Intake boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake boots

Looking for ANYWHERE I might find intake boots for 1983 550L. The bsw30ss carbs seem to be fairly unique and as such I can’t seem to find anything like OEM boots anywhere. I have an air leak somewhere and I’m thinking the 40 year old intakes are a good place to start looking. Thanks for any help in advance!

I would star with some starter fluid with the red straw installed and try and pinpoint the leak. Finding the area where the leak is coming from is the first step. IMHO.
    There are tons of the carb to engine ones on EBAY. You will have to determine the exact ones. Also, do you mean from carb to engine, or from air box to carb?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4432023.m570.l1313&_nkw= Suzulo+191983+550L+carb+intake+manifolds&_sacat=0

Comment

Are these the oddball twin-choked carbs?
      If so, the question has been asked before and, as far as I recall, carb boots for that model are hard to find.
      Fwiw, if it were mine, I'd look seriously at getting a set of carbs from the model immediately preceding or following, as carb boots for those are easily available from cruzinimage.
      For example...
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Carb boots are typically made by Mikuni and have a Mikuni part number printed on them. They are available at Winner's Circle in Markham.
        or http://www.jbmindustries.com/index.html

Comment

Thanks for the links and help everyone! This is for the engine side of the carbs. This fall I plan on doing a full carb clean and dressing the boots on both sides but just want to build a catalogue in case I need everything haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            Are these the oddball twin-choked carbs?
            If so, the question has been asked before and, as far as I recall, carb boots for that model are hard to find.
            Fwiw, if it were mine, I'd look seriously at getting a set of carbs from the model immediately preceding or following, as carb boots for those are easily available from cruzinimage.
            For example...
            https://www.cruzinimage.net/category...suzuki/page/5/
            Might be easier said than done... The mounting bolt pattern looks pretty unique too

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 08-02-2023, 07:59 PM.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
            ​​
            Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiAlfa156 View Post

Might be easier said than done... The mounting bolt patter looks pretty unique too
              Ah well, that scuppers that idea.
              Nothing's impossible though.
              I'd make up adapter plates.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                I would star with some starter fluid with the red straw installed and try and pinpoint the leak. Finding the area where the leak is coming from is the first step. IMHO.
                There are tons of the carb to engine ones on EBAY. You will have to determine the exact ones. Also, do you mean from carb to engine, or from air box to carb?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4432023.m570.l1313&_nkw= Suzulo+191983+550L+carb+intake+manifolds&_sacat=0
                The ebay boots are 100% junk. I was given a free set so I installed them to see how long they'd last. They didn't. OEM is the way to go.
                - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post

Ah well, that scuppers that idea.
                  Nothing's impossible though.
                  I'd make up adapter plates.
                  I probably would too.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
                  ​​
                  Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

I'd try renewing the old ones with peppermint oil
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

These are O.E.M. boots, with the weird 3 bolt mount pattern, left and right side. The link I previously posted suffered from my fat fingers and not proof reading, sorry. You could make a mounting plate go across the intakes, and make individual mounts and use conventional boots, or just about anything, depending on how you do it, and if you have the machinery (milling machine) or access to one.

Right side:

Left Side:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19586516589...Bk9SR7Lcs7q3Yg
                      Last edited by Suzukian; 08-03-2023, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        I'd try renewing the old ones with peppermint oil
                        Don't you mean "wintergreen" oil? I've used a 30/70 mix of wintergreen oil and xylene on soft rubber parts before, but never peppermint oil??? Although, peppermint would be better smelling!
                        Ron
                        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                        1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Robyle3​ did you check out the boots link I posted? They look like they are in really good condition, and they are O.E.M. boots.

Comment

FWIW, the o-rings always go before the boots. If the OP's boots are still relatively intact (not cracked, peeling off, shrunken, or missing chunks) perhaps replacing the o-rings would kick this can down the road a little longer.

But yeah, those fleaBay boots might be worth a try, although they're also 40 years old and expensive... they're certainly not spring fresh or anything.

The trick with wintergreen oil does work to re-invigorate dried and shrunken rubber boots, but ONLY if they are NOT cracked and still firmly attached to the metal bases. If they're cracked or peeling, then nothing besides replacing them will work.

Over on ADVrider.com, there are a few people experimenting with 3D printing various intake boots in flexible materials; these rubber bits are the last detail keeping a lot of nifty old bikes off the road or trail. It's a widespread problem, with few good solutions.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

You're definitely right about checking the O-rings out first. If they are intact, and still pliable, soaking them in Brake Fluid will make them swell up a bit. I'm sure that's a standard size O-ring you could find somewhere, if not from Suzuki. I was surprised how much those EBAY ones were, but I have never seen those even listed before.

With tubing, a lathe and milling machine, and some radiator hose, you can make intakes for anything. It wouldn't take much milling either. Depending on the bike, like this 550 for instance, a flat plate of aluminum with the mounting homes drilled out, and aluminum, or steel tubes pressed in, hosing could be used to attach the carbs. I saw a guy use a Volkswagen Beetle carburetor on an old Honda GoldWing engine by doing such a set up. He made a box, welded spots to attach the tubes (made 4 holes and sleeves for each hole), and ran a hose to each intake, where he made male adapters to clamp the hoses onto. It worked really well. Where's there's a will there's a way.

Comment

Working...
                              X