No announcement yet.

Starts, runs, then won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't apologize man...lol! Sounds like our issues are very simliar for sure, so we'll see who's riding first :-) I know that I have an electrical issue as well since it won't charge correctly. I'm curious to see if my issue is actually electrical as well. I have a new petcock coming just for peace of mind. I know that Keiith gave some good info on the prime position, but I wanted to change it out regardless. I'm going to put on a new regulator/rectifier as soon as duaneage gets some new ones in. When I'm working on this thing, I wish that I would have spent more money on getting a better bike, but when I'm riding it, I absolutely LOVE it. More to follow.......

Comment

Not that they need much of an endorsement from me, but Z1 ships really fast! Part was ordered yesterday and should be here by Friday or so and I didn't do any type of expedited shipping. Nice...

Comment

Yeah! Got the new petcock in today. Hooked it up and it ran for about 20 seconds. Now, it won't restart at all. Everything is hooked up right and there are no kinks anywhere. I pulled the main fuel line to see if anything was happening at all, and there is no fuel flowing through the petcock at this point. I'm assuming that it's not getting enough vacuum to engage the diaphram, but I'm at a loss at this point.

I ran the battery down trying to get it started, so I'm letting it charge back up while I cool down. I'm about ready to burn this thing to the ground and just go buy something not made by Suzuki. Stupid 80's model petcock......

Anyone got any advice? I'm open to anything

Comment

Does if flow fuel when you suck on the vacuum line?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Why yes! I just went out to test it. Works well in both the normal position and the prime position. I pulled the line when it was in the prime position and it just spewed everywhere. I switched it to run and sucked on the vacuum tube and it just spewed everywhere. I love the smell of petrol! So yeah...not the smartest thing to do, but quite honestly, if it would have caught on fire and burned to the ground, I would have danced around the ashes. I washed the fuel away, so I'm just waiting for the battery to recharge now and I'll try it again later.

Any other possibilities? I'm thinking that the fuel just needed some time to work its way into the system before it would crank over, but I ran the battery down before I got to that point. The battery wasn't charged that well to begin with, so this gives me a good chance to make sure everything else is clean and tight.

Thanks again!
            Eddie

Comment

OK. Based on your last 2 posts, fuel wouldn't flow out of the new petcock unless you applied your own vacuum source.
              Are you sure the vacuum line is in good condition?
              With the vacuum line connected to the carb, can you blow into the petcock end of the vacuum line and tell that all is clear?
              Can you show us a closer up pic of your carbs and all hose routing?
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Actually, I think that my fuel problem is solved...I tried to start it this morning with a fresh battery, and although it wouldn't start, I did have good fuel flow. So, problem one is solved as far as I can tell.

Unfortunately, somehow between last night and this morning, I lost my spark! I usually check three things automatically when I tear into something...fuel, spark, and air. So, this morning when it wouldn't start again, and just to make sure that I wasn't doing something horribly wrong, I checked spark at the plugs. Nothing.....so I guess I'll see you guys in a different part of the forum here in a few minutes!

A few other things to add here just for future reference and to help some others out with similar problems, the 1980 fuel petcock on the 550s is a vacuum petcock and it does not have a normal selection lever on it. You can use a small screw driver and change the settings from full horizontal to full vertical. The full horizontal is the normal position and the full vertical is the prime position. In the normal position, fuel flows when the petcock encounters vacuum supplied from the engine through the smaller hose on the petcock. It should not flow otherwise. The engine should provide enough vacuum when you are starting the bike to open the petcock, and you should not have to put it into prime except for a few odd circumstances. If you do need to put it into the prime position, fuel should flow regardless of vacuum or no vacuum. When you put it into prime, fuel should flow freely, which can cause some serious problems when your engine is sitting and the fuel is just constantly trying to make its way into your engine. It does have its uses, though, so be sure that you can move the petcock from normal to prime just in case you ever need to use it. This may have been discussed in a different thread on this forum, but I couldn't find it all in one spot, so I just thought that I would recap for you all.

Thanks again for all the help and I'll talk to you all soon!

Eddie

Comment

The petcock info in the 1980 GS1000 factory manual says you must crank the engine to initiate fuel flow, even in the prime position. Just saying what it states even if it doesn't seem to make sense (we've discussed this long ago). I can't say if the '80 550's petcock is different.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

shuts off

sorry for using this post to ask the question but for some reason it wont let me make my own thread and this looks some what familiar to my problem. i have a 1980 gs750l and my problem is sometimes (every time i was on the freeway) ill be driving then i feel my bike sputter a little then it shuts off i have full tank of gas. i let it chill for a few min then it starts back up no problem. but i have to let it sit or else it wont start it cranks but dont start

Comment

Originally posted by gsbobber View Post
                      sorry for using this post to ask the question but for some reason it wont let me make my own thread and this looks some what familiar to my problem. i have a 1980 gs750l and my problem is sometimes (every time i was on the freeway) ill be driving then i feel my bike sputter a little then it shuts off i have full tank of gas. i let it chill for a few min then it starts back up no problem. but i have to let it sit or else it wont start it cranks but dont start
                      Heat short. Check your wiring for good connection and cleanliness.
                      V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I'm in the process of redoing all of the wiring on my bike.....although since your bike is sputtering before it dies at mid to full throttle on the highway I would say yours is sounding like a petcock issue!! Yours is able to fill the bowls after sitting for a few minutes then will supply fuel until you use the fuel faster than it's able to fill them due to not creating enough flow due to a bad petcock.

When mine would die, it just dies. No sputter, nothing. Like I hit the kill switch and you can hear the starter clutch cycle. OVER..........

Comment

Originally posted by gsbobber View Post
                          Check the breather hole in the fuel cap. If this is blocked the gravity feed to the carbs will be affected. If the tank cannot breath then a vacuum is created in the tank above the fuel instead of atmospheric pressure. You need good atmospheric pressure inside the tank to get the gravity feed required.

Comment

thanks........

Comment

how do u check it

Comment

Pull the lines off of the carbs and just blow through them. If you can its good. If not its blocked. For your tank just open up the fuel cap to test it. If it works great and runs great and dosent stall.. that might be your problem. Just reace it and see if it dies again.

Usually if the carbs are blocked they'll keep sucking more fuel into them and flood the engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X