How to polish engine case on my GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
    It does look really good. Are you happy with the Glisten Clear as far as how it holds up.?
    So far so good but that bike is not ridden regularly. The paint is pretty brittle. I think clear powder coat may be worth exploring.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      I think clear powder coat may be worth exploring.
      Subbed. I do a lot of work with a local powder coater and get a decent price, but they are weeks out and also like to have the ability to do my own stuff.

Are there other clear coats that have been recommended?

Steve - do you just re-buff annually, as needed or do you clear coat yours? I

wonder if the less smooth surfaces/more matte like factory type finish like Ed's (without a clear coat would hold up better in the long run or if the mirror like finish would?

Here's mine from last year and I rode the bike yesterday (59 degrees who-hoo!!!) and it doesn't look as good as it did then:

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a Roloc type wheel only with a once over on my VC, still needs polishing, but similar to the engine in the background it was DINGY and crusty:
      [IMG][/IMG]
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
        Steve - do you just re-buff annually, as needed or do you clear coat yours?
        No clear coat, just a little elbow grease now and then.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes, don't clear coat! It will eventually do the same thing (yellow, chipping and fading) again. Once the parts are done it takes very little effort to keep them looking nice.
          No signature

Comment

Originally posted by btwilson123 View Post
            Hello out there I am new to this forum just looking for a little help. I have a 1981 GS750e it is a really great bike but it has some oxidation on the engine covers. I think it still has that original factory coating that came on it.I was looking for a way to polish that up a bit and make it look nicer. A friend of mine was thinking very fine steel wool but was not that sure.If anyone has a product in mind or a process please let me know. thanks Much Brian
            While all the information above is correct, you need to chemically strip the part first and see what you actually have as a surface. The factory coating can appear really bad until you strip it. Use aircraft aluminum stripper, which is available at most auto parts stores in a big blue spray can.

Once you can see what the aluminum actually looks like, you can take it from there. I've had parts where the aluminum just needed the sisal wheel and black after getting stripped, others needed bead blasting to start.
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
              Subbed. I do a lot of work with a local powder coater and get a decent price, but they are weeks out and also like to have the ability to do my own stuff.

Are there other clear coats that have been recommended?

Steve - do you just re-buff annually, as needed or do you clear coat yours? I

wonder if the less smooth surfaces/more matte like factory type finish like Ed's (without a clear coat would hold up better in the long run or if the mirror like finish would?

Here's mine from last year and I rode the bike yesterday (59 degrees who-hoo!!!) and it doesn't look as good as it did then:

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a Roloc type wheel only with a once over on my VC, still needs polishing, but similar to the engine in the background it was DINGY and crusty:
              [IMG][/IMG]
              Wipe on, spray or dip to protect bare metal, paint, fiberglass and more

Here's a new clear coat. Haven't been able to find a review of it anywhere. From everything I've been able to learn, doing without the clear coat is probably best for now.
              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
              1983 GS 1100 G
              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

If the consensus is to not re-clearcoat then that's what I'll be doing. A little re-buff now and then isn't a big deal I was just curious of people had success with a clear lasting for years and years.
                ----------------------------------------------------------------
                2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Thanks for your help I will give it a whirl. Brian

Comment

I came across a video on u-tube about stripping clear off of aluminum and thought I'd give it a try and it worked great on my fork tubes. Wrap the part in an old towel and soak with lacquer thinner and seal up in a garbage or compactor bag. I left it in for 24 hrs. or so and all the clearcoat had lifted and just pretty much fell off the tubes.

Pat
                    78' GS1000EC
                    79' GS850GN
                    79' GS1000N
                    79' GS1000EN
                    81' GS1100EX

Comment

Lots of good info! Ok,so no clear coat seems to be the consensus,but what are peoples ideas on cleaning up crankcases?Covers that are removable are fairly easy to clean up and maintain,but how would I go about cleaning up crusty,oil soaked crankcase,cyl and head and keep it looking good?
                      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        I did these covers with the sisal wheel and black cutting compound. Followed with POR-15 Glisten clear. Came pretty close to replicating the factory look.

I have to redo some of mine this season, think I'll do this. Really like the look and it's less work to touch up. You're doing the forks the same aren't you?
                        Rob
                        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

That engine looks great.

Maybe a stupid question, but when I remove the engine covers on the left and right side, will any oil come pouring out?
                          I know that on the one side is the stator but what is on the other side? Gears?
                          The thing is that I just change the oil...
                          sigpic 1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                            Steve, I tried to search up your last few steps with the buffer as far as rouge, wheels etc but couldn't find anything. I have a mid range buffer (Harbor Freight) and am doing pretty good but not nearly the results you get. i don't suppose you could share some secrets or methodology???
                            I do mine the Ichiban way.

"Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

If you lean the bike onto the opposite side it will keep the oil from leaking out. You can put it up on the center stand and place a 2x4 under one side to lean it over enough. You could also drain the oil into a pan and then pour it back in when done.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                                I do mine the Ichiban way.

Obviously there's a lack of power tool fetish here ......

Comment

Working...
                                X