Starts, runs, then won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
    When it doesnt start check for spark and fuel in the bowls.
    Fuel makes sense but why would there be spark in the bowls?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Fuel makes sense but why would there be spark in the bowls?
      C'mon guy!
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

just a couple of Colorado guys cranking your balls chef...........we have to deal with so many Californians around here that giving a Bakersfield guy a bad time is GREAT

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          When it doesnt start check for spark and fuel in the bowls.
          Chef,

That's an ignition problem for an entirely different forum.
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            Chef,

That's an ignition problem for an entirely different forum.
            So what???
            Diagnostics is diagnostics
            Or are you giving me crap too?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I think that they're all telling you that too many Californians spark up way too many different types of bowls :-) Just a guess......

I took the motorcycle for a nice ride this afternoon and tinkered a bit with the throttle adjustmet until I got it at just around 1000 rpm. The bike ran great and scooter around the block beautifully. I brought it home, stopped it, and it started right back up. I rode it around for about 30 minutes more, brought it home, and when I tried to start it up again, the battery was deal. Totally seperated issue, but definitely highlights the fun and enjoyment of driving a 30 year old bike!

After I fix this problem, I'll update to let you all know whether the throttle adjustment worked for sure. More to follow....

Comment

We do have Humboldt Co.

Comment

well I'll say this....after I rebuilt my petcock last night it ran great but this morning, however, it ran for exactly 10 minutes again and shut off! I did notice this time the rectifier was so hot it burned my finger when I touched it.....after only 10 minutes of run time.

I'll be changing that for sure now...........something you may check into as well, being that it was intermittent for me and it was the EXACT set of issues you are having.........

Comment

Hmmmmm....I wonder if that could be causing my battery problem as well. I thought my charging system was good until today, but I'm not so sure anymore. I'm going to do the below recommended tests on it later and see what happens.

Comment

The only way is to check the charging system with a volt meter
                      The rectifier / reg will get pretty warm. If yours turns out to be bad ? get a Honda Reg from Dundege?
                      It will cause battery problems and could be the source of your intermittent problem too !!

Comment

I don't think mine is a voltage problem at all, I tested again today with fuel cap off and petcock in PRI position.....it ran for exactly 10 minutes again then died. It wouldn't restart until I sprayed starter fluid into the carbs, then it fired up and ran until it burned off the starter fluid.

This suggests that voltage is fine and that we are suffering from a fuel supply problem. But why only when it's warm? What are we missing?

Comment

As derwood said earlier, sounds a lot like poor gas tank venting. Runs fine at cold start up then the problem shows itself as things warm up. No re-start while warm unless you let things cool (unless you remove the "vacuum" by popping the cap). My first experience with this type of problem was with a lawnmower.
                          Not saying positively that it is but it's so easy to clean out the gas cap vent (basic maintenance anyway) that it's worth a try. If not done in a long time or used on a bike that sat a lot, the venting gets clogged up with "varnish".
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
                            I tested again today with fuel cap off and petcock in PRI position.....

Wouldn't this show that it isn't a blocked vent? The cap was OFF!

Comment

Grrrrrrrrrrr......

My problems keep piling up. I have to fix my electrical problem first so that I can diagnose my fuel problem. I love driving a 30 year old bike! I cleaned all of the connections tonight. They obviously hadn't been cleaned in forever. I'm charging the battery tonight to see if that fixed things and then I'll reattack the fuel problem. I have to say, though, that it's running better already with just raising the idle speed up to around 1000 rpm. More to follow.............

Comment

Joe,

While you're in there, add a ground from the R/R directly to the negative post of the battery

It's been know to boost the charging rate and it only takes a few minutes
                                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                                2007 DRz 400S
                                1999 ATK 490ES
                                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                                X