Grips and fuel cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grips and fuel cap

What are you all using to replace your grips? I bought a set of drag bars but was looking at different grips. Bars are 7/8 but only find ones that have 7/8 one side and 1" throttle which won't do any good on 7/8 bars. lol. I did send an email asking if the throttle side was 7/8 but I really dig these http://www.vipcycle.com/machine-gun-...ar-grips-pair/

Also has anyone replaced the square type fuel cap on 82 GS1100GL into somethign more round possibly pop up style without any mods done to take as in direct swap?If so any pics and where did you get it from? also if anyone is local around Albany NY to stop by and lend a hand to help speed up project can order pizza and get some work done.

The throttle side is 1" so it can fit over your throttle...

Comment

Originally posted by huntb View Post
      The throttle side is 1" so it can fit over your throttle...
      Even though my bars are 7/8? I am thinking it is the plastic type grip/hosing on sport bikes? First time digging into a project like this. I did do some small stuff on my other bikes but been trying to learn as much as I can doing this project. What if they are 7/8 both ends, would still fit?

Comment

What do you think is under the grip that rotates? It's not the handlebar and its not part of the grip

Comment

Originally posted by Jmanor View Post
          Yuck. I was going to suggest ProGrip #721 grips. They are super comfortable, soak up some vibes and last pretty well (~30,000km for me). But they certainly don't look anything like those chrome things, so you would be on your own there.

Even though my bars are 7/8? I am thinking it is the plastic type grip/hosing on sport bikes? First time digging into a project like this. I did do some small stuff on my other bikes but been trying to learn as much as I can doing this project. What if they are 7/8 both ends, would still fit?
          All motorcycle throttles have a sleeve that turns on the outside of the actual bar. The bars are indeed 7/8" OD, but the sleeve is bigger (naturally) as it fits over the bar. The bigger grip is to fit over that sleeve.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I kind of thought about it and was like duh there is a plastic tube/grip, how else would it work. Lol. Not sure how I feel about basic grips which is why I looked at those. Even basic black metal type works.

Comment

Not sure how I feel about basic grips which is why I looked at those. Even basic black metal type works.
              I'm not sure how much riding you have done or how long your typical ride is, but those metal grips will be very uncomfortable in short order. Lots of people put bling on their bikes for the look and not function and that is your prerogative, but I would much rather enjoy riding my bike than admiring the grips while at the local watering hole. It is your bike, so make yourself happy.

I forgot the fuel cap. The only changes I have seen made have been by cutting out the old filler cap and neck and welding in a new one. Unless you get lucky it is pretty unlikely that you will find a drop in replacement.

Mark
              Last edited by mmattockx; 10-22-2014, 09:04 PM.
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

The only grips I use are the large foam type with chrome trim on the ends. Comfy.

Comment

Biltwel makes what they call Kung fu grips,black or natural color,they are a ribbed grip so they have some softness to them plus they are a bit sticky,which I like,so your hand doesn't slip.these are available through bike bandit or lowbrow customs or other places,I'm sure,if you just google biltwell Kung fu grip

Comment

I use OEM on the grips. These engines are very smooth and shouldn't have any significant vibration if there running as there supposed to, besides the originals last forever.

Comment

What are you all using to replace your grips?
                      I recently put these ProGrips on. We used to call them sponge grips, and they were very popular on big Jap four "muscle" bikes and cafe racers in the '80's. (BTW, in my neck of the woods, most cafe racers were big Jap fours.)

I like the way they feel, and they certainly isolate your hands from much vibration, but I very much like the way they look, which just reveals my age.
                      Attached Files
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Not sure if I have dual throttle cable or single? Not a big fan of the foam grips.

Comment

What about these? Is 82 GS1100GL a single cable throttle?

Comment

Grips that are 7/8" on both sides are used on ATVs and snowmobiles (thumb throttles). Some manufacturers make a distinction between their motorcycle and ATV/snow grip sets.

Use whatever grips blow yer dress up... it seems that everyone has a different favorite. Try some different ones and see what you like.

I will say that the metal grips can be pretty slippery. Your hands can get pretty sore because you have to squeeze them hard to hang on. If you just gotta have that heavy metal look, there are some that have rubber inserts protruding that give your hands some traction and cushioning (Kuryakyn grips, for example -- expensive as hell, but surprisingly comfy if you have really big hands).

There are also some gel grips out nowadays that look metallic. Pretty wild looking.

I prefer soft grips that give plenty of traction, so I can use the proper loose grip. I don't mind changing then once every year or two -- $10 or so is a drop in the bucket.
                            Last edited by bwringer; 10-25-2014, 11:35 PM.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Now have decide which one's I want. Both should fit as 7/8 bars and different size OD. Hopefully the throttle side fits. lol. Leaning towards painting tank dark teal.

Comment

Working...
                              X