No announcement yet.

Replacement Side Panel Studs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used a 2 part plastic epoxy to adhere a christmas tree clip (used commonly on cars to hold panels on) if you cant find one large enough a small zip tie on the end of the clip will add enough girth to hold it inplace in the rubber grommet

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
      Awesome. Now how do I add it into my emoticon list?
      That is on the list for another forum I visit occasionaly, I have that page bookmarked for easy access.

OK, where do I get the ABS plastic to use in the slurry?
      Go to Lowe's, Home Depot, ACE Hardware, etc., look in the plumbing department for black ABS drain pipe and/or fittings. Find one that looks affordable. A 3" or 4" coupler (or two) would have enough plastic in it to do a few repairs, they are only a couple of bucks each.

Does the slurry bond well to aluminum?
      I don't know if it does, but if you have an aluminum bracket that has a bent "foot", you can slurry all around that foot to trap it in place.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you want the "Honda" studs - do not buy them from the eBay link...

Cyclemax has them cheaper ...

High-quality Honda Goldwing OEM and aftermarket parts and accessories for GL1800, GL1500, GL1200, and GL1100. Extensive selection, affordable prices, and free shipping on US orders over $199. Fast same-day shipping. Experience big box store prices with personalized mom and pop customer service.
        Currently in the Stable :
        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
          If you want the "Honda" studs - do not buy them from the eBay link...

Cyclemax has them cheaper ...

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/side...r_studs/136689
          wow, that is $10 a stud for a short rod of plastic. I bet home depot has plastic rods that could be whittled too.
          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

I'm really liking the magnet idea, especially with ASB slurry, you could mount the magnet on a shim made seom pipe or a coupling.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Sorry guys, I've been busy and tardy getting pics uploaded. But, here they are. You can use plastic slurry or a good strong epoxy and well prepared surface to adhere the aluminum to the plastic. Ideally, you are doing this on a panel that hasn't been finished yet in which case drill some small holes through the aluminum and through the plastic panel and make sure the slurry or epoxy is pushed into the holes. Then finish the front side of the panel by smoothing it down. This will make a basically permanent fix. If the panel is already finished, then eventually the aluminum will break off. But that's ok, just make another one and do it again. I used some real strong epoxy and properly prepped the surface and this one has lasted quite a long time so far. Good luck!

1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                Sorry guys, I've been busy and tardy getting pics uploaded. But, here they are.
                Excellent, thanks. That is pretty much what I had in mind, it's great to hear it holds up well.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I'm feeling ignored

Comment

Hehe...I guess every topic gets retreaded eventually. Search first, ask 2nd!
                    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Working...
                    X