Replacement Side Panel Studs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Side Panel Studs?

After some searching here I have come up empty on this. My '82 1100E has most of the studs broken off the side panels. Has anyone come up with a decent replacement method that lasts? I was thinking about trying industrial grade velcro but I think that may hold too well and make it near impossible to get the side panels off once installed.

Are there any great solutions or ideas out there that I have missed?

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

One of my bikes has a metal stud shaped and installed. It has been like that since before I bought it
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
      One of my bikes has a metal stud shaped and installed. It has been like that since before I bought it
      Do you have any pics of this?

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
        Do you have any pics of this?

Mark
        I'll take a couple.

Comment

There are threads on here where members have made new tabs as well as other little tips and tricks with magnets and such.

When I got my bike 1100e ALL the tabs were gone and it was held on by Velcro. It was on the bottom of the tank skirt and a couple other spots where the side panel made contact with the frame. It seemed to be easily removable.

The PO also had drilled a couple little holes on the top where he zip tied it, although I am not sure that was necessary.
          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

Recognizing that the search function is not the best, I do know there are a number of threads on this exact issue.

One solution is the use of rare earth magnets...

here's a thread that puts a couple of options (including Sugru) out there:

'83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
              There are threads on here where members have made new tabs as well as other little tips and tricks with magnets and such.

When I got my bike 1100e ALL the tabs were gone and it was held on by Velcro. It was on the bottom of the tank skirt and a couple other spots where the side panel made contact with the frame. It seemed to be easily removable.

The PO also had drilled a couple little holes on the top where he zip tied it, although I am not sure that was necessary.
              zip-tying the panels is a nasty bodge. Makes cleaning and other minor maintenance issues a PITA
              '83 GS650G

Comment

I'll take a couple.
                Many thanks.

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
                I had something else in mind for where to mount the velcro, but I will go look at my bike again and see what I think of going around the perimeter of the side cover with the velcro.

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                Recognizing that the search function is not the best, I do know there are a number of threads on this exact issue.
                I was looking for some of those threads. When I was previously a member years ago I remember this being a regular topic, but I found nothing useful in my searching. Of course, I was looking for "side panel", not "sidecover"... (we need a banging head on wall emoticon)

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                zip-tying the panels is a nasty bodge. Makes cleaning and other minor maintenance issues a PITA
                I agree. Zipties hardly belong on race bikes let alone a daily rider street bike.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

What I did on my 83 750, i used some small bolts, size like what you would use on clutch cover, drilled a hole being carefull not to go threw, drill size is what you would use to tap for this size bolt don't remember off top of my head, you drill close to center as you can just enough to get bolt started then epoxy in and bunch of j b weld all around it, mine is holding very well and functions like original

Comment

Try these and use your dremel if needed to shape to fit. Personally, I just used a piece of 1/4" aluminum stock and shaped the end to match the original connector end. I can post a pic as well tomorrow when I get home.

1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Those are a dream. I wonder why they specify Honda? Did Honda use a different plastic than other Japaneses bikes of the era?
                      '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                        Personally, I just used a piece of 1/4" aluminum stock and shaped the end to match the original connector end. I can post a pic as well tomorrow when I get home.
                        Yes please on the pics. I have thought of using aluminum flat bar to make new tabs, but then the question is how to permanently attach it to the side cover.

Mark
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

(we need a banging head on wall emoticon)
                          Here ya go:

I have thought of using aluminum flat bar to make new tabs, but then the question is how to permanently attach it to the side cover.
                          The answer there is ... SLURRY.

What's "slurry"? It is ABS plastic dissolved in acetone to about the consistency of mayonaise.

The side covers are ABS. Using slurry will chemically adhere some new plastic to them. You can make some new tabs (buying the tabs for the Goldwing would be easier) or make some brackets to hold some aluminum parts, but it holds very well. I have fixed a crack (OK, it was a break, not just a crack) up the full length of one corner of my son's saddlebags and have recently patched up the lid on one of my saddlebags. Does not take much, and when it 'sets', it's just like the original plastic.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

PM me, and I'll text photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Here ya go:
                              Awesome. Now how do I add it into my emoticon list?

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              The answer there is ... SLURRY.

What's "slurry"? It is ABS plastic dissolved in acetone to about the consistency of mayonaise.
                              OK, where do I get the ABS plastic to use in the slurry? Does the slurry bond well to aluminum? I was thinking about using epoxy with some chopped glass mixed in but the plastic slurry sounds like a better answer.

PM me, and I'll text photos.
                              PM sent.

Mark
                              1982 GS1100E
                              1998 ZX-6R
                              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                              X