GS850G - Low Throttle Stutter - Excess Fuel Consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G - Low Throttle Stutter - Excess Fuel Consumption

This is a continuation of my GS850G Fuel Upgrades thread located here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=158372

I figured I'd start a new thread with a new title.

Bike:
    GS850G
    V&H 4-1 exhaust
    Stage 3 dyno kit (165 mains - the rest is stock besides larger slide holes and the air corrector that came with the dyno kit)
    Emgo pod filters
    Mixture screws - 4.5 turns out (as recommended by the dyno kit instructions)

I finally got back around to synchronizing the carbs last night. It was a pain in the ass to find the right settings, but I think all went well. The one thing I did notice is that the vacuum was around half of what I expected. Instead of the 11.25inHg on #1&4 and 10inHg on #2&3 I was aiming for, it was closer to 5-6inHg when they were finally synced. Is that because of the exhaust & air filter modifications, or am I just waaaay off of where I'm supposed to be?

I also tried adjusting the mixture? screws using the highest rpm method, but I couldn't notice any difference, so I just put them back to the 4.5 out that dyno recommended.

The problems I'm still having are a low rpm stuttering and stalling when I come to a stop light. I'm guessing I can fix the stalling just by increasing the idle stop screw.. but I'm worried about that. I've been moving that sucker around quite a bit since it revved up too high when I first started it, then decreased after that.

In addition to the stuttering problem, I took it out for a 25-30ish mile ride (just to get some road time in) and I went through half a tank of gas!! That's around 10mpg??

I never really got it above 4k rpm, with most of the time at around 1/4 throttle so I'm thinking it's just running waaay too rich on the pilot circuit? When I cranked back the throttle a bit it did have GREAT power and smooth running.

So which way do I turn those mixture screws to lean that out? In? Should that fix my stuttering? Are there any tips for the "highest rpm" calibration? What if at highest rpm it's still far too rich?

Wow, I tend to write a lot on these forums.. ha.

Anyway, any help would be really appreciated. Thanks all!

Originally posted by vicimus View Post
    This is a continuation of my GS850G Fuel Upgrades thread located here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=158372

I figured I'd start a new thread with a new title.

Bike:
    GS850G
    V&H 4-1 exhaust
    Stage 3 dyno kit (165 mains - the rest is stock besides larger slide holes and the air corrector that came with the dyno kit)
    Emgo pod filters
    Mixture screws - 4.5 turns out (as recommended by the dyno kit instructions)

I finally got back around to synchronizing the carbs last night. It was a pain in the ass to find the right settings, but I think all went well. The one thing I did notice is that the vacuum was around half of what I expected. Instead of the 11.25inHg on #1&4 and 10inHg on #2&3 I was aiming for, it was closer to 5-6inHg when they were finally synced. Is that because of the exhaust & air filter modifications, or am I just waaaay off of where I'm supposed to be?

I also tried adjusting the mixture? screws using the highest rpm method, but I couldn't notice any difference, so I just put them back to the 4.5 out that dyno recommended.

The problems I'm still having are a low rpm stuttering and stalling when I come to a stop light. I'm guessing I can fix the stalling just by increasing the idle stop screw.. but I'm worried about that. I've been moving that sucker around quite a bit since it revved up too high when I first started it, then decreased after that.

In addition to the stuttering problem, I took it out for a 25-30ish mile ride (just to get some road time in) and I went through half a tank of gas!! That's around 10mpg??

I never really got it above 4k rpm, with most of the time at around 1/4 throttle so I'm thinking it's just running waaay too rich on the pilot circuit? When I cranked back the throttle a bit it did have GREAT power and smooth running.

So which way do I turn those mixture screws to lean that out? In? Should that fix my stuttering? Are there any tips for the "highest rpm" calibration? What if at highest rpm it's still far too rich?

Wow, I tend to write a lot on these forums.. ha.

Anyway, any help would be really appreciated. Thanks all!
    Did you over oil your pods? Just a thought...

Comment

Actually, that was another question. The description when I bought the pods said that it wasn't necessary to oil the one's I have, so I didn't. Were they full of sh*t, and should I oil them anyway?

Comment

Your most likely too rich DJ 165 is a big jet Try one of the smaller jets from the kit

Comment

Hi,

Is that 165 jet a Dynojet size or Mikuni size? (DJ and Mikuni use different criteria for measuring their jets.) Stock main jet for the 850 is a #115. For pipes and pods you'd normally start with about 4 sizes up, which would be a Mikuni #125 main jet. Did you change any other jets with the DJ kit?

These are the stock jets for the GS850 ('80+)
          Main Jet = #115
          Main Air Jet = 1.7
          Jet Needle = 5D50
          Needle Jet = X-5
          Pilot Jet = #40

When you were synchronizing your carbs, did you set your idle at about 2000 rpm? Use the idle set screw or the throttle cable adjustment at the handlebar.

When adjusting the idle mixture screws, turning them in (clockwise) leans out the mixture. Turning them out (counter-clockwise) richens the mixture.

And I found this on some guy's website:

Plug Chops-Highest RPM Methods
          (by Mr. tkent02 and Mr. psyguy)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Is the main jet even having an effect on low rpm riding? I'm talking under 1/4 throttle to just over 1/4 throttle. I barely had it above that.. though when I did, she sure was fun

Comment

@BassCliff - It was the 165 from the dynojet kit. I didn't realize they were different than standard mikuni jet sizes.

I did synchronize at 2k rpm, though I definitely had some issues where it would rev up to 4k and I'd need to keep adjusting the idle stop screw (definitely overheated at some point to judging by the discoloration on my #1 exhaust header now.) #3 & #4 were giving over 12-15 inHg at first while #1 & #2 continued to show around 5 inHg. When they were all even-ish it ended up being more towards the 5 inHg side of things.

Actually, while I'm on that subject... I read on here that they should all be EVEN instead of the two outer carbs being higher when using pods because it's the airbox that creates that difference? Is that bogus?

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                Your most likely too rich DJ 165 is a big jet Try one of the smaller jets from the kit
                Same one I have in my 850.
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                .................________-|___\____
                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

The DJ kits are for the K&N pods. You'll be fat all the way around with those cheapo pods and the stage three DJ kit.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Your most painless way to cure the problem is to either switch to the K&N pods or buy the cheaper V&H ones that Ape sell.

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Is there a good way to test if it's the filters? Would running with no filters help me troubleshoot?

Comment

Anybody? Before I spend another $130 on filters?

Comment

Originally posted by vicimus View Post
                          Anybody? Before I spend another $130 on filters?

Cant hurt to try as long as you dont run it for miles. Run it without the filters and see what happens.
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                          .................________-|___\____
                          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Guess I'll try it around the block tomorrow morning and see how she runs.

@Octain, you said you have the 165's from the DJ kit? Do you have aftermarket exhaust and K&N filters too?

I was thinking if it still runs poorly with the pods off completely, that I'd try decreasing the main jet size and see if that helps.

Comment

Where are you guys getting these instructions? 4.5 turns out is rediculous! That's the top end of adjustability boardering on wide open. There is the reason your bike is sucking gas. Put the pilots at two and a half or three turns out, max. Stock pilot jets. Use em. Adjust the needle clip down untill the surging and popping go away. Either the third clip from the bottom or one above or below. Four and a half turns is recockulous. You're like the third person I've seen post that and I'm thinking someone made a misprint in your instructions. Mine say 2.5. Everyones I've see. Say 2.5.

Comment

Working...
                              X