and Ural sidecar rigs are not much fun on an interstate highway at 80mph, and may even not be able to attain 80mph. They seem to work OK everywhere else.

Then again, interstates aren't the least bit of fun on any motorcycle in the first place.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The GS850 was many sidecar haulers' bike of choice for a few years in Europe. At one point it seemed that every third one I saw was pulling a chair. There's no question of it being powerful enough or up to it, chassis-wise.
                I'd trike one of mine before I did that, though.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I built this trailer with a swivel tong and can turn it upside down while connected to the bike. It has a short tong and has low center of gravity, and trails very well with load.

V
                  Gustov
                  80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                  80 GS 550 L
                  86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Hey wait a minute..I recognize that photo!! that's a real place???
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post

Hey wait a minute..I recognize that photo!! that's a real place???
                      Yes, it's real.

It's the set for "Corner Gas" a TV show set in the prairies. Saskatchewan, I think.

Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                      1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

it is not just a set, it is a town south east of Moose Jaw Saskatchewan, down hwy 39 towards Weyburn, and the border crossing at Portal,
                        Town is named Rouleau, "Dog River" for the tv show, even the old elevator name has been changed to Dog River
                        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Working...
                        X