How do I remove the trip reset knob?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I remove the trip reset knob?

There is a bastard of a whine coming from the speedometer on my 1981 GSX400E so I took it apart using instructions I found using some old forum posts but I have hit a wall. I can't figure out how to remove the Trip Reset knob. One post that was referencing a GS1000 says it just pulls off. I tried that and pulled as hard as I was confident that I was not going to break anything but it did not come out. It is an order-able part so it must be removable but I just can't figure out how.

20180908_204037[1].jpg

Have any of you ever rebuilt a speedometer from a GSX400E?

Some models have a tiny screw in the centre of the knob which needs to come out first, others don't. If the screw isn't there or has been removed they just pull off.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The only indication of a some sort of screw is a hole in the front of the knob, but I can't feet any sort of screw in there with any tool that I try put in there.

20180909_080922[1].jpg

Also, the exploded diagram on CMSLN does not show any sort of screw.

Comment

If I remember correctly, turn it the opposite way that it normally turns and pull. However, take a flash light and look in the hole real closely
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          If I remember correctly, turn it the opposite way that it normally turns and pull. However, take a flash light and look in the hole real closely
          Turning it in the opposite direction of the reset function just makes it spin freely without any resistance. I have taken a close look down that hole and I see no sign of a screw.

Comment

You'll want to pull at the same time. It will come off
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I've started using tools to try and pry this thing off. It is not budging. I am 100% convinced it is locked in somehow.

Comment

don't do that. CowboyUp is right. Mine comes off in the direction he describes ...yours is stickier. Try giving it a quick forceful spin as you keep slight outward pressure on. then keep turning. It takes quite a few turns before it comes off entirely so don't be fooled that it doesn't seem to grow visibly out of the shell as you turn it off. There's not much to tell you it's coming off is what I mean.

I broke an aluminum shaft threading onto on my irreplaceable(so far-argh) honda tripmeter so please don't get aggressive until you are ready to live with consequences...writing down the odo on slips of paper!

Really, I hope you are absolutely certain the whine is internal and that you need attack the innards of this....

If you really must and are exhausted, you can move on to taking the needle and face off and see if you can get a hold of the tripmeter's shaft that threads into the plastic knob-I can't recall if this'll help access without taking mine apart again but since You'll have to do this anyways to find your whine, maybe now's the time. Be VeryCareful prying that needle off. It must come up exactly evenly on all sides-(make a fork device) and a bit of padding of thin wood or cut up bleach bottle will protect your speedo's face... you want to buiild the pad up so your leverage is upward not sideways at all...and a long lever will be gentler and more controllable as you pry....
                Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-09-2018, 05:52 PM.

Comment

I wonder if some doof superglued the knob in there?
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                    don't do that. CowboyUp is right. Mine comes off in the direction he describes ...yours is stickier. Try giving it a quick forceful spin as you keep slight outward pressure on. then keep turning. It takes quite a few turns before it comes off entirely so don't be fooled that it doesn't seem to grow visibly out of the shell as you turn it off. There's not much to tell you it's coming off is what I mean.
                    I took off the screws that were holding the face of the speedometer to the internals and that gave me a better look at what is going on in there and you are right, there is no screw and it looks like the knob is pressure fit, but that thing is on there good. I work in electronic repair and a common problem I find with old equipment (20-30 years old) is that tight fitting plastic gears eventually crack. This is caused by the plastic shrinking over time, and when the gear is mounted on a metal shaft, well, the plastic is going to give before the shaft does. Could this be happening to this knob? I have a second speedometer from a donor and it has the exact same problem, the knob just won't come off. This beggs the questiong, why not just use the spare speedometer? The odometer count is over 10k km shorter than my original and I don't feel comfortable with that. If it showed a greater distance than the original, sure no problem.

Really, I hope you are absolutely certain the whine is internal and that you need attack the innards of this....
                    I am sure it is internal. I have tried numerous types of libricants and cleaners over the last few months that solve the whine for half a ride around the block and then it comes back with a vengence. Taking the speedometer apart to do a proper rebuild is something that I have been building up to after many attempts at an external solution. The straw that broke the cammel's back is that I got too aggessive with a spray lube and some of it got on the face. I took the speedometer apart to clean it, but now that the can has been opened I might as well do the job right.

If you really must and are exhausted, you can move on to taking the needle and face off and see if you can get a hold of the tripmeter's shaft that threads into the plastic knob-I can't recall if this'll help access without taking mine apart again but since You'll have to do this anyways to find your whine, maybe now's the time. Be VeryCareful prying that needle off. It must come up exactly evenly on all sides-(make a fork device) and a bit of padding of thin wood or cut up bleach bottle will protect your speedo's face... you want to buiild the pad up so your leverage is upward not sideways at all...and a long lever will be gentler and more controllable as you pry....
                    I have made some experimental tugs at the needle but it seems to be part of the shaft the goes into the face. It has some sort of small nut that I am guessing is retaining that needle shaft and I don't want to risk damaging that of all things.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      I wonder if some doof superglued the knob in there?
                      I don't think they did. I have a spare speedometer that has the same problem so I think it's just a case of plastic shrinking over time.

Comment

There is more than one way to skin the cat.

20180910_105304[1].jpg

I took Gorminrider's advice and started to tug and pull on the needle. It released easily and I then took the clips that were holding the trip counter assembly to the rest of the mechanism. If the knob does not want to release then let it stay.

Comment

well! that's a novel approach! whatever works. Carry on!
                          if you end up having to use the spare, well, in case of selling,if you look close at the ICBC transfer papers, there is a provision for a replaced odometer....you likely already noticed it takes a long time to turn the odo ahead, with an electric drill holding a squared nail ...a labeller can make a label to stick on to remind you ("+10459" or whatever) is practically just as good .
                          You might have to figure how to prewind the needle shaft before sticking the needle back on if you didn't mark the shaft already... I might suggest you get close to the ball park by testing the spare speedo with a drill set to a certain RPM....but hey, just keep it most accurate at school zone to 60kmh "ticketing speeds" eh?

Comment

I got the knob off!

The bastard is a screwed on using a wrong way thread. Lefty tighty, rightly loosie. The problem is I can't figure out how you are supposed to remove it without taking the whole speedometer apart, but that's a question that no longer needs answering.

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Comment

Lefty tighty, rightly loosie
                              yes, that's it..... it doesn't need to be back on very tight only 'til it turns the tripmeter so I guess we luckier ones have been getting them off with just a fast spin against the slight inertia of the shaft and dials....(which did not work with my Honda's aluminum shaft so maybe not diss the plastic!)

Just a note while I think about it in case this speedo fix goes awry and you want to use the spare...per resetting odometers and a good idea for removing the speedo or tach needles...( I collect this stuff because it disappears or I lose links etc.)
                              Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-13-2018, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X