How to polish engine case on my GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to polish engine case on my GS

Hello out there I am new to this forum just looking for a little help. I have a 1981 GS750e it is a really great bike but it has some oxidation on the engine covers. I think it still has that original factory coating that came on it.I was looking for a way to polish that up a bit and make it look nicer. A friend of mine was thinking very fine steel wool but was not that sure.If anyone has a product in mind or a process please let me know. thanks Much Brian

Originally posted by btwilson123 View Post
    Hello out there I am new to this forum just looking for a little help. I have a 1981 GS750e it is a really great bike but it has some oxidation on the engine covers. I think it still has that original factory coating that came on it.I was looking for a way to polish that up a bit and make it look nicer. A friend of mine was thinking very fine steel wool but was not that sure.If anyone has a product in mind or a process please let me know. thanks Much Brian
    I just did this recently on my GS 650, first thing remove the cover(s) from the engine itself. It will make it far easier to polish them up correctly. Be aware that new gaskets will need to be purchased most likely. Next buy yourself a variety of wet/dry sand paper ranging from 150-2000 grit. The first course of action is to remove the clear coat finish on the aluminum. I personally used 150 grit to sand off this clear coat and expose the aluminum, it does take some effort but is worth it. Once the clear coat is removed, fill a large bucket with water and place the cover in it. Begin wet sanding with the 320 grit and work your way up to the 2000 grit sandpaper. Once you're done with the sanding I finish the piece of with some Mothers Mag/Aluminum polishing compound which works wonders.

Its a pain to do but if done correctly it looks amazing.
    Attached Files

Comment

Removal of the remaining factory clear coat is the first step. Whether you use chemicals or abrasives is up to you, but if you use abrasives, know that you will end up using finer and finer grades until you can use a buffing wheel in a machine, whether it is a bench-mounted device or a hand-held drill.

As SpecialK has mentioned, it's not easy, but the results are worth it.

When my bike is ready to be shown, there will be a few more pictures available.

If you don't feel up to the task of polishing them yourself, box them up send them to me.
      I will be happy to do them for you, for a modest fee, of course.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nice work Steve.

I'm using the hand held drill with polishing wheels method along with a dremel type polisher for the twiddly bits. As I'm fixing bits up I give them a going over. once you've got them up to standard, maintaining them is easy work if you stay on top of them.

My advice is to invest in good polishing wheels with 2 grades of paste.
        The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Removal of the remaining factory clear coat is the first step. Whether you use chemicals or abrasives is up to you, but if you use abrasives, know that you will end up using finer and finer grades until you can use a buffing wheel in a machine, whether it is a bench-mounted device or a hand-held drill.

As SpecialK has mentioned, it's not easy, but the results are worth it.

When my bike is ready to be shown, there will be a few more pictures available.

If you don't feel up to the task of polishing them yourself, box them up send them to me.
          I will be happy to do them for you, for a modest fee, of course.

Steve, I tried to search up your last few steps with the buffer as far as rouge, wheels etc but couldn't find anything. I have a mid range buffer (Harbor Freight) and am doing pretty good but not nearly the results you get. i don't suppose you could share some secrets or methodology???
          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
          1983 GS 1100 G
          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Rouge is pretty much useless. If you want to bring back a nasty looking engine cover you need heavy black cutting compound and a sisal wheel on a real power buffer.

Use chemical stripper to remove the clear coat first.

Before the power tools though you need to sand out heavy corrosion pitting with the finest sandpaper that will do the job. 220 grit is a common starting place. Work through 320 and then go for the wheel. You don't need to use a fluffy wheel and rouge at all unless you are going for a chrome look like Steve.

The factory Suzuki look is a brushed finished, not polished. If you are using sandpaper you can stop at 600 or 800. No reason to go higher.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah, I used the word rouge kind of loosely. I do have some black , brown, and white compound as well as some rouges. I have been mostly sanding to get the black oxidation out of the aluminum. I will try the black compound and sisal on the buffer I have which probably couldn't really be described as powerful. I would like to try for the mirror finish. Thanks.
              1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

I would take Steve up on his offer. I have done some of mine but now I just take them to a local metal finisher and get out the wallet. Really it's not that expensive, they are fast and they have the proper tools. Not to mention I don't make a mess of me and my shop.
                And oh yeah...it helps the local economy.
                No signature

Comment

^ btwilson, you need to know that Trevor has 3 jobs.

Comment

I did these covers with the sisal wheel and black cutting compound. Followed with POR-15 Glisten clear. Came pretty close to replicating the factory look.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah your bike looks really good--where would I find a sisal wheel? and black compound--Brian

Comment

Originally posted by winfield View Post
                        ^ btwilson, you need to know that Trevor has 3 jobs.
                        Yes..well one full time and couple part time.
                        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                          Steve, I tried to search up your last few steps with the buffer as far as rouge, wheels etc but couldn't find anything. I have a mid range buffer (Harbor Freight) and am doing pretty good but not nearly the results you get. i don't suppose you could share some secrets or methodology???
                          Not really any secret, but here's what I do:
                          Depending on how convoluted the surface is, I might use chemical stripper or a fine Roloc-type wheel from Harbor Freight. Used lightly, it's great for removing the corrosion that happens when the clearcoat is gone. If you use the Roloc lightly, you will end up about the same as a 600 grit paper. That is when I move to the spiral-sewn cotton wheel (from HF) on my Craftsman grinder (going to get an official BUFFER for the new shop) and the white polishing compound. I have found the best prices on the compound at Lowe's or Home Depot, and usually buy out their meager stock (3 or 4 tubes) when I re-supply. Apply enough pressure to the wheel to slow the motor down a bit and keep the part moving, or you will burn a crease in the metal. Rotate directions until it is all pretty shiny, then give it one final pass with some fresh compound to eliminate most of the swirl marks.

Now for one of my favorite pics:

It doesn't take all that much to get there, and, as Cyrano says, it's rather easy to keep it there.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve. You get a great mirror finish.
                            1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              I did these covers with the sisal wheel and black cutting compound. Followed with POR-15 Glisten clear. Came pretty close to replicating the factory look.

It does look really good. Are you happy with the Glisten Clear as far as how it holds up.?
                              1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Working...
                              X