Two days of cleaning and polishing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trevor,
    thank you for sharing your "chemical" secrets. Very generous of you to take the time to document so thoroughly.
    If I may, a couple of questions:
    a) are you achieving these beautiful results with just the chemicals and elbow grease or have these bikes been through a very serious buffing procedure and the chemicals are used to maintain that buffed finish?
    b) do you have a routine /sequence as to what you do first to last? There is no way that I could achieve in a month what you can accomplish in a weekend. My attention tends to wander.

I think that your choice of inspirational music is spot on.

Comment

^^^^^^ yes, THIS ! ^^^^^

Comment

Yes Again, is the S100 the secret? I'm in the middle of buffing a spare set of engine covers and have read so many conflicting things about protecting them once you get the mirror shine.
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiesailer View Post
          Trevor,
          thank you for sharing your "chemical" secrets. Very generous of you to take the time to document so thoroughly.
          If I may, a couple of questions:
          a) are you achieving these beautiful results with just the chemicals and elbow grease or have these bikes been through a very serious buffing procedure and the chemicals are used to maintain that buffed finish?
          b) do you have a routine /sequence as to what you do first to last? There is no way that I could achieve in a month what you can accomplish in a weekend. My attention tends to wander.

I think that your choice of inspirational music is spot on.
          A) The cases and forks on my 750 we brought to a local plating company to have the clear coat stripped and then polished. I started doing them myself then got a quote from them and saved myself the time. Wasn't very pricey at all and worth it because they have the proper equipment to do it right.
          So I now just maintain them. When I mentioned here that I wasn't going to clear coat them some advice said that I should because it would be a lot work to keep them looking good and road wear would damage. Not true...I don't polish them that often, maybe 2-3 times a year and as you guys know I ride a ton and in all weather. The clear coat in my mind is just not a good idea because of chipping, yellowing etc.
          The S100 does a good job of protecting them too but like I said I rarely use it.
          Now I did not have the rims professionally done...just kept using Mothers on them and over time they come up beautiful. My new 1100 rims are already looking better.

B) I do have a routine...I get all my gear together...stools, bucket, washing supplies, hose etc. I thoroughly wash the bike. First I will spray diluted Simple Green on the front of the engine (where all the road grime collects) before I wash (helps loosen up the grim) it. Be sure to wash it off thoroughly as that stuff can leave a nasty residue. I was the top of the bike, tank first, seat, tail piece, gauges etc. Then working my way down in sections. Always rinsing as I finish a section. I will do the wheels next followed by the frame and engine. Always doing the grimiest parts last as to keep crap off your terry cloth rags.
          I will always have brushes (tooth and pipe) close by to clean in tight spots like fins and rims. Hey fins and rims...I'm a poet and didn't know it! lol
          After washing the bike is complete I then grab my shop vac and blow off as much water as I can taking care to blow off gauges, wiring, hand controls, rims, brakes and engine and carbs. I also blow water out of the screws for the things like signal lights, taillights etc. Water sitting around on your bike is not good.
          Then I will take a clean, dry terry cloth and wipe the rest of the moisture off of the tank, gauges, rims etc.
          Now you have a nice clean and dry bike. And can start the process of detailing. I basically do the same order again in polishing as I do in washing. It's important to note that I don't polish every time I wash the bike. I might do a detail polishing once every 10 washings or 3-4 times a year depending of course on how much I'm riding that particular bike.
          I know this seems like a lot of work and at first it is. But once you get a routine going that works for you it becomes easier and faster. Plus your bike just keeps looking better and better. I also realize that to some it's not important to keep their bike clean. For me, I really enjoy the process and find it relaxing. As I said before it's a great way to spot potential problems. Funny, when buying a used bike or car I would love the opportunity to take it home and wash it first. You would be surprised at what you might find.
          The other thing for me about a clean bike...and don't laugh..is it is a respect thing for me, if I take care and show some love to my bike it will do the same for me.

Cheers guys, hope that cleared some things up, if not don't hesitate to ask anymore questions.
          No signature

Comment

spiffy bikes!!
            GS1000G '81

Comment

Working...
            X