Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
    What i was getting at is, install when needed
    This is where the wife and I arrived last night.

I explained to her that I rode the bike without the rack and backrest and the bike had better torque, idled better and was far faster!

Actually... I told her I hated it but would keep it around and repaint it. It is a total of 2 shock nuts and 2 bolt and nut assemblies to install and it took me under 5 minutes to take off. This way if we decide to go for a long ride or a multi day trip I could just prep the bike a day ahead and reinstall the rack and backrest. Most of our rides thus far have been around 50 miles. To me its like dragging a trailer on my car all the time for something I may use 4 times a year

and

I swear it was faster had more torque and idled better !!

her suggestion .. and you have to love it was ... maybe we should get another bike and this one can just be my toy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God I think I married the perfect woman.

Comment

Get another, makes perfect sense if logistically feasible . I reasoned with my wife saying, you don't wear the same style of shoes everywhere right? No hiking boots while walking on the sidewalk and we don't wear sneakers climbing mountains...
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Get another bike...? Sure that works. And use the BBQ luggage thing as was suggested...when you need it.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

My opinions

FOR ME --

MY GS850 is a very utilitarian vehicle -
          I LOVE he way it looked without the rack & saddlebags--
          BUT - I use it to commute everyday (weather permitting) to work and back -
          Not having the ability to carry stuff and store my gear while I work would be a problem for me.

The bonus for me is that I can actually take the GS850 out for a longer ride (overnights) now that I have capacity to haul stuff.
          However it is NOT a 2-up ride as it sits now...or any 2-up riding we do ...
          I take the Goldwing - she likes riding on the back - and it is extremely well suited to do it.

My commuter -
          Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

damn wingsconsin that is one pretty bike .. I love those chrome fenders but I have a question .. how did you get the tranny cover so shinny! I tried some bllue magic on a rag with elbow grease and it cleaned it but it is still all mottled.

I am flirting with someone local who has a running registered bike but I am not really a fairing guy but I imagine I can remove it .. I just think its a bit tattered for the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
              damn wingsconsin that is one pretty bike .. I love those chrome fenders but I have a question .. how did you get the tranny cover so shinny! I tried some bllue magic on a rag with elbow grease and it cleaned it but it is still all mottled.

I am flirting with someone local who has a running registered bike but I am not really a fairing guy but I imagine I can remove it .. I just think its a bit tattered for the price.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/m...356223408.html

I was fortunate enough to spend a few days with my bike in pieces at Steve house a few years ago.
              While he was holding the cover he tripped into a running polish wheel...(that happens to him a lot I've heard)
              After I got it back together and home I have simply been polishing it with a Mothers Power Ball and some Mothers Polish

But thanks to Steve -- it was pretty clean already
              But beware - if you are at Steves while he is polishing he will hand you the part to hold for him -- HOT !
              Currently in the Stable :
              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

SOoooooooo What do you think .. dont try and think what I think .. just your open and honest opinion ..

Leave the rack off

Have someone powder coat it Black
                From the looks perspective the rack is awful and really detracts from the lines of the bike (IMO). From the utility perspective it can be very handy if you often carry things that don't easily fit in a tank bag or back pack. Only you can decide what is more important to you, but I don't think there is any question on the looks side of the equation.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/m...356223408.html
                  While that is a rather attractive price for that bike, that is not really an attractive bike for that price.

First of all, you don't see too many 4-into-1 pipes on a touring bike. Yes, I have one, but it's basically as quiet as stock. That one is a Kerker, and very few of them are worth listening to on a longer ride.

Second, that bike is missing the trunk. Besides being a convenient place to toss "stuff", it is the backrest for your passenger. Because that is an OEM Suzuki rack, you will not find anything ready-made that will fit it. If you want a backrest, it will have to be custom-made.

Third, please don't think for a minute that you are going to take that fairing off and take the bike for a ride. That is a multi-hour procedure that involves all of your lights, so you will need to find replacement lights to put on the bike while you have the fairing off.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I actually don't mind how that bike looks.. little tlc I'd ride it
                    I build Pipers

Comment

Its got about 50,000 on the clock but I too noticed immediately the kerker. I have to admit .. now that I am older I like my nice quiet bike. It has its own unique sound but I do a lot of riding in "natury" kind of places and I would rather see the wildlife than be screeching along making a racket. I also live in a retirement community and taht kerker would bring unwanted attention from my neighbors and I wouldnt blame them. I am very happy with my stock exhaust.

Guy says OBO and I think maybe at $1300-$1500.00 it might be worth the effort since its at least running but I would already be $400ish behind on new headers and mufflers. I am very handy with leather and wouldn't mind just getting a bike with a slightly larger engine and outfitting it with leather bags and trunk. I like the naked gold wings but trying to find one without a million miles on it is tough.

So the search continues. Im not in a rush as I still want to do sprockets and chain on my 750 and there is only so much money to go around.

Comment

Working...
                      X