National cycle dx Windscreen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
    My sight line is 2" below top edge and "everything" goes over the top, including most rain. JM2c
    Only 2"?

The monster on my Wing is at least 4" over my eyes, and I'm 6' 5".

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yup, just 2" does it for me.

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

On mine it's 2" below my sight line. Still little to no rain on me except the very top of my helmet.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

What windshield do you have JT? I was looking at the plexifairing 2 and 3, I think the 3 is right at my eye line I measured and its roughly 24-25'' the windshields measure 20"/22" depending on the model.

Comment

Well bad news the seller on Amazon will only accept an unopened return and give me a 50% restocking fee plus all other shipping and handling fees I would have to pay. Looks like I'm stuck with this windscreen so im hellbent on getting it adjusted somehow to where it helps a bit here are some photos and let me know what you guys thinkimage.jpg
            Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2015, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gs1000g View Post
              I was looking at the plexifairing 2 and 3, ...
              The only difference between the 2 and 3 is the length of the lower 'legs'.

Compare these two pictures, you can see that.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

image.jpgAdjusted the windshield higher this morning we shall see how it does when it warms up a bit im open for other suggestions, also why does this always turn my photos?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Gs1000g View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]38905[/ATTACH]Adjusted the windshield higher this morning we shall see how it does when it warms up a bit im open for other suggestions, also why does this always turn my photos?!?
                  Gs1000g, Does that windshield just mount with 2 handlebar mounts or is there attachment to the forks too? How solid is it?

thanks
                  Brian

Comment

It mounts with two handle bar mounts, the directions recommend it touch the headlight but at any angle where it is touching the headlight its unbearable. It has rake adjustment up and down plus the height of the windshield itself. I honestly don't know if I can even use this windshield. The buffeting is so terrible even my wife who is sitting behind me said her ride was worse and she felt the buffeting on her helmet behind mine. I just don't think this windshield is for me. I am exploring other options now because its unbearable.
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2015, 06:01 PM.

Comment

If it's just a 2 point mount then maybe the shield itself is buffeting. The Plexifairings are 4 point and rock solid so it's disappointing that NC can't make a solid, small, sporty shield.

Comment

I don't know if I blame the shield, there are a lot of people that have the DX and have 0 complaints with it. I think its more bike specific. The L that Steve has it mounted on, the seat sits a little lower than my G if I tuck about 2-3' than the windshield does its job, problem is I cant comfortably tuck on the G even worse if the boss is riding behind me. I feel no matter how its adjusted that my helmet is always in the windstream off the shield resulting in buffeting, if I adjust it higher and there is a gap then wind comes under the shield and hits me in the chest therefore negating the reason I bought it in the first place

Comment

I used to have a Plexifairing 3 for my GS750B. Mainly because I have a bad back, I ride with my back straight and leaning a bit forward so my elbows are at about 90 degrees. In this position my head was fairly close to the WS and I was looking over it by an inch or two. I didn't have much issue with buffeting. If I sat back I would get buffeting but not in that forward position. Now that is with the PF3 but might be something to try with your shield.

Brian

Comment

Sell the windshield you have for whatever you can get for it and get a Plexifairing III. Bite the bullet and get what you need. You are taking a cross country trip; you do NOT want to chince on the wind protection. You will regret it if you do. Without decent wind protection just the amount of wind noise hour after hour will degrade your experience and your hearing.

In 2012 I did a 6 week 10,000 mile swing through the Pacific Northwest and the Plains on my 1100E fitted with a PFIII. Absolutely no problems or regrets and there were times I was so proud I had it. I am 6'5" also. I have always had windscreens or fairings on my bikes but that did not keep me from getting a more than respectable case of tinnitus affecting both ears. I can only imagine how much worse it would be had I not blocked at least some of the wind all of those years.

Think about it this way. Riding down a highway at 75 miles an hour on a non-screened motorcycle is the equivalent of sitting on a bench facing into the wind of a category 1 hurricane. In the case of a trip that is for hours on end every day. What is is worth to you to have something you can get behind?
                            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Because of a bad back, I now ride with my back straight and leaning forward a bit. This puts my head closer to the Plexifairing 3 on my Goldwing. There is much less buffeting than if I lean back more. It is like the vortexes caused by the wind going past the edges of the WS go right past my head instead of hitting it.

Might try that.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X