Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After applying throtle the revs are slow to return to idle speed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After applying throtle the revs are slow to return to idle speed.

Hi

When my 1980 GS550ET revs it takes a while for the revs to return to idle speed.

Thanks Dan

Have you done any work to the bike ie. cleaned the carbs, replace needed o-rings, tightened and sealed all air leaks?

Welcome to the fourm. BassCliff will be along shortly to roll out the carpet for you.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Dan,

Your "mega-welcome", should you decide to accept it, contains two very important maintenance lists, tasks which are necessary to ensure the safety and reliability of your motorcycle. It also contains many other links to very important information which will be necessary for your assignment. Choosing to ignore any of the important tasks will leave you in peril of being stranded, a stranger in a strange land, and the membership of GSR may disavow any knowledge of your actions. This post will self-destruct in 10 seconds. Good luck Mr. Dan.

Actually, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Textbook sign of an air leak.

Fix it or your engine will run lean, overheat, and die horribly.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Go to BassCliff's website and download the Air Intake Repair PDF. Although it refers to an 850, the work is very similar to your bike.

Comment

Intake boot O-ring leak.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Does your twist grip snap back when released ?
              If not , your cable(s) need lube or re-routing .
              Check the easy stuff first .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Recheck all your boot clamps.
                These are very easy to overlook.
                Often they feel very tight but aren't.
                Just tightening them a few more turns can make the difference, because
                the same thing happened to me, lol.

Then check your airbox for leaks.
                You might have to goto Lowes or where-ever and buy some weather sealing strips, usually in 10ft small bags and which are adhesive on One side, just find a good size.... Since the GSes use different styles of airboxes, and I don't know what yours looks like.

If that doesn't do it, it's gotta be your your Intake Boot O-rings, or your Boots are simply too worn and hardened, thus cannot properly hold air tight.
                (which requires you take the carbs off.)

But it's probably just one of the First Two up top.

But either way, "RPM's hanging" almost always means Air leak, lol.

So check a few of those out, and let us know.

Comment

Didn't see it mentioned, but make sure the vacuum hose from the carbs to the fuel valve is in good condition and connected.

E

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                    Does your twist grip snap back when released ?
                    If not , your cable(s) need lube or re-routing .
                    Check the easy stuff first .

Cheers , Simon .
                    Hey...I've tried lubing my cables (with WD40) and moving them around, but my throttle doesn't even move when I let it go. I have to force it back by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahalaleel View Post
                      Hey...I've tried lubing my cables (with WD40) and moving them around, but my throttle doesn't even move when I let it go. I have to force it back by hand.
                      I just did this to myself the other night, after installing new grips. Basically, I reinstalled the right-hand controls too far from the end of the handlebar, so the throttle tube was rubbing, which prevented it from returning.

If that's not it, I'd say something was wrong in your carbs requiring further investigation
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I like Simon's approach. It was the first thing that occurred to me as well. And, I might add, one of the check-list items to go through before each ride.

Comment

Yeah it does snap back when i let go, going to try new o-rings on the inlet manifold rubbers.

Comment

Hi again, i have changed the o-rings and all the boots seem to be in good order, would bad tappet clearances affect the thottle not returning to idle speed? That is one thing i hav'nt checked yet.

Comment

Where are the pilot screws set? On my old 550 the idle would hang until the screw were open at least 3 full turns open.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X