engine stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine stand

So, a co-worker has offered to loan me an automotive engine stand to help with my resto. I'll be cleaning, soda blasting, and painting my engine. Sure would be nice to have easy access and the ability to turn the engine over. Anyone have tips or pics on how to bolt up the motor to it? What else do I need?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Depends on how fancy the stand is, maybe. The photos that I have seen of GS engines on an automotive engine stand have had a big custom-welded bracket between the stand and the engine.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I'm sure if you could search you would find various pictures of stands.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        I'm sure if you could search you would find various pictures of stands.
        I found a few threads here showing engine stands. There was even a thread started by you. Unfortunately, none of your pictures would show up. I'd really like to see them if they're still available.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Ya, I hate that. You're part way through a great thread and the pictures are no longer there...arrrrrrrr Here's a couple of pics from Google

Not sure of the type of stand you're going to use but you can see they all basically use the two rear axles on the engine to bolt on to.
          Last edited by azr; 06-02-2015, 07:15 PM.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
            I found a few threads here showing engine stands. There was even a thread started by you. Unfortunately, none of your pictures would show up. I'd really like to see them if they're still available.

The free picture hosting site I had used for many years (at least 10) just disappeared one day and the links all went dead. I have restored some as I can search the file name in the deadline and find it on my computer. Mine is not great but if you have the link where the dead link is posted, I can restore it.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              The free picture hosting site I had used for many years (at least 10) just disappeared one day and the links all went dead. I have restored some as I can search the file name in the deadline and find it on my computer. Mine is not great but if you have the link where the dead link is posted, I can restore it.
              Thanks Jim. This is the thread:

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post

I fixed three of them. One was the old site and two were Photobucket. Do picture hosts in Photobucket expire?

Comment

That's pretty cool!

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Using currently to work on a 1150 motor.

Works well. Had to install the bracket vertically to make it work with the spacing. The clamp is to hold it vertically since the pin would set it at an angle. Four steel angle brackets (super struts I found on ebay), 1/2 inch bolts and B7 threaded rod.

Nic
                    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Nic I think your setup is the most common method I have seen. Ill be using it when I do the full tear down on 750L #1.

Comment

I had to cut down the two top angle brackets by 1/4". They hit the rear of the engine cases if not. I'll probably add some spacers in between the cases and angle brackets to get dome more clearance to the rear of the cases before paint.

Recommend the b7 rod. The standard isn't as strong and flexes too much.

Nic
                        83 GS1100ES rebuild:

Budget GSXR Conversion:

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
                          I had to cut down the two top angle brackets by 1/4". They hit the rear of the engine cases if not. I'll probably add some spacers in between the cases and angle brackets to get dome more clearance to the rear of the cases before paint.

Recommend the b7 rod. The standard isn't as strong and flexes too much.

Nic
                          Thanks Nic. I believe this is the method I'll use. Just picked up the stand. Where did you get the B7 rod?

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Metal by the foot is where I got mine. Store close to work. They can cut it down to size as well.
                            83 GS1100ES rebuild:

Budget GSXR Conversion:

Comment

Any reason to not use the existing motor mounts bolts? I don't trust the allthread either. Worst case I'll go with B7 as well.

Had a co worker modify some brackets I had here for me, they are a little bigger than yours at 2.5"x4.5", I would have have cut them in half but they were already drilled on the short side:

----------------------------------------------------------------
                              2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Working...
                              X