When to replace jets versus cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to replace jets versus cleaning

I have yet to make it through all of the points of tuning up my new to me '83 GS650G, but I have managed to order o-rings (thank you cycleorings.com) and am in the process of tracking down Berryman's for use in Canada (could mean a trip across the border or settling for Kleen-Flo).

Right now I'm dealing with a stock airbox and pipes (er...the pipes DO say GS550 on them, but from what I've read they should use the same pipes- I know...assumption #1), and the pipes have major holes in them, but I really want to stay as stock as possible.

So apart from the need to rejet due to non-stock parts in the combustion/exhaust system, are there any signs that would suggest replacing the jets rather than just cleaning them up? I've searched the forum and read plenty on cleanup, but have not yet stumbled across anything particular on this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Derrick
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Cleaning and they should be fine

Comment

You shouldn't need to replace them they're brass, but if they have damage then maybe.

Comment

visible wear would be a major problem especially if it is uneven across all mains. This link shows a worn jet.

Comment

Did you check Lordco for Berrymans? My friend AZR said he found it there.That was 4 years ago.Haven't checked myself yet.

Comment

I called Lordco and Napa, and neither are carrying Berrymans. The word from NAPA is that they can't (or won't) bring it into Canada
            '83 GS650G

Comment

Probably won't because of no French on the labels.Will say no more.....but I want to

Comment

Hey we just got seafoam give them time. It takes a huge staff of federal bureaucrats a long time to do a translation.

Do you have options othe than NAPA and CT? AutoPArtsPlus always seems to have a good range of items.

Comment

We're bereft of a great selection of supply stores in the Lower Mainland. I know that AutoPartsPlus carries Berryman. I saw that on their website.

Funny enough, LordCo carries SOME Berryman products, but not their Chem-Dip, so I suspect it is not a label and language issue. Somewhere along the way I read that Chem-Dip used to contain methyl ethyl ketone (MEK), and does not any longer (to conform to California's environmental laws). Curiously enough, I can buy MEK from my local fibreglass supply house. I'm wondering whether I can just add a finger or two to Kleen-Flo to make it work as well as Berryman, or if it is going to react and give me the worst eyebrow job ever

Fortunately, an easy ride or drive across the border into Blaine, WA will probably make Berryman's a possibility, as they have a NAPA and a couple of the other large auto supply stores.
                  '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                    visible wear would be a major problem especially if it is uneven across all mains. This link shows a worn jet.
                    http://www.factorypro.com/products/M...e_jet_buy.html
                    Thanks for the link to the image of the jet. I think that little ovalling might be subtle enough to miss in the dim light of my garage. I'd probably have to look at it under a microscope at work
                    '83 GS650G

Comment

A product that we have available in Canada is called Hydrosol. (napa, carquest) Works just as well with just an overnight dip.

Probably won't because of no French on the labels.Will say no more.....but I want to
                      Le Bariman's ?? Quest que ces ca?
                      Last edited by Mekanix; 05-18-2011, 01:38 AM.
                      Stephen.
                      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                      GS twin wiki

Comment

The float needle valve wears out. I have personally never seen jets wear out.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                        X