GS model diferences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS model diferences

Is there a link on here that can tell me some of the more subtle differences in the GS models?

While restoring my 1000 I realized my rear brake rotor was drilled and the fronts are solid. Looks factory. I have also seen factory drilled fronts, so Im wondering which years had what and came with which models.

Originally posted by Lucky13xx View Post
    Is there a link on here that can tell me some of the more subtle differences in the GS models?

While restoring my 1000 I realized my rear brake rotor was drilled and the fronts are solid. Looks factory. I have also seen factory drilled fronts, so Im wondering which years had what and came with which models.

78 and 79 had solid rotors front and rear 80 had slotted discs not drilled

ozman

Comment

There is not really much of a link or a list, just what many of us have observed and learned over the years.

Feel free to ask any specific questions, but the key word is going to be "specific",
      as some of the differences were from year-to-year, other differences were model-to-model.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Don't worry -- just post some nice clear pics and the eagle-eyed nitpickers will positively crawl out of the woodwork.

Also more details about what model you're restoring would help -- model, year, etc. along with your approximate location on this big blue marble floating through space.

There were some important differences worldwide, so one common issue with online resources is that it's sometimes not clear what country the given specs or colors are for. And once in a while a GS that started life in one country ended up in another.

Also, bear in mind that Suzuki was in the business of bolting together motorcycles and selling them to make money. Many variations have been found that have no explanation other than they were using up last year's parts, or got a new batch from a slightly different supplier, or next year's parts arrived early. Or the painter was a little hung over (or a lot hung over), or the paint batches didn't exactly match.

Post pics. Big clear pics. The GSR Hive Mind will quickly get you sorted out... or hopelessly confused.
        Last edited by bwringer; 07-20-2014, 11:23 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

1979 gs1000e is the model. She's currently in a few peices. Most of the bike looks pretty original. The P/o looks like he did a budget restoration on the moto and paint. (Including a long bolt that did a number on my clutch basket and an oil pan full of shavings) The big one for me was the rear/front brake difference. Seemed odd to have a rear drilled but not the fronts.

Comment

As previously mentioned, the slotted (not drilled) rotors started with the '80 model year. Note that the '80 model year's production started in August or September of '79, so check the production date on the VIN plate.

The '79 and '80 calipers are different, too. Not sure exactly how, or if the brake diameter was any different. Would be nice to check the disk to make sure the caliper is pushing the pads into all the right places.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

brake diameter is the same on 78/79/80 twin disc models exception is models with single disc front brakes which have a larger disc such as the C model wire wheel version and i have seen a few 79 with mags and single disc although not sure if these were a standard setup
              80 models use the 1 piece disc slotted not the solid riveted version used in 78/79

ozman

Comment

I found this little bit about the model variants of the GS450. Upon another search I found much more info on the GS1000. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                X