Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I remove a messed up pilot screw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I remove a messed up pilot screw?

I managed to booger up the end of one of the pilot screws. Is there an ez-out or something similar that I can reach down there with? It is such a small hole to begin with.
    I have to get it out.

Never done it myself but some have had success with an easy out or a left hand bit and HEAT. The heat I think is key. But the easyouts are scary to me. I don't like em. If you can get pruchase to it with a long skinny center punch or screwdriver and give the edge of what's left of the slot a good couple raps with a light hammer it might break it loose to get it out. Good luck! If ya end up screwed i know someone who might have another bs34 for your KZ that I could pick up for you. Lemme know.

Comment

George, I would also try the LH bit and heat first before the easy out. Can you get some PB blaster or Deep Creep in from the inside of the carb or is the screw bottomed out?
      82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
      81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
      83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
      06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
      AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

You can use the patented debugging tool. Removes stuck bolts, tight screws, unwanted scratches, fixes unruly PC's, takes carbs off easily.

*May effectively removes some parts too effectively. Contains lead. A chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm if those products expose consumers to such chemicals above certain threshold levels. Use in a well ventilated area, always wear protective gear. Keep safe from children, Always use under proper adult supervision. Never attempt to use on the bike while moving. Do not use on a friends bike. After use parts replacement may benecessary. May scare liberals, Might not be legal in california, New york, or Massachutsets. May be required in the state of Texas. May not be endorsed by BassCliff except on days or nights when hes been drinking... heavily. We are not responsible for other applications you may find this product useful for. Warranty void if seal is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Danjal View Post
          You can use the patented debugging tool. Removes stuck bolts, tight screws, unwanted scratches, fixes unruly PC's, takes carbs off easily.

*May effectively removes some parts too effectively. Contains lead. A chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm if those products expose consumers to such chemicals above certain threshold levels. Use in a well ventilated area, always wear protective gear. Keep safe from children, Always use under proper adult supervision. Never attempt to use on the bike while moving. Do not use on a friends bike. After use parts replacement may benecessary. May scare liberals, Might not be legal in california, New york, or Massachutsets. May be required in the state of Texas. May not be endorsed by BassCliff except on days or nights when hes been drinking... heavily. We are not responsible for other applications you may find this product useful for. Warranty void if seal is broken.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
            George, I would also try the LH bit and heat first before the easy out. Can you get some PB blaster or Deep Creep in from the inside of the carb or is the screw bottomed out?
            It turned slightly before I boogered it up. I then dipped it for 24 hours hoping that would loosen it, to no avail.
            Where can I find a LH bit?
            TCK, it is a BS34SS that only came in the 82-85 GPz 750s. Is this what you are referring to?
            Thanks for the ideas, BTW.

Comment

Had a problem where my mixture screws were all goobered up. I went and got a 3/32 engraving bit for my dremel and made the slot deeper into the screw. just enough so the screwdriver could grab. Heated it up a lil and came right out!

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                It turned slightly before I boogered it up. I then dipped it for 24 hours hoping that would loosen it, to no avail.
                TCK, it is a BS34SS that only came in the 82-85 GPz 750s. Is this what you are referring to?
                Thanks for the ideas, BTW.
                Bs34 is a BS34.. unless they did something special?? Take some pics of the jet area, bowls etc.. If its the same as a GS, (which im pretty sure it is, Mikuni didnt do anything special aside from the port spacing rails that *I* am aware of for a GS or KZ/GPZ, and speaking of, you sure its a 34 and not a 32??? For some reason i thought you had a GPZ11)

Comment

Give us a pic.
                  I've gotten many of these out with heat and a dremmel.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The set I used was from Sears.
                    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                    AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Northern Tool has em.
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                      .................________-|___\____
                      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        Bs34 is a BS34.. unless they did something special?? Take some pics of the jet area, bowls etc.. If its the same as a GS, (which im pretty sure it is, Mikuni didnt do anything special aside from the port spacing rails that *I* am aware of for a GS or KZ/GPZ, and speaking of, you sure its a 34 and not a 32??? For some reason i thought you had a GPZ11)
                        Here is a quote from Robert Barr: "I've never seen these particular carbs before." Not really an inspiring email, considering I was too far into them to stop at that time. Not his fault either, this bike is unique in many ways.
                        I'm still struggling with the o-rings, only half of them were correct. The air screw and drain screw are different (and the choke plunger, which had no o-ring at all). Nessism worked with me on that, I now have o-rings for the air screw.
                        Quite certain they are BS34s.
                        The KZs of the same era used Keihins.
                        I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

Comment

Got it

You guys are awesome. While this was going on, I had placed the carb in the oven to bake on the black engine enamel paint. Since you mentioned using heat, I pulled it out and placed it on my bench (using an oven mitt, of course). With some invective, time and effort, I got it out.

Comment

You guys are awesome. While this was going on, I had placed the carb in the oven to bake on the black engine enamel paint. Since you mentioned using heat, I pulled it out and placed it on my bench (using an oven mitt, of course). With some invective, time and effort, I got it out.
                            *Sniff*

I just love a happy ending.

This one had me on the edge of my seat.

Also, Harbor Freight has left-handed drill bits (but they might be sick of seeing you in there). And, I swear, they are of surprisingly good quality. Or at least I got a set made on the good day.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              *Sniff*

I just love a happy ending.

This one had me on the edge of my seat.

Also, Harbor Freight has left-handed drill bits (but they might be sick of seeing you in there). And, I swear, they are of surprisingly good quality. Or at least I got a set made on the good day.
                              Hey, I'm stilll learning. This is my first go-round with CV carbs. The last carb I worked on was a lot simpler, and was attached to a 1973 RD 350.
                              And yeah, I'm not saying I go to HF a lot, but the manager does know me by my first name.

Comment

Working...
                              X