Bad gas story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cipher View Post

How many inline filters specced for a low fuel volume lawn mower are attached?
    I don't have any filter attached, but I guess a proper one would be a good idea.
    1983 GS400E - Canada specific
    Noobie mechanic with some determination

Comment

If I thought a filter was the problem, I'd check the one in the tank... I never was fond of those add on filters, though others swear by them... Also any filter probably wouldn't care if bike was warmed up or completely cold.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Agree but since I have the tank at hands I will probably inspect petcock if I can source O-rings.

I quickly checked for valve clearance even it is too early to call it a cold engine, out of 4 there seems to be 3 with no clearance at all (I cannot fit the 0,02 mm gauge when the lobe point upwards).

I think I'll have to double-check my method.

Also I don't understand how to use the motion pro tool to reveal the shims... Pictures in clymer's manual are so blurry I cannot figure

Comment

You can easily push those valves down with your finger. The adjusting tool can too. Make sure they aren't, or you don't over tighten them, or they won't close. The cam follower is a very easy adjustment, as you can see the bottom of the cams and where to adjust. Adjust each valve separately. I check mine every 3000 miles. The bike ('83 GS750ES) has 40K on it now and the valves are seated. It could use valve steams, but smokes so lightly, and only when it starts up. I over tightened them once, and could not get the bike over 4000 rpm's after it warmed up. Learned my lesson quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat View Post

Also I don't understand how to use the motion pro tool to reveal the shims... Pictures in clymer's manual are so blurry I cannot figure
            Did I not read earlier in this thread that this is a TSCC 4 valve/cylinder engine? If true, then this engine doesn’t have shims. It has screw/nut adjusters, and you’re using the wrong manual.

try this one. https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...ete_Manual.PDF
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Rich, I was wondering the same thing, he did say TSCC and 8 valves with 2 cyl. will be 4 V per cyl. But I've not worked on a 400cc TSCC eng. had no clue if could possibly be different than the 750 and 1100 TSCC. Your manual shows no shim, just an adjuster and a lock nut, just the same as the bigger TSCC... He'll be back, will be interesting to hear what's going on... What's your best advice for holding the little adjuster while tightening the lock nut, if you don't have the Suzuki special tool?
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

OP did edit post #10. I *think* he changed it to indicate 8 valves, but I’d like clarification.
                Is a GS400 a twin?
                Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Well, since you asked . Up until now, I’ve used a homemade tool that is simply a square head screw common in construction (probably Robertson’s #2; don’t quote me) screwed into a chunk of dowel whittled to provide a grip with thumb and forefinger, and a closed end 9mm wrench. It worked quite well.

Recently, from some other member’s AliExpress link, I purchased the 2 different types of tools shown left and middle below. Got both because they were dirt cheap, like a few $ each. Left tool is all in one, middle tool is 2 separate pieces. The feeler gauge shows how I’ve trimmed and bent my target blade to fit in the tight space where it needs to go see last pic. If pressed, I’m sure I could provide a link to these tools. One took a week to arrive, the other about a month.

Playing with the new tools on a spare head, it seems like the left all in one tool will work really nicely. But this is with the head on my workbench, not in-situ, where space is tight for knuckles and tools.

Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

The last time I encountered the issues described, it was down due to a bad connection on one of the coils.
                    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                      The last time I encountered the issues described, it was down due to a bad connection on one of the coils.
                      Yeah that might be just that but the valve had to be done anyway.

I started a new tread in the proper section with pictures, that was before I noticed your many answers!

Thanks for many pictures
                      Hey I could dig that conversation where you talked about these aliexpress parts but I'd be happy to have em easy too
                      Last edited by Mat; 05-29-2023, 05:39 PM.

Comment

We're wondering Mat, does your eng. have shims or rocker arms and adjusters, like in Rich's picture? ..Hey Rich, would have never thought there was a screw with a square slot the size if the adjusters. I like yours better than the mfg. ones, seems it would be better in tight places.

Comment

I can’t tell you what position cam lobes need to be in to do your measuring of the gap. That will be in one of the manuals that deal with Twin cylinder TSCC engines, which is what you have.

here’s the AliExpress link. Note, don’t buy this feeler gauge at the link. It doesn’t have the size blades you need. I got mine at auto zone. Actually had to return one defective gauge. It had two of the same blade and was missing the one I needed. Anyway, when you measure the gap, ALWAYS pay attention to your units of measure. Pick inches or mm and stick with it. Manuals have measurements in both. Be sure! THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832762311261.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.order _detail_item.3.3c4af19cDIqeuP&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Wow just wanna say I'm amazed at the help you quickly provided all of you guys. Thank you esp Rich I would not have needed to ask in another post if I had read you before.

About the other thread I started ...I guess I should repost the pictures here, maybe delete the other thread then ask an admin to move to the correct sub-forum?

To answer Rphilips It has rockers as Rijko pointed out in an incredibly fast manner after I posted pictures, check the timing

EDIT: forgot to tell I just ordered from amazon (Gorminrider provided the link for Canada in another thread) so I will have the proper tool to do the job delivered tomorow ( I was all-in for the Robertson screw anyway) and here's a picture of my gauges
                            PXL_20230529_201225808.jpg
                            Last edited by Mat; 05-29-2023, 07:02 PM.

Comment

You don’t need the Suzuki special tool in your picture. It’s for lifting the cam shaft so you can pick the shim out of the bucket. You have neither shims nor buckets. Tuck that away in the back of your tool box for some day when you have a Suzuki engine with shim over bucket valves.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Yeah until then I thought all GS had shims but I'm glad I don't have to order or exchange any.

Rich the manual you pointed to me on post 20 doesn't have a procedure how to check for valves, it only gives the proper clearance (0.08 - 0.13 mm) and on section 5 the valve timing wich I don't know how to interpret to do the job (not even sure that's relevant)

How do you proceed exactly and in what order to adjust? should I search for rocker and tappet valve adjustment? It looks important to me to do the same adjustment on each pair

Comment

Working...
                                X