Opinions on paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    The Electric KoolAid Acid Test was my favorite.
    The winter in California is not long enough to read the whole book. Barely have time to service the toys for spring! HAHA
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

The Electric KoolAid Acid Test was my favorite.
      Originally posted by glib View Post
      The winter in California is not long enough to read the whole book. Barely have time to service the toys for spring! HAHA
      Have you passed the 'acid test'?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Great comments so far. Just the variety I was looking for. I knew there was pearl in the OEM paint. Just didn't know it was gold. I was thinking also of adding a coat of red candy to deepen the red color without the flake or maybe just a hint of flake. I like hearing other ideas.

(What is the best source for the OEM decals)?

it's where I got my decals from for my 83

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
          paint it on how you want, it's your bike.....I painted mine pearl white, and I love it.....
          Originally posted by wymple View Post
          It won't do **** to the market value. It's not a Cooley. Paint away.
          +1 to both. OP only has to make himself happy, no one else. I am not a fan of the big metal flake look on the helmet in OP, but it isn't my helmet or my bike. I am working on painting my 1100E white with a red stripe and couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about it.

GateKeeper, your bike looks great in white.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Have you passed the 'acid test'?
            Not me!!!!!
            sigpic

Comment

.Opinions please.
              Thats pretty nice looking orig paint (its it ?)

How about finding another set of bodywork..... ?
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Regarding not needing to please others, here's my position. I can dress myself but I'll look better if one of my daughters picks my clothes. I am a decent painter and have done some nice airbrush work--but I can't draw well and do not consider myself particularly creative. I know what I like when I see it though and just listening to the posts here is helping me dial in what I will do when the time comes to paint the bike. For example, the amount of flake in the helmet probably would be bit much on the bike. But a variation of the color along with a fraction of the flake could be very stunning and classy at the same time. So everyone has an opinion and I don't mind hearing them. Thanks to all.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                  Now there's an idea. Nardy had an ED with two complete sets of bodywork - one stock '83 ED blue, the other kind of ES white and blue striped. Made me buy an extra gas tank just thinking about it (I haven't followed through).
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                    Thats pretty nice looking orig paint (its it ?)

It is actually nice original paint except for some cracking on the front fender. There is a very small and shallow dent in the left side of the tank--took me a while to even notice it...and a couple minor scratches. Paint is not really a high priority since I still need tires, brake lines and a chain, but at some point I will want to perfect it. A nice bike is a bit like a beautiful sculpture to me. Sometimes I can just walk into the garage, look it over and smile. I'm sure most of you understand...and many of your wives, like mine, do not.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                      paint it on how you want, it's your bike.....I painted mine pearl white, and I love it.....
                      Gatekeeper, that is a beautiful seat! Where did you get it?
                      sigpic

Comment

Why limit yourself to one colour?
                        That deep candy apple red is always an attention grabber, but it would be too much on the whole bike, I would go with the candy red and break it with a nice metallic silver to offset it, the deep red and the light silver will contrast well and look super sweet.

Look at Joe Nardy's bike to see what I mean, the dark blue on its own would be too much, too dark, and the silver on its own would be bland, but together, the effect is nothing short of stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                          Why limit yourself to one colour?
                          That deep candy apple red is always an attention grabber, but it would be too much on the whole bike, I would go with the candy red and break it with a nice metallic silver to offset it, the deep red and the light silver will contrast well and look super sweet.

Look at Joe Nardy's bike to see what I mean, the dark blue on its own would be too much, too dark, and the silver on its own would be bland, but together, the effect is nothing short of stunning.

Wow! I hadn't seen that bike before. I do like that. Borrowed some from the ES. And that exhaust is very cool! Who makes it? Looks stainless. That couldn't be, could it? That is a result worth working for.
                          sigpic

Comment

Is that a full Supertrapp? Wicked.

As for paint, since you can always go back to stock, do it up in a way that makes you love it more while you own it, and if you own it forever, who cares about stock. I think the helmet color would look great on the bike.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Gatekeeper, that is a beautiful seat! Where did you get it?
                              It was reupholstered at a local place, he does bikes and cars and everything in between...

Comment

Wow! I hadn't seen that bike before. I do like that. Borrowed some from the ES. And that exhaust is very cool! Who makes it? Looks stainless. That couldn't be, could it? That is a result worth working for.
                                Yeah that would be a SS Supertrapp,my 85 750 has it's more common mild steel header/mid aluminum can system.

Comment

Working...
                                X