How do these plugs look to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do these plugs look to you?

I'm worried that I'm burning oil. Did a comp test + plug inspection today, results are in the pics.

Bike is a 1986 GSX750ES, sold in the US as GS700ES. Plugs are after a warm up on idle which required some choke at first, so any rich appearance probably comes from that. The problem is #2 with its ashy flaking, but I guess the compression numbers seem pretty good.

It does consume a bit of oil, but I haven't got a good figure on how much. No noticeable oil smoke when it's running but fellow riders have mentioned an oily smell.

Could it be a good compression ring but a bad oil ring? Or maybe valve guides? Or ... maybe something very simple and easy to fix? Dear plug whisperers and fortune tellers, I beseech thee.

Plugs look good. Oil caused by tired valve stem oil seals will show on start up - a bit of smoke when cold that disappears when warm.

Your numbers look good - nothing to worry about there. If it only uses a bit of oil I wouldn't worry. If it's a lot you'll have to pull the top end apart to have a look at the bores. I'd ride it a lot first though - it might cure itself.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

If you want to do a plug reading? Get a set of new plugs first

Comment

Where's Jim when you need Him.

"time for an "Italian tune-up". (ride the snot out of it)
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Ola,

To do an acurate plug reading you need

1. New plugs
          2. Plug reading done after a steady throttle opening and chop

Yours look OK for old plugs
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The only thing to be seen is they are not completely oil fouled.

Get new plugs, tune everything up and ride the snot out of it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your replies! I'll try to get a good metric on the oil consumption (lots of good threads about the crankcase vent in the archives by the way, got a problem fixed there just by searching) and see if anything changes. New plugs will go in soon, just need a free morning to do proper chops.

Also, I do spank the old girl as often as I can. In fact, I got a speeding ticket this morning.

Comment

Working...
              X