Hard tail bobber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard tail bobber

I know many do not agree with making the GS a bobber but we all have our own taste.

I have been working on my project for a bit here and there but can't find a hardtail kit to fit ,even if it universal. TC Brothers said saince it's a shafty, the universal they have won't work.

Has anyone done a hardtail on their bike?

I have a 82 GS1100 Shafty.

I don't want one myself, but you can do what you like with yours. If you weren't 3000 miles away I would even try and blag a test drive on yours (when finished) just to see what it is actually offers.

Are you looking for a weld in type kit? I expect the reason you can't use a standard hardtail triangle is that it usually replaces the stock swingarm setup. For a shaftie you just need a solid brace that goes from the top rear of the main loop down towards the rear shock mount on each side. You will be stuck with the stock swingarm in order to keep the shaft drive system but you can fix it in place with a solid frame to give you a hardtail frame. That certainly shouldn't be rocket science.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I agree, a shaft driven bike isn't the best choice for a hard tail. The shaft tube is part of the swing arm and that gets eliminated when going hard tail. Your only option is solid struts and that doesn't change the look like most hard tails do. If you've got the urge to change the stock look, the go cafe or brat with the shafty and then look for a chain drive bike for a bobber project.
      Last edited by gsrick; 03-02-2018, 09:37 PM.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Most people who do this just make struts that replace the shocks.

Keep the shocks around and you could put the struts on to take pictures or whatever it is people do with these things, then slip the shocks back on if you want to actually ride.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If you do end up with a hardtail, keep a couple of things in mind.
          1. The u-joint in the driveshaft does not like to be run at extreme angles. It is a simple u-joint, so the velocity of the output shaft will change TWICE with every revolution. The greater the angle, the greater the speed variation.
          2. The u-joint does not like to run in the same position all the time. If the shaft is not perfectly straight (see point #1), the speed changes will hammer the bearings into the races, which will create more clearance and slop in the driveline.

As others have mentioned, we are not trying to rain on your parade and tell you not to do a hardtail, what we are saying is that this is probably not the best choice for the project.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think choppers and hardtail bikes are cool (sometimes) but a GS shafty is just the wrong bike to hardtail. If you're going to get into a project like that ... get a chain drive.
            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
            1977 GS550
            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

150227_0002.jpg
              This is a early 750 that I worked on for a kid.
              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

150227_0001.jpg
                I'm not sure if it was a kit or someone fab work. I hope you don't have back problems, because even with the springer seat, it's still harsh on bumps.
                GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

You could make new down tubes to tie the frame to the swing arm and maybe even attach them where the shocks go...but as has been said, a hard tail is a rough ride depending on the streets where you live...highway speeds can be "interesting" over patched/rough road. My friend had a hard tail chopper long ago...tiny tank and all. I road it once and while it was different I don't know that I'd want to ride that every day - but that's me. You paint your canvas how you like...

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                    I don't know that I'd want to ride that every day
                    The kid bought the 750 for a daily rider to go to UCF. He lived approximately 10 miles from the school. Those pics were taken at the shop I work at and I gave him my card in case he decided he wanted to sell it. About 8 months later he called me to clean the carbs, because he wanted to sell it. He said he rode it for a week and drove his parents car the rest of the time and decided to sell it to get his own car. The carbs were gummed up from not riding it. I did a few test rides on it fine tuning the carbs, made my own decision not to make an offer on it. I'm not sure if my back would have handled it or not, probably not, but I felt as if I was sliding back especially getting up to speed. Maybe with wider up turned back it would have been better. At least this one has a rear fender. I've had to test ride a Shadow 1100 bobber at work, that didn't have anything but a rotating tire behind the seat.
                    GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                      The kid bought the 750 for a daily rider to go to UCF. He lived approximately 10 miles from the school. Those pics were taken at the shop I work at and I gave him my card in case he decided he wanted to sell it. About 8 months later he called me to clean the carbs, because he wanted to sell it. He said he rode it for a week and drove his parents car the rest of the time and decided to sell it to get his own car. The carbs were gummed up from not riding it. I did a few test rides on it fine tuning the carbs, made my own decision not to make an offer on it. I'm not sure if my back would have handled it or not, probably not, but I felt as if I was sliding back especially getting up to speed. Maybe with wider up turned back it would have been better. At least this one has a rear fender. I've had to test ride a Shadow 1100 bobber at work, that didn't have anything but a rotating tire behind the seat.
                      Yeah...you have to run a big rear tire to get any kind of "suspension"...and that tire would probably try to hunt all the road imperfections too.
                      More power to those who run them...I'll just watch though.

Comment

Working...
                      X