No announcement yet.

1983 GS1100E Delkevic 4-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought so. I guess that's the side stand I'm seeing. Those springs work great, they've been used on dirt bikes for many generations. The bike really looks great. Looks like all the modifications are done subtly, which really makes the bike look very well thought out.

I tend to use paddock stands, as my ZZR1200 no longer has a center stand since I lowered it 1" inch using a "Soupy's" lowering kit. I have for the rear (Paddock stand) now I have to get one for the front. Now that I know it has a hole on the center bottom of the triple tree, I want to get one of those kind, as they are very stable. I have a motorcycle jack that surprisingly works really well on my '83 GS750ES. I can get that bike really high in the air, and with my bad back, that really helps. I can move it side to side relatively easily.

I just made one of those 360 degrees Lazy Susan type center stand plates that allows you to turn the bike around on the center stand, but found out that you really need a lot of space to spin the bike around. It was cheap to make though.

Comment

Afternoon Folks,

I talked and emailed with Vance + Hines, Patriot (nice guy) Super-Trapp / Kerker and Bassani.
      Chris at Patriot said he's not making exhaust for the GS1100E any longer. He has 1 Katana pipe in stock that would work if I fabricated some brackets.
      The other manufactures are not making exhaust for these old bikes any longer.

I looked for used but no joy there either for anything nice.
      So I ordered that Delkevic, we'll see how it goes.

I also ordered a Vesrah gasket set so when I pull the head to drill the bolts that are going to break I can put it back together.
      I tried to order from APE but they were out of stock and doubted that they'd get more.
      I sourced a set from Z-1 enterprises.
      Apparently the Vesrah sets are beginning to be hard to find.

I'd like to say "Thanks" to those who posted here about their experience with Athena sets as I nearly ordered that brand.
      Those are all over the place including Amazon.

On my way down the rabbit hole once again :-)

Comment

Personally I would buy OEM gaskets, as I only want to do that job once! I've heard of two many issues with the Vesrah gaskets to ever use them. Just my $.02
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I've used the Vesrah ones. Those and the OE ones are "compression" seals. The problem comes when people try to re-use them. You can usually get away with 2 to 4 times in my experience if they are quite new but not much beyond that. Also depends on how much torque you put on them the first time....

The Delkovic allowed centrestand & access on the 1100G. I've found that with all of the 4:1 it's a little bit tight. I cover the down pipes in Aluminium foil and shape it to funnel the oil into a drain pan. Chuck the foil at the end. Works great.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            I've used the Vesrah ones. Those and the OE ones are "compression" seals. The problem comes when people try to re-use them. You can usually get away with 2 to 4 times in my experience if they are quite new but not much beyond that. Also depends on how much torque you put on them the first time....

The Delkovic allowed centrestand & access on the 1100G. I've found that with all of the 4:1 it's a little bit tight. I cover the down pipes in Aluminium foil and shape it to funnel the oil into a drain pan. Chuck the foil at the end. Works great.
            He is talking about head and base gaskets, I presume, since he stated "after pulling the head"?? I never re-use those!
            Ron
            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
            1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Yeah sorry I thought we were still talking about Pipes. I meant the head to pipe gaskets.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

That was somewhat of a PIA.
                Managed to coax 4 bolts out and snapped 4 off flush with the head.
                Used every mechanics trick in my book.
                Heat, penetrants, impacts and combinations of the three.
                Even heated the head then hit the bolts with liquid 134A
                Whoever installed the V+H pipe bottomed the bolts in the holes and used no washers on the pipe flanges.
                40 years of heat cycles took care of the rest.
                I'm surprised it never leaked.

I drilled and tapped the broken ones with the head on the bike.
                I bought 2 cobalt 1/8th inch and 2 cobalt 17/64 inch bits, the bits were 6 inches long to be able to have a straight shot past the frame rail on Home cyl.
                Went slow and took my time, lying on a creeper.
                Someone should invent a creeper with brakes so you won't roll away from your work while pushing on a hand drill.

I have to admit, I was impressed with the Delkevic pipe.
                Fit was very good as was the finish.
                I painted the inside of the primary pipes with Eastwood header paint to try and cut down on discoloration.

I took the bike out today and it seems to run better as well, with better lower end and mid-range.
                I guess one could say I'm a Happy Camper.

IMG_2066.jpg

Comment

Somewhat? Man i would have filled up the swear jar with four snapped bolts.
                  What are the carbs? 36mm?
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by 45bpcr View Post
                    That was somewhat of a PIA.
                    Managed to coax 4 bolts out and snapped 4 off flush with the head.
                    Used every mechanics trick in my book.
                    Heat, penetrants, impacts and combinations of the three.
                    Even heated the head then hit the bolts with liquid 134A
                    Whoever installed the V+H pipe bottomed the bolts in the holes and used no washers on the pipe flanges.
                    40 years of heat cycles took care of the rest.
                    I'm surprised it never leaked.

I drilled and tapped the broken ones with the head on the bike.
                    I bought 2 cobalt 1/8th inch and 2 cobalt 17/64 inch bits, the bits were 6 inches long to be able to have a straight shot past the frame rail on Home cyl.
                    Went slow and took my time, lying on a creeper.
                    Someone should invent a creeper with brakes so you won't roll away from your work while pushing on a hand drill.

I have to admit, I was impressed with the Delkevic pipe.
                    Fit was very good as was the finish.
                    I painted the inside of the primary pipes with Eastwood header paint to try and cut down on discoloration.

I took the bike out today and it seems to run better as well, with better lower end and mid-range.
                    I guess one could say I'm a Happy Camper.

IMG_2066.jpg
                    I'm not sure my Suzuki ever had exhaust bolts in my time. I have taken to using (Excuse me...) Yamaha exhaust nuts on suitable studs on all my projects. Yamaha part number 90179-08004-00 for anything with an 8mm exhaust stud/bolt. There's even some room to drill for safety wire so it is "set & forget" once snugged down into place.

MTMzOTY1MQ-1f3d4a7f.jpg
                    Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
                    Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

The "bolts" were 6mm cap screws and all snapped at the junction of the shoulder and the threads as you can see in the photo.
                      The end of the caliper shows the depth of the hole in the head, which, coincidentally, is the same as the threaded portion of the bolt.
                      I installed the pipe with grade 8 anodized studs and 12mm copper coated manifold nuts.
                      I get that stuff from a supplier down in Mass.

IMG_2057.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X