GS700E won't start when cold runs rich on choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS700E won't start when cold runs rich on choke

I'm hoping someone can give me some insight. I recently became owner of a 1985 GS700E and have been working on it non-stop over the last couple months to get it ready for summer.
    I will put a list of what I've done to get to where i'm at now at the bottom of the post. Here's my issue:

The bike is very difficult to start when cold. After it sits for about 6 hours or more, it takes me going full choke and giving it 1/4-1/2 throttle to start. Once it does start (if it does) it seems to run very rich (smelly exhaust, white smoke out of pipes). The bike will run fine once it's warm. Has power through all rev-ranges and idles where it should after it's warm.

List of what i've done:
    Adjusted valves
    Thoroughly cleaned carbs (dipped for 24-36 hours, de-racked, washed, compressed air, and carb cleaner before reassembly)
    vaccum synced carbs
    Checked air and intake boots for cracks (none and are still flexible)
    Replaced spark plugs
    Replaced air filter
    Replaced petcock and fuel lines
    Checked for vacuum leaks

Any advice would be great. I just want to be riding down the road care free!

The white smoke is excess oil burning off.
    Most likely the valve stem seals are shot and need replacing.
    Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
    VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like your “ choke” circuits aren’t enriching …each carb body has to scoop fuel off bowl bottom thru a little pipe which can easily get clogged and carry it to carb throat .. sounds like you did a good cleaning though.
      opening the throttle during cranking defeats the “ choke” designed intent.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the input. To be clear, the bike runs off choke until it’s warm like normal so it’s getting fuel once it’s running. Just that initial cold start (only cold starts) often requires me to be cracking the throttle while turning it over and then I let off the throttle completely while it fast idles and warms up.

Comment

Originally posted by maysha17 View Post
          Thanks for the input. To be clear, the bike runs off choke until it’s warm like normal so it’s getting fuel once it’s running. Just that initial cold start (only cold starts) often requires me to be cracking the throttle while turning it over and then I let off the throttle completely while it fast idles and warms up.
          Just to clarify - when you set the cold start device (choke) and leave the throttle alone, it won't fire, is that correct?
          It will only fire when you crack the throttle?
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by maysha17 View Post
            As advised in my earlier post..
            One or more of your plugs are oil fouling due to valve stem seal leakage which will cause the hard starting and the need for excess use of the throttle to fire..
            The white smoke is the oil being burnt off and clearing the fouling.
            Depending on the severity of the oil leakage engines with this problem will then generally start and run ok as you describe for the rest of the day until the next prolonged period of inactivity which allows sufficient oil to again pool in the cylinder and foul the plug.

Last edited by zed1015; 05-05-2024, 06:12 PM.
            Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
            VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

I'm with tom203. Starting a cold GS, come from the choke tubes. You should "never" even touch the throttle when starting a GS., If the carbs are right it "should not" start if you turn the throttle at all.. Did you assure the stock size pilot & main jets were in your carbs...Just an opinion from a non carb mechanic.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
              X